Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

MAXXIS Aggressor....

Up until a couple weeks ago I was sold on the faster rolling / lightweight tires benefit. Then I rode at Pisgah and realized as much as I love my Ikon 2.35 in the rear it was holding me back, and maybe that 2.4 Ardent in front would be better suited out back.

I had a chance to ride Bailey MTB park and my buddy had just put an aggressor on the rear of his Canfield Balance....I took it down the mountain and was suprised at the grip it gave, similar to the Minion DHR/DHF I was riding on the SC V10 Dh bike I was renting that day, but faster rolling.

When I got back home I had my friend at the LBS order me a 27.5x2.3 Aggressor for the front of my Blur and moved the Ardent to the back. If there is one downside of the aggressor its that it might be on the narrow side for a 2.3...on my measly 22mm id rims it measured 57.36mm, the Ardent 2.4 measured 60.1mm on the same rim. However once I rode it I forgot about that size difference. The tire gives up a small amount of speed to the Ardent but it gives grip that is on par with a Minion DHF and definitely rolls faster than the Minion does. I was looking for that tire to slot into that middle ground between Ardent and Minion I think this tire is it. I was slightly interested in the Tomahawk initially but its lack of tread depth and lack of center tread turned me off to it. Aggressor rocksMAXXIS Aggressor....-20160322_192532.jpg
    2014 27.5" SC Blur TRa - 2014 IP-106 Chiner 29er - 2005 Fuji Team SL 16.2lbs -

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Looks like it could be a good single speed rear.

mtbr member
    How would you compare it to the High Roller II?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I tried one on the rear and bought one for the front the next day. So much better than the Nevegals they replaced in every way. Great tire

Robertson
    Really wish they made this tire in 29. This front and Tomahawk rear would be my dream setup

Rocks belong
    I guess I'm confused. What does this offer (as a front tire) that the DHF doesn't offer? Or the HR2? Or the DHR2?
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Better rolling resistance?

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    Maxxis recently released the Aggressor in 29x2.3.
    of course they did cause i literally just ordered new tires
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Kona Process 111
    2017 Ritchey P29er
    2018 Trek Domane SL6

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Did you get the Double Down model or EXO? Double Down gets you 120TPI, but adds a fair amount of weight, +200g.

Looking at replacing Bontrager SE3 Team Issue with Aggressor in the rear. Not pleased with the lifespan I'm getting from the Bonty. Casing is getting 1/16" holes in it well before the tread is anywhere near wearing out. I ride a lot of rocks, some sharp, in PA; but was expecting more from a reinforced enduro spec'd tire. Stans is plugging the holes, but Stans plugs are either failing or new holes are showing up on every rides as of late.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Better rolling resistance?
    You think? It doesn't look any faster than the DHR2? Knobs don't appear to be ramped

mtbr member
    Watching... Run a hr2 rear during fall winter or a dhr2 and a ardent 2.4 rear in spring summer. Maybe this can b my fall/winter rear tire

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    You think? It doesn't look any faster than the DHR2? Knobs don't appear to be ramped
    Dunno, but I wouldn't try a DHR 2 BECAUSE it's ramped.
    I want a square leading edge on the single speed rear.

mtbr member
    DHRII, HRII = running in Molasses!! (as rear tyres go...)

Aggressor looks a lot meatier in the flesh o_0

-----------------------------------------------------------
    #1 resolution... Ride it like I stole it!!
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Meatier = faster?

Don't get me wrong, the tire looks awesome... I just don't understand where it falls in Maxxis' existing lineup:

Minion SS = faaaaaaaast. bomber cornering grip, compromised braking/climbing traction
    Ardent = fast, high volume, good braking, OK cornering
    Tomahawk = fast, awesome cornering grip, decent braking/climbing traction
    HR2 = great sloppy conditions tire as well as sand/loam (see HR2's a lot on UK bikes and during UK DH races)
    DHR2 = faster than HR2, similar cornering characteristics as DHF, with the knobs tuned to drift earlier and more predictably than DHF. Great front tire with slight knob trimming
    DHF = awesome dry, rocky tire. decent rolling. Perfect for the American Southwest. Can be run front or rear

Aggressor?

