mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Maxxis ardent vs aggressor rear tire

I've been running a hr2 front 29x2.3 and love it. Igniter 29x2.1 rear and have also had good experience with it except it wears quite fast and is a little harsh with smaller size. I swapped out my summer set of ardent 2.4-ikon 2.35 and put the ardent on the rear with hr2 front. I know this is messed up bc wider tire in the rear. But I really love this setup.. so my question is, should I stick with this setup and just be goofy or go with a 2.25 ardent, or how is the 2.3 aggressor as a rear tire? Thanks in advance

No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by Hbnel5on View Post
    But I really love this setup..
    That's all that really matters. If it works for you and you like it, go with it.
    Less isn't MOAR

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Hbnel5on View Post
    how is the 2.3 aggressor as a rear tire?
    Awesome.

Better than an Ardent. I can live my life without owning another Ardent.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

MTB B'dos
    Agree with Sideknob, if you like the setup and it works for you, then that's all that really matters. Me personally, not a fan of the Ardents, front or rear, 2.25 or 2.4", found they are really not good at anything. If you want something similar to the Ignitor, but with a bit more, the Aggressor would be the ticket IMHO.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Aggressor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ChvleSS956c View Post
    Aggressor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    How will it compare to the hr2 front?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    How will it work in conjunction with the hr2 up front? As far as rolling and stuff

mtbr member
    Does the Aggressor 2.5WT roll as well as the Ardent 2.4" as a rear tyre?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I have used both--the Ardent probably rolls a bit better and the Aggressor probably has a bit more traction---but around Santa Cruz I honestly could not tell a difference---so gave the aggressor to my sister to use.

Ride what works for you in your area----opinions on tires are all over the place and generally useless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    I have used both--the Ardent probably rolls a bit better and the Aggressor probably has a bit more traction---but around Santa Cruz I honestly could not tell a difference---so gave the aggressor to my sister to use.

Ride what works for you in your area----opinions on tires are all over the place and generally useless.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Awesome.

Better than an Ardent. I can live my life without owning another Ardent.
    This. The narrow side nobs fold under hard cornering. The Aggressor has beefier side nobs and is far more predictable.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I just put a 2.5" DHF WT on the front with a 2.3" Aggressor on the rear with E*13 wheels. I love the combo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post

Hey - how the the Ardents hold up in the summer time when it's get dry/dusty? I test rode Santa Cruz 5010 at Wilder Ranch. They had Ardent Race on them and it was a complete skid road. Made me cross off the 5010 as an option altogether.

mtbr member
    Ardent Race is on the opposite end of the spectrum of Ardent 2.4.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Yes an Ardent 2.4 is a totally different tire than the Ardent race----I find the Ardents in Santa Cruz to work well---I do not thing about them while riding---good.

Today I rode a massive day at Fort Ord----it is getting pretty sandy--like a few inches in several places-and a dusting in many places-the ardents struggled but I honestly do not know what works in those conditions

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've got a 29x2.6 Rekon on front paired up with a 29x2.4 Ardent on the rear. It's a new combo Im trying where the rear used to be a 29x2.3 Aggressor. The Aggressor was very grippy with thick side walls that minimized cuts on the sharp rocks on my rocky trails, but compared to the Ardent, it was draggy. The Ardent flies. Caveat is I don't lean hard so I don't really challenge the side knobs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uly View Post
    I've got a 29x2.6 Rekon on front paired up with a 29x2.4 Ardent on the rear. It's a new combo Im trying where the rear used to be a 29x2.3 Aggressor. The Aggressor was very grippy with thick side walls that minimized cuts on the sharp rocks on my rocky trails, but compared to the Ardent, it was draggy. The Ardent flies. Caveat is I don't lean hard so I don't really challenge the side knobs.
    I am running a similar setup but with Forekasters in the rear. The 2.6 Rekon kills it on the super loose hard corners. The Forkaster is one of the best all around tires but does have a bit more rolling resistance then the Ardent. I also found the Ardent really didn't hold up well to hard cornering but it did roll pretty well. I am heavy and ride fairly hard and fast so a lighter rider may find them better.

I am Walt

Maxxis ardent vs aggressor rear tire

Quote Originally Posted by Uly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop_Power View Post
    I am running a similar setup but with Forekasters in the rear. The 2.6 Rekon kills it on the super loose hard corners. The Forkaster is one of the best all around tires but does have a bit more rolling resistance then the Ardent. I also found the Ardent really didn't hold up well to hard cornering but it did roll pretty well. I am heavy and ride fairly hard and fast so a lighter rider may find them better.
    I am running the Rekon 2.6 f/Ardent 2.4 r combo on my Intense Primer and echo all of the above. It's a great combo - rolls and hooks up well, and is durable. I just ran it for 12 hours and 99 miles at the 12 Hours of Mesa Verde in a solo effort, with no issues. Can't recommend this combo strongly enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Good stuff

I am a big fan of the forekasters and usually like to run one size up on the front "BMX Style" Like a 2.2R and 2.35F

Still waiting for the 2.6 Forekaster. Porkchop how big of a difference is the 2.6 Rekon to the 2.35 Forekaster rear? I know the Forekaster runs small in the 2.35

I have 30ID width rims and assume that would be ok for all 2.6 rubber

thanks

mtbr member
    The difference is substantial. I don't have it with me now but I would easily say close to 8-10mm in width.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post
    Good stuff

I am a big fan of the forekasters and usually like to run one size up on the front "BMX Style" Like a 2.2R and 2.35F

Still waiting for the 2.6 Forekaster. Porkchop how big of a difference is the 2.6 Rekon to the 2.35 Forekaster rear? I know the Forekaster runs small in the 2.35

I have 30ID width rims and assume that would be ok for all 2.6 rubber

thanks
    Just got an email from Maxxis saying that the Forekaster 29 x 2.6 just got approved for production and should be available in the next 45-90 days. Also asked about Ardent Race 29 x 2.6 but got no response as of yet on that one. Gonna try AR 2.6 rear/Rekon 2.6 front when available.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.