mtbr member

Maxxis Ardent UST vs Specialized Ground Control Grid UST tire for AM bike?

I'm having a hard time deciding between which of the two to use for the upcoming summer season riding and some Enduros. I plan to use as a rear tire for my +34lb AM bike that I ride pretty hard (Banshee Rune V2) and require the extra sidewall protection with UST sidewall on the rear wheel, whereas I can get away running TLR up front. Tire would be primarily for dry and loose conditioned riding and replacing a Specialized Purgatory UST that is on currently w/Butcher 2.3 up front. Anyone with experience between the two and which one may be a little tougher, but still offering good roll and traction? Just in past year, I haved killed at least 4 rear tires that were all TLR and UST with exception of Ardent EXO that blew off the rim and ripped as a rear tire. Outside of that, I liked how it rolled and handled. Oh, tires will be going on Stans Flow EX rim and found Specialized tires work pretty good with Stans rim, whereas I have had issues with single ply Maxxis (Minion and Ardent).

Thanks for any feedback between the two.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    If you've ridden the Ardent on the rear before and liked it, I'd stick with the Ardent LUST. It's a little bit lighter than the Ground Control GRID and likely has less rolling resistance.

The GC GRID likely has more braking and climbing traction, though.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Not an Ardent, but I run a Maxxis UST High Roller 2.35 as a rear tire. Even in the chunk of Moab, it held up great. No issues whatsoever. Rolls and grips very well.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mountain biker
    i went through 5 rear tires last year, they all died from cuts to the sidewall. When I went on my Sedona vacation, I decided not to take any chances and mounted a DH (double-ply casing) 2.35 High Roller. It worked well in dry, dusty conditions. I mounted it tubeless to a Flow EX as well. It's only a marginal weight gain over an EXO casing I think. For the peace of mind I found it worth it. Maybe it's something to have in your quiver: horses for courses sort of thing.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post
    i went through 5 rear tires last year, they all died from cuts to the sidewall. When I went on my Sedona vacation, I decided not to take any chances and mounted a DH (double-ply casing) 2.35 High Roller. It worked well in dry, dusty conditions. I mounted it tubeless to a Flow EX as well. It's only a marginal weight gain over an EXO casing I think. For the peace of mind I found it worth it. Maybe it's something to have in your quiver: horses for courses sort of thing.
    Thanks and funny you mentioned as I just put on a 2.5 HR single ply, wire bead out back the other week. Only did one ride on it and mounted tubeless fine, but noticed some added rolling resistance, especially on the climb up compared to a UST Purg 2.3 w/tube that is even heavier. I like HR's, but 2.35 is just too small, more like 2.1 max and 2.5 is just a tad big on the rear on a little more roll resistance than I would want.

Thanks for the feedback. Imagine the the Ardent to maybe roll a little faster than GC UST due a little smaller knobs and harder rubber at 60/70 compared to 60/50 I believe with Spesh GC.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Jgusta why are you replacing the purgotory rear do you not like it. Currently I ride with minion dhf and ardent rear on v2 spitfire but I was thinking of going to butcher front purg rear on wtb i23's. I live in Scotland where it wet a lot so was gonna use this combo all year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyninja View Post
    Jgusta why are you replacing the purgotory rear do you not like it. Currently I ride with minion dhf and ardent rear on v2 spitfire but I was thinking of going to butcher front purg rear on wtb i23's. I live in Scotland where it wet a lot so was gonna use this combo all year.
    Butcher/Purg combo works great and is my go to for wet conditions and most of the year in PacNW as it loves wet loam. During the drier months, I don't need the extra tread of Purg out back and I just recently ripped a rear Purg UST and have to run a tube now. So need to replace it if wanting to run tubeless again, which I prefer to tubes with Enduro racing. I had a Minion 2.5 wire front/HR 2.5 wire rear mounted last week, but blew off the Minion up front when landing a double bad as it was mounted tubeless and ripped tire, damaged newly built front wheel with chipped rim (1 day old), bent bars and scuffed body badly to not want to run Maxxis single ply tubeless again (unless UST of course). Specialized tires (2bliss or UST) work pretty good with Stans rims so I have found.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks reckon butcher purg combo will be good for Scotland.

mtbr member
    Ended up going with an Ardent UST. It mounted to rim great and holding air with no sealant. Maxxis UST rubber is pretty stout in the sidewalls and tire rolls quite fast with enough knobs to grip on. Sizing as rear tire on Flow EX rims is pretty much perfect for me with Butcher 2.3 up front. Can't wait to hit trails with it tomorrow afterwork as it looks and rolls even faster than my Purg. Thanks for the suggestion all!
    Ride On!