Review: Maxxis Aggressor 27.5? x 2.30? Tires | Singletracks Mountain Bike News

Here's about the best information I've found on the Aggressor thus far:

Where some riders may prefer a faster rolling rear, particularly for racing, the Aggressor compensates by allowing you to go faster simply from the control it gives you. I personally would prefer the consistency of this tire to hold tight to the ground than forfeit some of that bite for the rear-tire speed you get by removing center knobs.
    If you are looking for a DH-oriented style tire that bridges the gap between the High Roller IIs and the Minion line, I would strongly recommend trying the Aggressor. Iís full-height knobs with wide spacing is excellent for traction on groomed terrain and loose surfaces.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    FWIW, Ritchey Rude crushed it last weekend with an Aggressor in the rear. Of course he ran the double down 120tpi version.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Put one of these on the back of my bike with the double down casing. Rolls reasonably fast grips very well at all lean angles and drifts predictably with good braking and climbing traction. The casing is nice and meaty with reinforcement around the bead area, still feels solid at lower pressures.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I recently put a 27.5" 2.35 Ignitor on my bike. Holy crap, its so narrow compared to a 2.35 nobby nic. I don't know what to think about Maxxis...

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by legitposter View Post
    I recently put a 27.5" 2.35 Ignitor on my bike. Holy crap, its so narrow compared to a 2.35 nobby nic. I don't know what to think about Maxxis...

Cool story.

mtbr member
    I guess I'm confused. What does this offer (as a front tire) that the DHF doesn't offer? Or the HR2? Or the DHR2?
    It rolls better, its noticeable. IMO it has all the grip of the Minion too.

mtbr member
    That has nothing to do with the topic at all.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    What rim width are you guys running these on? I am thinking about one for the rear with a DHRII or DHF up front. My rims are 32mm IW which has been fine for the 2.3 Minions and 2.35 Ikons I swap between.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by andyfloyd View Post
    That has nothing to do with the topic at all.
    Yes it does. Maxxis tires. Duh?

mtbr member
    You're being the Aggressor here ;-)

Soz, couldn't resist >.<

"Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    No it doesnt because where in the title did you see me mention a 2.35 Ignitor....oh thats right you didnt because it wasnt in the title.

Rocks belong
    I kinda want an Aggressor on the rear now. I've got a Slaughter mounted and have a Tomahawk and DHR2 in my parts bin... Too many options! lol

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I'm running an Ardent 2.4 front and Spec Ground Control 2.35 rear.
    The Aggressor looks like it could replace the GC quite nicely.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I want the aggressor in a 26"!! Running tomahawk right now and its evident the max terra compound isnt gonna last long.

Oh, and I ate pizza for dinner last night.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    Running tomahawk right now and its evident the max terra compound isnt gonna last long.
    It doesn't. And that's my only complaint on the Tomahawk. Great tire, but I went through two fairly quickly.

I just switched to an Aggressor DD dual-compound. Just waiting for the recent rain to dry out....

mtbr member
    I think the Aggressor is really going to be a great tire. I always loved the Minion but it had just a touch too much rolling resistance for me and was slightly overkill for where I typically ride and now the Aggressor has bridged that gap for me. I only wish Maxxis made the Aggressor in 2.4 or 2.5 as well. Just for anyone wondering I went with the EXO casing the DD would have been overkill for me personally.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The aggressor is too small for my liking, like most maxxis tyres in 2.3 sizing. Interesting though that you say it rolls well when Maxxis themselves say it rolls worse than a Griffin when you look at the ratings on the packaging. I had been waiting for this tyre and had high hopes but was disappointed at the rolling resistance rating and appearance and the sizing. If it came in 2.5 in double down casing and had ramped centre or slightly tighter packaged centre nobs I would have been all over it for a rear. I've settled for the Onza Citius for now though which seems to tick all the boxes.
    Last edited by GRPABT1; 04-03-2016 at 02:28 AM.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    I've settled for the Onza Citius for now though which seems to tick all the boxes.
    An absolute gem of a tire!

Love, love, love my Citius. Debating running Citius FR/rr

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Love, love, love my Citius. Debating running Citius FR/rr

Hokie, what casing are you riding with the Citius? Looking to try something new on my Knolly's. Been riding Conti TK's on both since building them. Also, where did you purchase the Citius?
    *2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom Build*
    *2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom Build*
    *2017 Knolly Warden Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    It's hard to take you serious when you talk like that.

Moderator Moderator
    Did you get the Double Down model or EXO? Double Down gets you 120TPI, but adds a fair amount of weight, +200g.
    That's because it's just two layers of their regular 60tpi casing....

