mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Maxxis Ardent EXO vs Minion DHF EXO for rear

Right now I have the Minion DHF EXO on the front and rear and was wondering if the Ardent EXO would be a better rear tire choice. Any thoughts?

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bcall8 View Post
    Right now I have the Minion DHF EXO on the front and rear and was wondering if the Ardent EXO would be a better rear tire choice. Any thoughts?
    Yes, those Ardent's are very grippy tires and lighter as well. I have run Minions, High Rollers, Nevega'ls, and a couple others front and rear, and I choose the Ardent's & Nevegal's over them all, especially as a rear tire. The only negative with the Nevegal's is they are heavier than the Ardent's.

I know a few other riders that brag all the time about those Ardent's. So basically it falls into a personal preference. Good luck and the best riding!

On-On!

Dive Bomber
    Ardent is fast rolling, I try it on rear on grass and it's surprisingly light.
    Ardent diameter is bigger, it's a tall sidewall tires.

I use 2.40 for onroad feels like 700c except it's fat and chubby.

Pics to compare Ardent 2.40 rear 2.25 front Vs. Nevegal 2.35 on Rigida DiscBull

mtbr member
    I also like the Ardent as a rear tire for the most part. It rolls faster than the Minion (like someone else mentioned, with higher pressure it feels like a road tire on pavement and hardpack), but doesn't have quite as much climbing and braking traction. Corning traction is about the same with the exception of the break away point being a bit more predictable on the Minion.

Edit: Once you learn that you have to throw the bike into corners with a pretty agressive lean angle the ardent is very predictable..... it's just not as gradual.
    Last edited by KRob; 02-01-2012 at 10:54 AM.