mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Maxxis Ardent rear tire pressures

I've got a 150mm travel Trek Remedy and been using the 2.4 Ardent front and 2.25 rear as my trail tires.

I've been running the front at 24psi and rear at 28 and weight 170.

Today I had a flat and pumped the tire to an unknown psi and had an awesome day on the bike. Traction for miles. The bike stuck like never before. Get back to the car and the rear tire was at 34psi. Wuuut?

Anyone run them that high? I've always thought with the Ardent to run them a bit lower to get the aggressive side knobs to bite and I've never tried that high to see what it was like. At 24psi the front sticks like crazy, but the back traction in the past never matched the front. Today at the super high pressure it did.

Thought? Have I just been doing it wrong in terms of read pressure?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I weigh 170 and run mine at 32 on a 29" wheel [and about 24 in a 2.4 Ardent on the front] so 34 sounds about right. I found an extra four pounds or so seemed to help on this tire in back. In my experience, the 2.25 and 2.4 are really different tires despite the similar tread pattern.

Theory gets you the ballpark pressure but you have to adjust for a particular tire. I think the 'center intensive' pattern of the 2.25 doesn't react well to lowering the pressure and just induces more squirm under power in the middle; the transition knobs aren't really plentiful or sturdy enough to do much out back.

I'm running one because it was free and I'm waiting [since November!] for a 2.3 Spesh Ground Control to come into stock, which could be a long wait after MBA gushed about them. From my experience with the 2.1, I think it will be a less pressure sensitive tire, which is the reverse of my experience with the Ardents. I just swapped the front to a 2.3 Purgatory and for me it's better for where I'm riding most, but I've kept the Ardent for when I want a bigger and tougher casing. And it's a fun tire to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the input. The 2.4 is a big tire with bigger (true) transition knobs and I love them for the front. Maybe more pressure on the 2.25 in the back keeps the tire's shape and goes into those side knobs better vs folding in on itself. Dunno, but it sure feels dynamite.

I guess I should have noticed that my tire has a weird rubber wear pattern on the sidewall where the sidewalls were folding from the lower pressure. I've just never associated that for some reason with "less rear grip".

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Depends on the rim as well - Ardent is a tall tire even in 2.25 and for me it requires quite a high pressure on narrow rims like my 717s.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've got some of the wider stuff out there as I'm using the Flow EX.

mtbr member
    I picked up the Ardent 26 x 2.4 EXO front and back for my Moab trip last week and put about 70 miles on them; running about 23 up front, 27 on the back, tubeless. I'm older and generally a weight weenie (normally run a 2.1 RaRa/2.25 NoNi combo) and I was absolutely blown away by how fast these things climbed for me, especially given their weight and size - 62 mm for the tread width. They float through sand, BTW. Love them. As to MBA's write up on tires....they have always loved the Nevegals. Plus their only complaint with the Ardent is they're not tubeless ready, but they work tubeless extremely well - need almost no Stans at all; no leaking, no burping. I'm taking their report with a grain of salt.