Some tire manufacturers use the actual thread count of their casings in their descriptions, in which case, they are usually lighter, more supple and often more fragile, others the tpi of the entire carcass which is the reverse.

Conti does this as well.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    Hokie, what casing are you riding with the Citius? Looking to try something new on my Knolly's. Been riding Conti TK's on both since building them. Also, where did you purchase the Citius?
    Mine are the 650b, 2.4, FRC120... got them from Universal, but they don't show any stock right now.

It's hard to take you serious when you talk like that.
    Ha. Sorry. I was trying to be different than the normal "awesome tire"

Did another ride on my Citius today.. fast, grippy, wearing well. Great front tire. Curious to try it on the rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    [QUOTE=06HokieMTB;12560168]Mine are the 650b, 2.4, FRC120... got them from Universal, but they don't show any stock right now.

Thanks...how do you think it would work on the rear? Might be interesting to try it F & R.
    *2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom Build*
    *2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom Build*
    *2017 Knolly Warden Custom Build*

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    Thanks...how do you think it would work on the rear? Might be interesting to try it F & R.
    Ha.
    Curious to try it on the rear.
    If you run DHF/DHF, I think you'd really like Citius/Citius. It surprises me how fast it rolls for how much (and how aggressive) of knobs that it has. Nice defined channel between the center knobs and side knobs, but not a super wide gap.

It easily transitions to a strong lean angle and gives good feedback. Minimal 'dead zone' while leaning it over. Likes to be ridden aggressively.

If I didn't have a new Tomahawk and DHR2 sitting in my parts bin, I'd be running my spare Citius on the rear of my HD3.

Running mine on a 29mm internal rim

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Ha.

If you run DHF/DHF, I think you'd really like Citius/Citius. It surprises me how fast it rolls for how much (and how aggressive) of knobs that it has. Nice defined channel between the center knobs and side knobs, but not a super wide gap.

It easily transitions to a strong lean angle and gives good feedback. Minimal 'dead zone' while leaning it over. Likes to be ridden aggressively.

If I didn't have a new Tomahawk and DHR2 sitting in my parts bin, I'd be running my spare Citius on the rear of my HD3.

Running mine on a 29mm internal rim
    This was my thoughts, like a DHF Minion that rolls a bit better but isn't a sketchy as a semi slick. Comparing the EDC casing version I bought (for $30 Australian mind you, a steal) against a Maxxis exo, Maxxis DH and Schwable super gravity it comes in lighter than the DH and SG but heavier than the EXO. It's actually thicker around the base of the sidewall than all of those tyres so I have high hopes for it resisting tears from the sharp rocks where I ride as sidewalls cop it the most. I can't make an EXO last and DH casings sweating Stan's is getting annoying and super gravity Schwable's are just so damned expensive.

I do think the double down Maxxis casing is a good thing though and I'm eager to try the wide track 2.5 minion on the front. Currently about to experiment with a 2.8 Nobby Nic on the front though to see what all this plus fuss is about.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    It doesn't. And that's my only complaint on the Tomahawk. Great tire, but I went through two fairly quickly.
    Yeah, the Max Terra compound should be renamed Max Weara compound! Def need the Tomahawk in a 60d single or 55/65 dual compound. That rear plus Aggressor front would be money for most Enduro type riding. Minions are overkill for trail riding tho they will certainly cover up a lot of rider error! I'm swapping those over to the FR/Park bike.

Have FUN!

G
    Last edited by Gman086; 04-05-2016 at 12:45 AM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Bodhisattva
    Maiden voyage on the aggressor 650 DD dual compound in rear with DHF 2.5 up front.

Aggressor is definitely slower rolling than the Tomahawk, but also superior in terms of forward grip and braking. It's easy to skid the Tomahawk - not so much the aggressor.

Either aggressor or tomahawk works for my local conditions, but until Maxxis makes the Tomahawk in a dual compound DD 650, I'll stick with the Aggressor. I don't want to replace my rear tire every 6 weeks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Might give this tire a shot in the front for Pisgah Enduro this year. I used the Bonty XR4 last year which were also pretty good. Can anyone compare to the XR4 or maybe the Hans Dampf?

Has anyone run it on a wide rim?

Good rear tire to pair it up with?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I've been running a pair of Aggressors for the past month now with about 250 miles on them, coming from a set of DHF's. I have them both in the 3C casing on EX471 rims which are 25mm internal. They roll noticeably better and the cornering grip is awesome. The Aggressors hook up better on the climbs without the ramped knobs, especially on gravelly dirt, and feel like they grip just as well in everything except mud. When pushed really hard in the corners on medium dirt, it feels like they start to drift a tiny bit earlier than the DHF's, but predictably, and most riders won't notice. Also, I've noticed that the transition zone feels more grippy, controllable, and predictable, especially on flat or off-camber corners vs the DHF's which, to me, feel more squirrelly in the transition zone and like you really need to lay those side knobs down and just commit to the corner. Before the DHF's, I tried a set of 2.4 Ardents and the Aggressors are really a great blend between the two. The rolling resistance is almost as good as the Ardents and noticeably better than the DHF's, with cornering grip on par with the DHF's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post

Some tire manufacturers use the actual thread count of their casings in their descriptions, in which case, they are usually lighter, more supple and often more fragile, others the tpi of the entire carcass which is the reverse.

Conti does this as well.
    That's incorrect. Maxxis doesn't add up the threads per inch on all the layers of plies of the body carcass. Only Conti does this, to my knowledge.

A normal Maxxis 60 tpi MTB tire carcass uses 60 tpi Nylon, turned up over the beads. So you end up with two layers of 60 tpi nylon on the sidewalls, and they both overlap under the tread, resulting in 3 layer under the tread.

A Double Down construction uses thinner 120 tpi nylon, but two layers of it, and the turn-ups do no overlap under the tread. So you have 4 layers of 120 tpi nylon on the sidewalls, and 2 layers under the tread.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    A Double Down construction uses thinner 120 tpi nylon, but two layers of it, and the turn-ups do no overlap under the tread. So you have 4 layers of 120 tpi nylon on the sidewalls, and 2 layers under the tread.
    Is it logical to conclude that the tread surface area of the a DD constructed tire is slightly more prone to damage than an Exo based on the tread layering?

Reason I ask, is that I recently tore a big hole in my DD Tomahawk on the tread surface landing a small jump onto a pointy rock. It was bad luck and might have happened to any tire, but I was surprised at the extent of damage compared with the perceived force of impact. The tire is shot....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    Is it logical to conclude that the tread surface area of the a DD constructed tire is slightly more prone to damage than an Exo based on the tread layering?

Reason I ask, is that I recently tore a big hole in my DD Tomahawk on the tread surface landing a small jump onto a pointy rock. It was bad luck and might have happened to any tire, but I was surprised at the extent of damage compared with the perceived force of impact. The tire is shot....
    Actually, I'm not 100% sure the turn-ups of a DD construction do not overlap underneath the tread. That's what I was told, but Maxxis' DD tech graphic seems to indicate otherwise. Since your tire is shot, why don't you cut it and count the layers underneath the tread (if you still have the tire).
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post

Conti does this as well.
    Hey Harryman, Maxxis guy chiming in again. There is definitely some inconsistency in how manufacturers measure TPI in tires, especially with road tires. With our tires we are truthful with rating the TPI of the casing fabric without multiplying the TPI count for added layers. Our 60 TPI tires are a single-ply 60 TPI construction, 120 TPI same, ONE70 road and MTB bike tires 170 TPI construction (comparable to 340 TPI the way the competition measures their tires).

DoubleDown tires are a dual-ply 120 TPI construction, featuring two full layers of 120 TPI casing fabric in order to mimic our DH tire construction but in a lighter package. The hotpatch of the tires has a stamp showing 2x120TPI in order to reflect this construction. Our DH casing is a dual-ply 60 TPI tire weighing in around 400g more than a single-ply casing. The DoubleDown tech was designed to offer similar performance to a DH tire at less weight, normally coming in around 150-200g greater than a single-ply 60 TPI EXO/TR tire and 200g less than a dual-ply 60 TPI DH casing tire.

Glad to hear all the positive comments on the Aggressor. It's been a popular one around the office and among our sponsored teams. Really great trail bike tire for people who want a good balance between braking/climbing bite, all-out cornering grip, and rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Hey Harryman, Maxxis guy chiming in again. There is definitely some inconsistency in how manufacturers measure TPI in tires, especially with road tires. With our tires we are truthful with rating the TPI of the casing fabric without multiplying the TPI count for added layers. Our 60 TPI tires are a single-ply 60 TPI construction, 120 TPI same, ONE70 road and MTB bike tires 170 TPI construction (comparable to 340 TPI the way the competition measures their tires).

DoubleDown tires are a dual-ply 120 TPI construction, featuring two full layers of 120 TPI casing fabric in order to mimic our DH tire construction but in a lighter package. The hotpatch of the tires has a stamp showing 2x120TPI in order to reflect this construction. Our DH casing is a dual-ply 60 TPI tire weighing in around 400g more than a single-ply casing. The DoubleDown tech was designed to offer similar performance to a DH tire at less weight, normally coming in around 150-200g greater than a single-ply 60 TPI EXO/TR tire and 200g less than a dual-ply 60 TPI DH casing tire.

Glad to hear all the positive comments on the Aggressor. It's been a popular one around the office and among our sponsored teams. Really great trail bike tire for people who want a good balance between braking/climbing bite, all-out cornering grip, and rolling resistance.
    Will the Aggressor ever make it as a 2.4 or 2.5?
    Off topic but since we have a Maxxis man present,
    DHRII (650b), will it ever be available in dual compound or Maxxpro AND TR? I would love a 2.4 DHRII DD Maxxpro. For a rear tire it doesn't have any rear tire options. One thing is for sure, as much as I love the DHRII, I will NEVER buy another 3C for the rear. 5 days and their done, worse than Schwalbe.

mtbr member
    Now, only if Maxxis learned how to really measure a tire width. Everyone of them that I've bought has been insanely narrow for its marked width.

I'd be rolling on Maxxis tires if they were higher volume, and actually were a true 2.4-2.5" width.
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Hey Harryman, Maxxis guy chiming in again. There is definitely some inconsistency in how manufacturers measure TPI in tires, especially with road tires. With our tires we are truthful with rating the TPI of the casing fabric without multiplying the TPI count for added layers.
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    That's incorrect.
    Thanks for the replies, I am gladly mistaken. It's somewhat common in road tires IME, maybe not so much in MTB.

As a long time Minion fan, I'm looking forward to giving the Agressor a try next time around, it sounds promising for the gravel I ride on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Any word on the availability of the 29er version? Also has anyone taken actual width measurements?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHit-Maniac View Post
    Now, only if Maxxis learned how to really measure a tire width. Everyone of them that I've bought has been insanely narrow for its marked width.

I'd be rolling on Maxxis tires if they were higher volume, and actually were a true 2.4-2.5" width.
    This is the killer for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    Will the Aggressor ever make it as a 2.4 or 2.5?
    It's likely in the future but not on our current projects list given how happy everybody has been with the 2.30.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    Any word on the availability of the 29er version? Also has anyone taken actual width measurements?
    27.5x2.30 and 29x2.30 should be readily available from all the big distributors. 26x2.30 is still a few months out.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaMatt5000 View Post
    I've been running a pair of Aggressors for the past month now with about 250 miles on them, coming from a set of DHF's. I have them both in the 3C casing on EX471 rims which are 25mm internal. They roll noticeably better and the cornering grip is awesome. The Aggressors hook up better on the climbs without the ramped knobs, especially on gravelly dirt, and feel like they grip just as well in everything except mud. When pushed really hard in the corners on medium dirt, it feels like they start to drift a tiny bit earlier than the DHF's, but predictably, and most riders won't notice. Also, I've noticed that the transition zone feels more grippy, controllable, and predictable, especially on flat or off-camber corners vs the DHF's which, to me, feel more squirrelly in the transition zone and like you really need to lay those side knobs down and just commit to the corner. Before the DHF's, I tried a set of 2.4 Ardents and the Aggressors are really a great blend between the two. The rolling resistance is almost as good as the Ardents and noticeably better than the DHF's, with cornering grip on par with the DHF's.
    You described exactly what I'm looking for. Hope I have the same results.

They are available on the maxxis web store. I haven't seen them on any other vendor sites yet.

I ordered a pair from pushy's in Australia on ebay.

mtbr member
    Jenson has them on back order
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I goy mine from backcountry. Universal cycles has em too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm curious about the weight of these. I saw the 29er 2.3 version had a listed weight if 950g, which sounds a bit heavy to me?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I have two brand new 29er aggressors for sale if anyone is looking.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I got 54.57mm mounted on a light bikes wide carbon rim. That's only about a mm wider than the ardent race 2.2 on my back wheel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    I got 54.57mm mounted on a light bikes wide carbon rim. That's only about a mm wider than the ardent race 2.2 on my back wheel.
    How about tread width?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    How about tread width?
    What other width is there?

Robertson
    Is that the 38mm outer rim? How squared off is the tire profile on that rim?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I have the old 30mm rims. The tire is pretty square regardless. It reminds me of the nevegal.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Meatier = faster?

Don't get me wrong, the tire looks awesome... I just don't understand where it falls in Maxxis' existing lineup:

Minion SS = faaaaaaaast. bomber cornering grip, compromised braking/climbing traction
    Ardent = fast, high volume, good braking, OK cornering
    Tomahawk = fast, awesome cornering grip, decent braking/climbing traction
    HR2 = great sloppy conditions tire as well as sand/loam (see HR2's a lot on UK bikes and during UK DH races)
    DHR2 = faster than HR2, similar cornering characteristics as DHF, with the knobs tuned to drift earlier and more predictably than DHF. Great front tire with slight knob trimming
    DHF = awesome dry, rocky tire. decent rolling. Perfect for the American Southwest. Can be run front or rear

Aggressor?

Review: Maxxis Aggressor 27.5? x 2.30? Tires | Singletracks Mountain Bike News

Here's about the best information I've found on the Aggressor thus far:
    Nice little write up there. You know your stuff.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Rocks belong
    My Aggressor arrived today. 2.5 DHF up front

mtbr member
    What other width is there?
    Some people measure the outer width of the tire casing and not from tread to tread. I know my Ardent 2.4 is about 63.5 tread to tread. A 9mm difference between the two tires seams like a lot to me, that's why I asked.

mtbr member
    rode 29er exo version today on Yeti Sb5.5c in rocky, loose over hard...great braking, stuck to the rocks with no issues, exo had no issues on rocks known to cut tires. rolls pretty good for a aggressive tire.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    How's the rolling resistance compared to a DHR II? Comparing these to a DHR they might roll faster but the fact it weights more than a DHR (looking at 29x2.30) is making me wonder why not just run a DHR? Does it roll that much faster?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Some people measure the outer width of the tire casing and not from tread to tread. I know my Ardent 2.4 is about 63.5 tread to tread. A 9mm difference between the two tires seams like a lot to me, that's why I asked.
    The tread to tread measurement is only a mm bigger. The edge knobs stand nearly vertical to the widest point of the sidewalls. These are way smaller than a 2.4 ardent.

So I had 4 of these and just sold 2. Now I'm waffling over whether or not to actually use the other two. If they were a little larger I'd be happy. But at the moment I'm wondering why they are heavier than the dhf/dhr

Rocks belong
    The Aggressor does look small. Touch disappointed there as well

mtbr member
    How's the rolling resistance compared to a DHR II?
    Aggressor (2.3 x 27.5) I find is quite a lot faster than the DHR2 when rolling. Now my local trails are starting to get pretty hard packed, you can feel the Aggressor accelerating where the DHR2 would need a little more of a push.
    Traction wise, the Agg isn't quite up to the DHR2 but definitely feels better than the DHF on really loose over hard/hardpack.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I decided to go with wtb trail boss 2.4s. If I'm going to be over 900g I want bigger balloons under me.

So, I have a second pair of aggressor 29s available. One of them was mounted for a few minutes for measuring but no sealant touched it and the tire never rolled on the ground.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    i have the aggressor mounted upfront, but still deciding at the back. Any recommendation? Mostly hardpack at my place.

What's in my mind is
    1. Ardent Race
    2. Tomahawk (but not available at my place)
    3. Ardent
    4. Another Aggressor at the back

mtbr member
    I'm running an Ardent Race with the Aggressor up front. Really fast tyre (coming from a DHR2) and works better than a normal Ardent on my local hardpack/loose over hard tracks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by deesta View Post
    I'm running an Ardent Race with the Aggressor up front. Really fast tyre (coming from a DHR2) and works better than a normal Ardent on my local hardpack/loose over hard tracks.
    How's the climb like with this combo?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithyk View Post
    How's the climb like with this combo?
    Surprisingly good. Needs a slightly smoother technique and does spin out in sticky mud but I'm happy to have the extra speed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by deesta View Post
    Surprisingly good. Needs a slightly smoother technique and does spin out in sticky mud but I'm happy to have the extra speed.
    Thanks! Will check out this weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Can't find Aggressors anywhere

I'm a HR and Minion fan but want a double down casing rear for Downieville rocks. Can't find the Aggressor anywhere so I'm going with a Trail Boss 2.4 Tough for my rear to survive D'ville.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jsr36 View Post
    I'm a HR and Minion fan but want a double down casing rear for Downieville rocks. Can't find the Aggressor anywhere so I'm going with a Trail Boss 2.4 Tough for my rear to survive D'ville.
    Good choice. It will handle Downieville no problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    DHRII, HRII = running in Molasses!! (as rear tyres go...)

DHR2 feels fast to me, ESPECIALLY compared to an HR2.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321 View Post
    but the fact it weights more than a DHR (looking at 29x2.30) is making me wonder why not just run a DHR?
    Honestly, I'm questioning the DHR2 weights on Maxxis' website.

The 27.5x2.3 DHR2 is lighter than the Aggressor and Tomahawk (barely).

That doesn't make sense.

What's worse? In the last month I've had all three of these tires and not once did I think to throw them on the scale... Oh well.

mtbr member
    One Aggressor just arrived at my door today and the treads are every bit as large as my Ardent 2.4 that I currently have mounted. I planned on using this as a rear with my 2.4 Ardent out front. It seems 50/50 on this thread using this tire as either frt/rear.

One Aggressor just arrived at my door today and the treads are every bit as large as my Ardent 2.4 that I currently have mounted. I planned on using this as a rear with my 2.4 Ardent out front. It seems 50/50 on this thread using this tire as either frt/rear.
    I'd be more concerned with the side knob flex on the Ardent vs. the Aggressor. I would wager the Aggressor has better traction despite being smaller than the Ardent 2.4.

Bodhisattva

That doesn't make sense.

What's worse? In the last month I've had all three of these tires and not once did I think to throw them on the scale... Oh well.
    not that this answers the question directly, but weights vary.
    Personally weighed on a digital postal scale, my 27.5x2.3 Aggressor DD weighed 1028 gm and my 27.5x2.5 Minion DHF Exo 948 gm

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

That doesn't make sense.

There's big variation among tires, even of the same exact model, but the new DHR2 I have on hand is a 29x2.3 dual compound EXO and it's 854g with the packaging (just the zip tie and label thing). Just as a data point... 27.5x2.3 will obviously be lighter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    I'd be more concerned with the side knob flex on the Ardent vs. the Aggressor. I would wager the Aggressor has better traction despite being smaller than the Ardent 2.4.
    Ya, someone mentioned the Aggressor looking small, but I want it to be narrower, since the 2.4 Ardent rubbed my chain stays. Now I'm looking for a different front tire to try over the 2.4 Ardent. DHR 2 2.3 or Hans Damf 2.35? I thought deciding on a trail bike was hard, but with all the different tire choices it's even more confusing.

Ya, someone mentioned the Aggressor looking small, but I want it to be narrower, since the 2.4 Ardent rubbed my chain stays. Now I'm looking for a different front tire to try over the 2.4 Ardent. DHR 2 2.3 or Hans Damf 2.35? I thought deciding on a trail bike was hard, but with all the different tire choices it's even more confusing.
    I hear ya.

My go to front tire for loose over hard, dust, hardpack, medium loam is the WTB Vigilante. Good wear, not too heavy (784g), good volume, excellent traction at all lean angles. Because of the transition knobs it's not as good as the DHF type tires that lack transition knobs but close enough for me. I prefer linear grip for now until I am better at extreme lean angles.

change is good
    Sep 2004

MAXXIS Aggressor....

So far I like this tire. Better than the Ibex I punctured and a Ardent 2.4 went wet. My trails are mostly rocky with some roots thrown in. I believe it would pack up easily in clay mud. It rides like a bigger tire which it should at 915gm. It steers better at higher speeds than my Ardent and Hans and I think almost as well as my SE5s. It's about the same size as a Purg which put me off initially running it as a front tire. I going to see if I can get by with a 2.25 Ardent in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrDon; 05-08-2016 at 08:14 PM.

Like a BOSS
    I'm anxious to try this tire out. Just waiting for the 27.5 EXO TR to become available again as it's out of stock everywhere. I've been running a DHF/DHRII combo and it's the perfect setup for the trails I ride, it seems that everyone is reporting that the Aggressor rolls a lot better without giving up much grip.
    Adam Christopher
    ♦ Intense M16c Pro
    ♦ Santa Cruz Nomad cc
    ♦ Santa Cruz 5010 cc
    ♦ Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Just an update, I've been running the Aggressor for almost 600 miles now in my rear and switched back to a DHF in front after running an Aggressor up front for a while as well. The DHF is still a better front tire for fast riders, having a bit more ultimate cornering and braking grip. You can just throw the DHF into a corner hard and fast, and it just sticks, whereas the Aggressor starts to push a little sooner but still grips very well. However, the Aggressor does have a bit better feel through the transition zone. As a rear, the Aggressor is awesome. It both hooks up amazingly well climbing on just about any surface and rolls noticeably easier than any Minion or High Roller. It doesn't roll quite as easily as an Ardent, but then an Ardent is no where near as good in corners and braking compared to the Aggressor. It'll drift around nicely if you want it to and hooks up just about as well in the corners as a Minion. DHF/Aggressor is for sure my go-to tire combo now. If I didn't have to climb as much, I'd probably go for a DHR2 in the rear. For reference, I'm in Northern Cal and riding on mostly variable to loose dirt and some hard pack.
    Last edited by MegaMatt5000; 05-10-2016 at 12:04 AM.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    The trails were dry today. My Aggressor/Ardent combo was very nice. The Aggressor is a little heavyish for a trail tire but going down is fun fun fun. The 2.25 Ardent doesn't reward me for being lazy or tired. I have this setup on my 429 Trail. The previously mentioned DHF/Aggressor combo would kill it for aggressive riders. I shouldn't have let the Maxxis casing size put me off in the past. The stiff and tough side walls are appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have two brand new 29er aggressors for sale if anyone is looking.
    Just PM'ed you!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anybody running the 2.3 on a 30mm or so rim? What kind of profile does it have, rounded or squared off?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So many tire options its all getting confusing. I ride in Arizona where its mostly loose over hard or slick rock. My bike came with minion dhr II and while they rolled pretty good I found the cornering lacking. I switched out the rear for a high roller II but accidentally ordered the DH casing and maxxgrip. Traction is amazing but tire overall is slow and wearing extremely fast. Was contemplating trying a DHF front and rear next but the aggressor caught my eye. How does the agressor compare to DHR II and HR II?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Sold them Tuesday!

Quote Originally Posted by samduhspam View Post
    Just PM'ed you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    Really wish they made this tire in 29. This front and Tomahawk rear would be my dream setup
    Aggressor front/Minion SS rear is better. The Tomahawk is nice but Minion SS wins for me. just feels a little faster, and climbing/braking traction seems better in most conditions.

I was on HR2/tomahawk for a while and after going aggressor/Minion SS I've been smashing PRs left and right. The difference is noticeable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Anybody running the 2.3 on a 30mm or so rim? What kind of profile does it have, rounded or squared off?
    Been running the 2.3 on a Heist 30 rim, and it's still a reasonably round profile. Not super squared off or anything.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kumes12688 View Post
    So many tire options its all getting confusing. I ride in Arizona where its mostly loose over hard or slick rock. My bike came with minion dhr II and while they rolled pretty good I found the cornering lacking. I switched out the rear for a high roller II but accidentally ordered the DH casing and maxxgrip. Traction is amazing but tire overall is slow and wearing extremely fast. Was contemplating trying a DHF front and rear next but the aggressor caught my eye. How does the agressor compare to DHR II and HR II?
    I'd say the Aggressor rolls noticeably faster (aggressor > DHR2 > HR2) and cornering is pretty close. I think you'd be really happy with Aggressor front/Minion SS rear. We have lots of dusty loose over hard here in the Pac NW summer and that combo is the best I've ever used.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Pathetically narrow and low volume. (On a 29mm internal width rim)

Seriously though, I really like the Aggressor but am pissed that it's such low volume and measures 2.2 on a wide rim

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Pathetically narrow and low volume. (On a 29mm internal width rim)

Seriously though, I really like the Aggressor but am pissed that it's such low volume and measures 2.2 on a wide rim
    Yes, but the thick casing and prominent side knobs more than make up for lack of girth. I'm not even considering the sub 900gm high volume tires for the front anymore including the pending 2.55 XR4. Size isn't everything. At least that's what I've been told.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kumes12688 View Post
    I'd say get the DHF front for your conditions, great cornering tire, reasonable weight and rolling resistance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast