Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaMatt5000 View Post
    Just an update, I've been running the Aggressor for almost 600 miles now in my rear and switched back to a DHF in front after running an Aggressor up front for a while as well. The DHF is still a better front tire for fast riders, having a bit more ultimate cornering and braking grip. You can just throw the DHF into a corner hard and fast, and it just sticks, whereas the Aggressor starts to push a little sooner but still grips very well. However, the Aggressor does have a bit better feel through the transition zone. As a rear, the Aggressor is awesome. It both hooks up amazingly well climbing on just about any surface and rolls noticeably easier than any Minion or High Roller. It doesn't roll quite as easily as an Ardent, but then an Ardent is no where near as good in corners and braking compared to the Aggressor. It'll drift around nicely if you want it to and hooks up just about as well in the corners as a Minion. DHF/Aggressor is for sure my go-to tire combo now. If I didn't have to climb as much, I'd probably go for a DHR2 in the rear. For reference, I'm in Northern Cal and riding on mostly variable to loose dirt and some hard pack.
    I would agree with everything you are saying here. I recently put the Aggressor on my front after riding DHR2 in front/rear for the past 10 months. The DHR2 on the front tends to grab more than I prefer when riding the technical chunk of AZ. My first ride on the Aggressor was more fluid and I was able to climb with slightly faster with less effort over the DHR2.

Cornering performance with the Aggressor up front was better than I anticipated. I feel like it does not bite quite as well as the DHR2 did in the corners, but it is not far behind in performance. It seems like a worthy trade off for riding the AZ terrain, when corners and berms and far fewer than the rocky climbs. I would be torn between running double Aggressors or Aggressor R/DHF F combo.
    The only trace I leave behind is tire marks.

b a n n e d
    Is it just me and terrible internet skills, or are 27.5 Aggressors out of stock everywhere?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Is it just me and terrible internet skills, or are 27.5 Aggressors out of stock everywhere?
    everywhere

maxxis told me two weeks ago, will be 6-8 weeks

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    everywhere

maxxis told me two weeks ago, will be 6-8 weeks
    They're in stock direct from Maxxis. Just checked--10:30PM Jun 6.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
    They're in stock direct from Maxxis. Just checked--10:30PM Jun 6.
    29er only.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    29er only.
    Ah, you're right.

Well, I've got a brand new 27.5 EXO available for $200.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Got mine from Jenson last week (27.5). I guess they are out of stock already. Mounting with a DHF 2.5 in the front. Will add some pics of the tire mounted to a wide carbon rim when I get home, with some caliper measurements.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by mikericci View Post

Got mine from Jenson last week (27.5). I guess they are out of stock already. Mounting with a DHF 2.5 in the front. Will add some pics of the tire mounted to a wide carbon rim when I get home, with some caliper measurements.
    Dwarfed by the 2.5 DHF... both in tread width and casing volume. Still happy with the Aggressor, but quite disappointed with it's volume.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    29er only.
    One of my LBS has 2 in stock. Give them a call and ask if they will ship. Roam Cyclery is their name.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Dwarfed by the 2.5 DHF... both in tread width and casing volume. Still happy with the Aggressor, but quite disappointed with it's volume.
    I think they're just two different purposes. It's not a big burly all-purpose trail tire for sure. I see it as something a bit faster rolling that still has a lot of grip in the corners, even if it doesn't have the volume to shred rock gardens all day.

Rocks belong
    OK, let me explain...

I was hoping the Aggressor would share the same 58mm carcass as the 2.35 IKON/2.4 Ardent/2.5 DHF.

It seems it's built on a (relatively) small casing. It measures only 2.25" at the knobs on a 29mm (internal) width rim.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

MAXXIS Aggressor....

57mm (2.25") on a 30mm internal rim @ 24 psi after a couple rides. Height is about the same. It remains nicely rounded at least, and the sidewalls measure the same as the knobs.
    Last edited by mikericci; 06-07-2016 at 11:14 PM.

b a n n e d
    [QUOTE=mikericci;12673087

Got mine from Jenson last week (27.5). I guess they are out of stock already. Mounting with a DHF 2.5 in the front. Will add some pics of the tire mounted to a wide carbon rim when I get home, with some caliper measurements.[/QUOTE]

Same setup I plan to run. Let us know how it works out. Also have 30mm I.D. rims.

mtbr member
    Hi all,

Currently looking for a fast but grippy front tyre to match my Minion SS on the back. I know grippy and fast dont really go well but I was wondering, when comparing the few usual tyres, DHF, HRii, DHR...... compared to the aggressor, which do you think has the lowest rolling resistance?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by omnom View Post
    Hi all,

Currently looking for a fast but grippy front tyre to match my Minion SS on the back. I know grippy and fast dont really go well but I was wondering, when comparing the few usual tyres, DHF, HRii, DHR...... compared to the aggressor, which do you think has the lowest rolling resistance?

Thank you.
    Aggressor. But since its sold out now is the perfect time to try out the Michelin Grip'R2. But do so at your own risk. You might not come back to maxxis again. Its really that good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    Aggressor. But since its sold out now is the perfect time to try out the Michelin Grip'R2. But do so at your own risk. You might not come back to maxxis again. Its really that good.
    Thanks for the reply! I'm not in any rush to swap out my front tyre as it is a pretty fresh WTV Vigilante.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

57mm (2.25") on a 30mm internal rim @ 24 psi after a couple rides. Height is about the same. It remains nicely rounded at least, and the sidewalls measure the same as the knobs.

Thanks for the picture/ data! I'm thinking of the same two tires, want to be sure they'll fit..
    What does the 2.5 DHF measure? And how do the aggressor and dhf work as a pair?

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Thanks for the reply! I'm not in any rush to swap out my front tyre as it is a pretty fresh WTV Vigilante.
    Unless you want more traction at maximum lean angles I'd stick with the Vigilante. It's good at all but max lean and is faster rolling. It's also much larger in volume than the Maxxis offerings. I haven't compared the Vig to the 2.5 DHF, however, I have the DHF and HRII in a 2.3 and both are dwarfed by the Vig 2.3.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Unless you want more traction at maximum lean angles I'd stick with the Vigilante. It's good at all but max lean and is faster rolling. It's also much larger in volume than the Maxxis offerings. I haven't compared the Vig to the 2.5 DHF, however, I have the DHF and HRII in a 2.3 and both are dwarfed by the Vig 2.3.
    Hey, thanks for the reply! I'm unsure what compound my Vigilante is but it does feel alittle hard. I did compare my 2.3" Vigilante to my brother's 2.3" HRii and they are indeed quite abit bigger.

One question... I mounted both my front and rear tyres (Vigilante / Trail boss) backwards and ran out of sealant in the process. How badly did will this affect performance? I initially wanted to bring em to a shop to swap them around but noticed that the knobs on both tyres are not really ramped and didnt bothered.

Hey, thanks for the reply! I'm unsure what compound my Vigilante is but it does feel alittle hard. I did compare my 2.3" Vigilante to my brother's 2.3" HRii and they are indeed quite abit bigger.

One question... I mounted both my front and rear tyres (Vigilante / Trail boss) backwards and ran out of sealant in the process. How badly did will this affect performance? I initially wanted to bring em to a shop to swap them around but noticed that the knobs on both tyres are not really ramped and didnt bothered.
    Traction and stability/tracking will suffer. It's not just tread ramp that affects directionality. The knob placement is also important. You don't need new sealant to turn them around. Simply pop the bead and carefully remove the tire, turn it around and re-mount it. I swap tires all the time and simply pour used sealant from the old tire to the new tire.

I've never seen a Vigilante Light/High Grip tire in a store but if it is available (which the website allows you to choose) then that should be a very grippy tire and comparable to the MaxxTerra compound or better. I'm going to try and purchase one for my next front tire.

Bodhisattva
    Having used both, I generally agree and will add:

DHF (2.5 WT version) is much better for me in loose gravel or loose over firm - which are typical here on the CO front range. The Vig gets a bit squirrely when pressed hard here

Vig excels in more loamy conditions, which we only get in spring and late fall.

DHF 2.5 WT is larger then Vig 2.3; Vig 2.3 is larger than my DHF 2.3

I can't tell much difference regarding rolling resistance using either of these as a front tire.

Also, for those who can't get the Aggressor right now, the WTB Breakout is VERY similar and is what I'm using as a rear currently - although I'lll likely go back to Aggressor DD when back in stock as the 2.5 Breakout is tremendous and heavy with the tough sidewalls.

Having used both, I generally agree and will add:

DHF (2.5 WT version) is much better for me in loose gravel or loose over firm - which are typical here on the CO front range. The Vig gets a bit squirrely when pressed hard here

Vig excels in more loamy conditions, which we only get in spring and late fall.

DHF 2.5 WT is larger then Vig 2.3; Vig 2.3 is larger than my DHF 2.3

I can't tell much difference regarding rolling resistance using either of these as a front tire.
    Thanks for that! Makes me wish I had purchased the 2.5WT. I was hesitant with only 22.5mm ID wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I bought a 27.5 2.3 double down aggressor for the rear running a HR2 up front.
    I found it to be really hard work to get the bike up to speed and keep it there.
    I gave it 3 rides over various terrain and took the aggressor off and replaced with a HR2 and it felt sooooo much faster.
    Dunno if its the DD element but the HR2 was a lot faster rolling imo.
    Pity as i wanted a tough carcass for an Alps trip at the end of June.
    Guess i will take it as a spare.

mtbr member
    Thank you for all the input guys! Will definitely be changing the direction of the Vigilante when I have the time. Also thanks for the tip on re-using old sealant. Will be doing that once I get the Minion SS.

Initially wanted to get a fast rolling grippy tyres to match the minion SS but I guess I'll stick with the Vigilante for now!

Quote Originally Posted by zelak999 View Post
    I found it to be really hard work to get the bike up to speed and keep it there.
    I gave it 3 rides over various terrain and took the aggressor off and replaced with a HR2 and it felt sooooo much faster.
    You definitely have to compare apples to apples. A light casing vs. a dual casing ins't a fair comparison. Make sure to list compounds and tread wear too (worn vs. new). Otherwise lurkers could be swayed by your input and make a bad decision. It's all about the details. Thanks for the info though.

Bodhisattva
    Thanks for that! Makes me wish I had purchased the 2.5WT. I was hesitant with only 22.5mm ID wheels.
    good point. my rims are id 31.6 650b

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by zelak999 View Post
    Different strokes for different folks.
    I can't stand the HR2. And I like the DD casing because my terrain is rocky and I'm prone to rim strikes.

If you're in the US and want to sell me that Aggressor, hit me up.

I plan on running an Aggressor my Swiss Alps trip in August. My Breakout is too heavy for that kind of sustained climbing

Thank you for all the input guys! Will definitely be changing the direction of the Vigilante when I have the time. Also thanks for the tip on re-using old sealant. Will be doing that once I get the Minion SS.

Initially wanted to get a fast rolling grippy tyres to match the minion SS but I guess I'll stick with the Vigilante for now!
    The Vigilante is not for everyone or every terrain. Mount it up correctly and see if it works for you. If not then definitely swap it out. Life is too short to right the wrong tires. lol

mtbr member
    Different strokes for different folks.
    I can't stand the HR2. And I like the DD casing because my terrain is rocky and I'm prone to rim strikes.

If you're in the US and want to sell me that Aggressor, hit me up.

I plan on running an Aggressor my Swiss Alps trip in August. My Breakout is too heavy for that kind of sustained climbing
    Your coming to Switzerland and will be climbing???? Why? We have chair lifts and cable cars galore plus you can take your bike on the bus system which can conveniently drop you off at the top of a pass right next to a restaurant. And you wanna climb??

Local tip: leave your single ply tires at home.

Bodhisattva
    Your coming to Switzerland and will be climbing???? Why? We have chair lifts and cable cars galore plus you can take your bike on the bus system which can conveniently drop you off at the top of a pass right next to a restaurant. And you wanna climb??

Local tip: leave your single ply tires at home.
    6 days. It's a mixture of climbing and LOTS of descending via lift accessed. Several days call for 15,000' descending. Verbier down through Italy to Zermatt

Yes, the single ply tires will not be joining me. The Nomad will be in full blown attack mode

b a n n e d
    good point. my rims are id 31.6 650b
    So I'm thinking about a DHF-WT (f) and as wide an Aggressor as I can find for the rear on my 5010 with Nox Farlow (29mm I.D.). Will probably go with the 3C in front and perhaps the DD in the back. I ride in Vegas, so yeah . . . we got rocks and more rocks.

Bodhisattva
    So I'm thinking about a DHF-WT (f) and as wide an Aggressor as I can find for the rear on my 5010 with Nox Farlow (29mm I.D.). Will probably go with the 3C in front and perhaps the DD in the back. I ride in Vegas, so yeah . . . we got rocks and more rocks.
    Sounds like a winning combo.
    Go with 2c compound in the rear. The 3c wears way too quickly as a rear. Up front 3c/exo works great.

That's going to be one heck of a burly 5010. That was my Nomad combo. If you can't find Aggressor, look to the WTB breakout but I'm not certain 5010 has the clearance. The casing on the WTB is tall and WIDE.

Aggressor will fit that frame. The WTB breakout likely won't (at least in 2.5, pos)

b a n n e d
    Sounds like a winning combo.
    Go with 2c compound in the rear. The 3c wears way too quickly as a rear. Up front 3c/exo works great.

That's going to be one heck of a burly 5010. That was my Nomad combo. If you can't find Aggressor, look to the WTB breakout but I'm not certain 5010 has the clearance. The casing on the WTB is tall and WIDE.

Aggressor will fit that frame. The WTB breakout likely won't (at least in 2.5, pos)
    That's the idea

The whole thing is built as a burly trail bike. 140mm Pike, Hope Tech e4 brakes w/185mm rotors, Nox Farlow wheels, and will be upgrading the shock to a Float X. I don't need a super slack bike or more than 135mm of travel . . . but I do ride fast and aggressive through rocky terrain.

Bodhisattva
    will be upgrading the shock to a Float X.
    ELEVENSIX

I'm constantly toy with selling my LTc and doing a similar 5010.

But Nomad still gets the love 9 out of 10 rides for me

mtbr member
    For those looking for stock on Aggressor:

Jenson has the 27.5" 60 TPI EXO in stock as of this a.m. June 9. DD still on back order.

Maxxis Aggressor 27.5" Tire > Components > Tires > Dirt Tires | Jenson USA
    The only trace I leave behind is tire marks.

mtbr member
    6 days. It's a mixture of climbing and LOTS of descending via lift accessed. Several days call for 15,000' descending. Verbier down through Italy to Zermatt

Yes, the single ply tires will not be joining me. The Nomad will be in full blown attack mode
    Well you picked two very fine places to go ride a MTB. Verbier is sick and so is Zermatt. The trail from Zermatt to Tasch unfortunately has been turned into a flow trail with no character but there is still many other great trails around. Give your brakes a good bleed and bring extra pads. For tire recommendations the tried and true DHF/DHR2 works great. The Aggressor on the rear looks like it would do well. You won't be worrying too much about rolling resistance, trust me. Grip and braking traction will be your biggest concerns. And for all out grip you know how I feel about the Rock'R2 vs DHF here in the Alps.

Bodhisattva
    Thanks. I can't wait. Bringing my Nomad w/ PUSH ELEVENSIX. Will likely keep the 2.5 DHF/2.5 Breakout combo, but I may give the Michelin tires a look between now & then.

Itinerary:
    Day 1: Verbier: 12,500' descending
    Day 2: Ride to Italy then shuttle back to Lourtier
    Day 3: Col des Planches - mostly shuttle runs
    Day 4: Ride Goldilocks to Grimenz. 10,500' descending, then on to Zermatt
    Day 5: Zermatt - biggest day of the trip
    Day 6: More Zermatt

Ohh I forgot to add that the Vigilante does come in a Light casing / High Grip compound version although it is not advertised well and most stores don't carry it. I have 2 on order to try out. The compound is more like the MaxxTerra and Schwalbe sticky tires or maybe more so.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I can't wait. Bringing my Nomad w/ PUSH ELEVENSIX. Will likely keep the 2.5 DHF/2.5 Breakout combo, but I may give the Michelin tires a look between now & then.

Itinerary:
    Day 1: Verbier: 12,500' descending
    Day 2: Ride to Italy then shuttle back to Lourtier
    Day 3: Col des Planches - mostly shuttle runs
    Day 4: Ride Goldilocks to Grimenz. 10,500' descending, then on to Zermatt
    Day 5: Zermatt - biggest day of the trip
    Day 6: More Zermatt

What? No time for the Brazilian trail while in Verbier? That's like going to Moab and skipping the Whole Enchalada.
    Okay it's not actually in Verbier but it's only about 20-30min away. You'll pass right by it on your way to Zermatt. One of THE top rated trails here in Switzerland.

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    i am running this exact combo, WT dhf 2.5 up front and a 2.3 aggressor DD in the rear. overall love it except the aggressor is the most puny tire i have ever seen, it looks more like a 2.1 than a 2.3 and the monster 2.5 dhf doesnt help anything them. running them on 28mm ID ims, i love the way they grip and roll and brake, i have them on a set of downhill/park rims that i only use for lift access rides. long story short, aggressor is awesome and i will buy it again when they come out with a wider version, but its coming off and im putting a WT DHR on the rear for now. the tire is just so freakin skinny, i really have no idea what maxxis was thinking labeling it as a 2.3
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Kona Process 111
    2017 Ritchey P29er
    2018 Trek Domane SL6

Bodhisattva
    What? No time for the Brazilian trail while in Verbier? That's like going to Moab and skipping the Whole Enchalada.
    Okay it's not actually in Verbier but it's only about 20-30min away. You'll pass right by it on your way to Zermatt. One of THE top rated trails here in Switzerland.
    Could be part of Day 1? I don't know. I trust the guide and will go where he takes me.

As someone who rides Moab twice yearly, Whole Enchilada is overrated - unless it also includes Burro Pass - that changes everything!

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by obs08 View Post
    i am running this exact combo, WT dhf 2.5 up front and a 2.3 aggressor DD in the rear. overall love it except the aggressor is the most puny tire i have ever seen, it looks more like a 2.1 than a 2.3 and the monster 2.5 dhf doesnt help anything them. running them on 28mm ID ims, i love the way they grip and roll and brake, i have them on a set of downhill/park rims that i only use for lift access rides. long story short, aggressor is awesome and i will buy it again when they come out with a wider version, but its coming off and im putting a WT DHR on the rear for now. the tire is just so freakin skinny, i really have no idea what maxxis was thinking labeling it as a 2.3
    Again, take a look at the WTB Breakout.
    It's what a fat Aggressor is meant to be

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    Again, take a look at the WTB Breakout.
    It's what a fat Aggressor is meant to be
    i may give a vigilante/breakout combo a go when im up for new rubber
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Kona Process 111
    2017 Ritchey P29er
    2018 Trek Domane SL6

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by obs08 View Post
    i may give a vigilante/breakout combo a go when im up for new rubber
    If you can fit it, the 2.5 Breakout is huge. The 2.3 Breakout is no slouch, definitely larger than the "2.3" Aggressor.

Breakout rolls really, really fast for how burly it is. Great braking traction, good cornering, predictable sliding. Wouldn't run one up front though.

Bodhisattva
    If you can fit it, the 2.5 Breakout is huge. The 2.3 Breakout is no slouch, definitely larger than the "2.3" Aggressor.
    It's fat and tall.
    with digital calipers. from casing to casing the breakout is a true 2.5. The tread pattern is closer to 2.4. It's virtually flat-proof in tough casing. I'm running 20 psi, or less, in chunky terrain and haven't nearly felt bottom.

A friend showed me his 650+ bike with 2.8 tires. My 2.5 DHF/Breakout are nearly as large

The height of the breakout limits use on some bikes. My friend couldn't fit the 2.5 on his Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail, but I have room to spare on a Nomad

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    How are you guys liking your DHF WT/Aggressor combos? Right now I'm running DHF WT front/tomahawk rear. All around its been a pretty good combo and rails corners, but the tomahawk rear likes to slide out quickly when braking over loose surfaces. Straight line braking is decent, but just a little brake check while cornering hard will send it into a severe slide. Wondering if the minion SS or aggressor would be a better rear tire for me.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1976 View Post
    How are you guys liking your DHF WT/Aggressor combos? Right now I'm running DHF WT front/tomahawk rear. All around its been a pretty good combo and rails corners, but the tomahawk rear likes to slide out quickly when braking over loose surfaces. Straight line braking is decent, but just a little brake check while cornering hard will send it into a severe slide. Wondering if the minion SS or aggressor would be a better rear tire for me.
    Great combo. Aggressor brakes a lot better than Tomahawk and the 2c compound in the rear wears a lot better than 3c on the Tomahawk, which didn't last me a month.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    +1 for the WTB Breakout, I waited for the agressor then was disappointed when it was so small, got the Breakout on the rear now and it's awesome. I have it in hard compound tough casing and it grips as good as any minion I've had in the dry conditions I ride, rolls really well also.
    Last edited by GRPABT1; 06-14-2016 at 05:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Loving my Aggressors front and rear. Rolling speed is great and grip is awesome. Just hit Downieville and they were awesome. Very impressed.

Bodhisattva
    I just got an alert that Aggressor DD 650b is back in stock through QBP. FYI...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I just got an alert that Aggressor DD 650b is back in stock through QBP. FYI...
    The DD is pretty nice. Kinda helps you feel better about dropping the pressure a bit to make it feel like a higher volume tire.

Rocks belong
    Cut (pinched) my EXO Aggressor on Saturday (coming down Mt. Falcon, Squeaky). Boofed/boosted off of something, landed on sharp/pointy/square edged rock... instant HISSSSSSSS

Doh!

Bodhisattva
    Cut (pinched) my EXO Aggressor on Saturday (coming down Mt. Falcon, Squeaky). Boofed/boosted off of something, landed on sharp/pointy/square edged rock... instant HISSSSSSSS

Doh!
    bummer. I tore a hole in the tread surface of my DD up at Horsetooth a few weeks back.

Been rocking the Breakout 2.5 tough casing on the rear of my Nomad. Heavy as heck, but I'm convinced it's flat-proof. I'm riding 18 psi through the chunk and haven't felt bottom

Rocks belong
    bummer. I tore a hole in the tread surface of my DD up at Horsetooth a few weeks back.

Been rocking the Breakout 2.5 tough casing on the rear of my Nomad. Heavy as heck, but I'm convinced it's flat-proof. I'm riding 18 psi through the chunk and haven't felt bottom
    I have absolutely abused my 2.5 Breakout... it has survived hits that my Easton ARC30 rim has not.

Still going strong

(Heavy as fawk though... lol. At least it rolls fast)

Bodhisattva
    I have absolutely abused my 2.5 Breakout... it has survived hits that my Easton ARC30 rim has not.

Still going strong

(Heavy as fawk though... lol. At least it rolls fast)
    I think I'm over the weight penalty. Agreed, they roll very well for a 1100gm tire. And they run great. I have a Michelin Wild grip'r on the way to try in the rear in their advanced/reinforced version. Should be interesting, but will be hard to beat the Breakout. It's not a whole lot smaller than the 650+Maxxis tires my friend has on his bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    With cool new tires like this I am really regretting building a new 26" bike this year. I need a fast set of tires for summer and do not know what to do. I would like an aggressor or Minion SS in DD but I don't think they exist. The WTB tires people talk about don't seem to exist in 26 either. Ironically, Specialized seem to be the only company making what I need in 26. Might get a Slaughter/Butcher combo in Grid. With Maxxis I think a regular EXO would be enough on the front but with Specialized I think the Control casing is too light.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NWRyder View Post
    With cool new tires like this I am really regretting building a new 26" bike this year. I need a fast set of tires for summer and do not know what to do. I would like an aggressor or Minion SS in DD but I don't think they exist. The WTB tires people talk about don't seem to exist in 26 either. Ironically, Specialized seem to be the only company making what I need in 26. Might get a Slaughter/Butcher combo in Grid. With Maxxis I think a regular EXO would be enough on the front but with Specialized I think the Control casing is too light.
    Where in the NW are you? Due to an ordering SNAFU I've got a brand new 26" Tomahawk DD sitting in my garage. Would let it go for cheap, and at least that would give you a nice semi-slick DD in back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deesta View Post
    I'm running an Ardent Race with the Aggressor up front. Really fast tyre (coming from a DHR2) and works better than a normal Ardent on my local hardpack/loose over hard tracks.
    My SC 5010 has an Ardent 2.4 (front) and Ikon (2.2) on the rear and I ride mostly hard pack/loose over hard trails in OH/PA/GA/NC. Wondering how much rolling resist I'll lose with the Aggressor on the front. Sounds like they run narrower than Ardent 2.4 which might offset rolling resistance.

They shipped the bike with Minion DHR2 2.3 and Ardent 2.25 which seemed a little over kill for this area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Thanks for this mikericci.

Does anybody have the measurements on the WTB Breakouts (2.5 and 2.3 on 28-32 mm ID rims)?

Thank you for your replies.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hello Guys,

I'm heading to Moab and Sedona in September.
    Wanted to try the aggressor, but I'm wondering between the EXO and DD version.
    Maybe it's worth being on the safe side with the DD...

What front tire are you running with the aggressor ?

Cheers !

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Tore a sidewall in in my DD aggressor first ride :\

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Is there anything like an Aggressor or Breakout in 26? Would have to be at least as heavy as an EXO casing.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Is there anything like an Aggressor or Breakout in 26? Would have to be at least as heavy as an EXO casing.

Thanks
    Hans Dampf Super Gravity comes to mind, though I think the HD rolls a little slower than an Aggressor.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah, I have one of those in a Trailstar and it is really slow. Last winter I replaced it with a DH DHF in 60d and it was actually faster rolling. The HD in PaceStar might be fast, but I hate mounting Super Gravities so much I really do not want to try it. Seems like a Nobby nick in 2.3 and a beefy casing would be the ticket.

I have a DHR 2 EXO in the hard compound out back now and it rolls amazing for the traction. But for when it is completely dry out it would be nice to have something even faster.

mtbr member

Thanks
    The Aggressor is available in 26x2.30 EXO/TR or 26x2.30 DD/TR. Feel free to PM me if you're having any difficulty trying to find one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    The Aggressor is available in 26x2.30 EXO/TR or 26x2.30 DD/TR. Feel free to PM me if you're having any difficulty trying to find one.
    If anyone has a link to where I can actually buy a 26" Aggressor that would be awesome. Thanks.

MCMXCV

Can you give me the measurement from the top of the center knob to the bottom of rim and also what rim you have (so I can find out how deep/tall it is).... Like this:

Attachment 1088113

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Just done cutting my rim in half to measure. Comes out to 82mm from top knob to spoke hole. This is for 27.5 version and it's getting worn out a little, so a new tire may have a little knobs. Rims are LB 30/35 with a 25.5 cross section.

Not sure how I will glue my tire and rim back together now?

MCMXCV
    Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    DHR2 feels fast to me, ESPECIALLY compared to an HR2.
    NB, DHRII was a 3C Version on my 29er... felt really slow o_0

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Ugh, 2nd ride with the Aggressor DD on back and its done. 1/2 long slice on the side wall that's so deep I don't know how it didn't let loose. Other side had a bunch of good slices as well. It rolled fast but wasn't a great tire IMHO, side lugs are undercut pretty good already but the center tread really hardly wore.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321 View Post
    What rim width are you guys running these on? I am thinking about one for the rear with a DHRII or DHF up front. My rims are 32mm IW which has been fine for the 2.3 Minions and 2.35 Ikons I swap between.
    I'm running mine on an i25 rim which is 29mm outer width and the tire is really narrow. My DHF 2.35 on the front is wider. I suppose the tread is different as it's more of a square profile than a rounded profile.

It's a decent tire but I wouldn't really suggest it to people or put it in the pantheon of tires. It has plenty of grip for most situations until it comes to braking. I'm running mine on the back and it breaks traction far too easily. The transition points are really nice as you can really bank your angles well without it breaking away or giving out. It rolls well also. But how easily it locks up is just too much of a concern for me. I'm not a tire dragger on the trails and don't enjoy brake bumps so I'll likely be ditching this tire.

Tire companies really need to do demos just like bike companies. I don't know how many tires I have tried over the years but these things ain't exactly cheap.

mtbr member
    So for all those who have tried this tire, with the few exceptions, I can only assume from my experiences that you are as stoked as I am! Tonight was my first ride on the 27.5, 2.3, DD casing and I am very happy at this point. It replaced a DHR2 3C WT on 30mm internal rims. I wanted something that might offer some better RR than the DHR2, and it definitely does this. I could instantly tell even regarding its porkier weight that it rolled much quickerl (in comparison) set at the same pressure (25psi). A 5 mile forest road grind on loose rocks with some very steep sections proved it to have better traction than the DHR2 which was surprising but made sense to some extent due to the closer spaced lugs and narrower profile. The last mile was loose baseball sized Flintstone rocky sections and it held its line and traction when on the gas. The downhill was loose rocky/rooty SE WA soil and it performed flawlessly. There was plenty of grip for cornering and braking. There was never a sketchy moment. I could feel a little squirm when thrown hard into the corners but once getting over that, it didn't skip a beat. The tire is very narrow in comparison to the 2.4 WT which had me confident on the improved RR, and it was easily noticed. It does look narrow and has a more squared off profile which I'm trying to get used to and understand the pros/cons but as of now that didn't seem to affect performance.

I now find myself wondering how to match up the front and is there a better option to even things out in the place of the DHF WT 2.5.....??? I've heard good things about the Ethirteen TRSr which size-wise, 2.35 width, and slightly shorter center lugs, quicker?, should compliment the aggressor well.

Anyone know who manufacturers the TRSr or does Ethirteen actually do themselves? Anyone tried this combo, TRSr/Agressor?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Techspec360 View Post
    So for all those who have tried this tire, with the few exceptions, I can only assume from my experiences that you are as stoked as I am! Tonight was my first ride on the 27.5, 2.3, DD casing and I am very happy at this point. It replaced a DHR2 3C WT on 30mm internal rims. I wanted something that might offer some better RR than the DHR2, and it definitely does this. I could instantly tell even regarding its porkier weight that it rolled much quickerl (in comparison) set at the same pressure (25psi). A 5 mile forest road grind on loose rocks with some very steep sections proved it to have better traction than the DHR2 which was surprising but made sense to some extent due to the closer spaced lugs and narrower profile. The last mile was loose baseball sized Flintstone rocky sections and it held its line and traction when on the gas. The downhill was loose rocky/rooty SE WA soil and it performed flawlessly. There was plenty of grip for cornering and braking. There was never a sketchy moment. I could feel a little squirm when thrown hard into the corners but once getting over that, it didn't skip a beat. The tire is very narrow in comparison to the 2.4 WT which had me confident on the improved RR, and it was easily noticed. It does look narrow and has a more squared off profile which I'm trying to get used to and understand the pros/cons but as of now that didn't seem to affect performance.

I now find myself wondering how to match up the front and is there a better option to even things out in the place of the DHF WT 2.5.....??? I've heard good things about the Ethirteen TRSr which size-wise, 2.35 width, and slightly shorter center lugs, quicker?, should compliment the aggressor well.

Anyone know who manufacturers the TRSr or does Ethirteen actually do themselves? Anyone tried this combo, TRSr/Agressor?
    I don't know how things could get much better than a WT minion and aggressor in the rear. I'm running this combo now on my t275c and it rails!

mtbr member
    I had mine mounted on a 25mm internal rim(trail295) and after 2 days of easy park riding the cornering ability was dropping off due to shoulder lug undercut. I'm kind of disappointed in the DD casing personally. 2 days of riding and its trashed from sidewall slices Tire had maybe 50 miles on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1976 View Post
    I don't know how things could get much better than a WT minion and aggressor in the rear. I'm running this combo now on my t275c and it rails!
    Oh I hear ya for sure. Just wondering if eeking out a tad less RR could be possible.

mtbr member

So like many of you, I too punctured the DD casing not only once but twice. Running 25-26 psi, still no luck.... there has to be a quick (Aggressor-like) rolling tire that actually has some beef to withstand these tread punctures.....???? Has anyone found the magical rear tire....????

How does the Breakout measure up? Hows the durability.....? Like the DD casing it sounds like they only add more beef to the sidewalls? I puncture the tread area so that wouldn't help much for me.

mtbr member
    I wish Schwalbe made something between the rock razor and the Hans Dampf in the Super gravity casing. I've had good luck with them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    I wish Schwalbe made something between the rock razor and the Hans Dampf in the Super gravity casing. I've had good luck with them.
    How does the Hans SG casing roll? I haven't generally been a HD fan as I feel it lacks in the braking department on loose rocky terrain, this was with TrailStar compound. The SG casing at 1065g is close to the weight of WTB's TCS "tough" casings. Wonder about the durability of the TCS Tough casing, the Trail Boss may not be a bad option tread-wise.

mtbr member
    I don't know, I have a SS Hans in back now on one bike. I would think it would just roll a bit slower from weight. I run a SG Magic Mary up front and its taken a beating most of this season. I think the HD rolls a bit slow and the RR isn't aggressive enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Techspec360 View Post
    So like many of you, I too punctured the DD casing not only once but twice. Running 25-26 psi, still no luck.... there has to be a quick (Aggressor-like) rolling tire that actually has some beef to withstand these tread punctures.....???? Has anyone found the magical rear tire....????

How does the Breakout measure up? Hows the durability.....? Like the DD casing it sounds like they only add more beef to the sidewalls? I puncture the tread area so that wouldn't help much for me.
    The Breakout 2.5 has been the winner for me. The tough casing/fast rolling setup seems indestructible. I'm 240lb fully loaded and run 25psi in the rear with zero anxiety. I'm pretty sure the tread is beefed up on those too. Also noteworthy is the fact that on my Enduro 305s and M70 HVs they actually hold air over time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Haven't killed my breakout yet and in the harder compound it is wearing nice and slowly but still grips. I'll kill anything but a DH casing maxxis on the rear.

MCMXCV
    Any long term updates / opinions on the EXO versions? I'm thinking about replacing my Forekasters (F&R/29x2.35) with a set of EXOs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    Any long term updates / opinions on the EXO versions? I'm thinking about replacing my Forekasters (F&R/29x2.35) with a set of EXOs.
    I have been on them for several months. Had them front and rear during the dry months and they were great. Now running them on the rear of 2 of my bikes and they have been doing well in the wet. On my hardtail i ruined one on a jump. The casing slipped and the tire rode like my wheel was badly bent....so that was disappointing. Jenson was quick to send a warranty replacement. Other than that I really like them.

I'm with stupid
    Spent the last 2 months of summer with one on the rear. I matched it with a DHF on the front. Do not have any real complaints except maybe the volume of it. I will be buying another but in DD so I wont worry about my rim as much with a stiffer sidewall. Also the corner knobs seem to be under cutting and wearing faster then the center tread. Wish they had one in 3c so I would feel comfortable riding one on the front.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    For goodness sake, can someone get an Aggressor on a scale already!? In all seriousness, I'd be grateful and I'm sure I'm not the only curious one. Thoughts on Aggressor rear vs. Conti MK? hitech already weighed in(of which I'm grateful), but I'm just curious about others' thoughts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tokarsky268 View Post
    For goodness sake, can someone get an Aggressor on a scale already!? In all seriousness, I'd be grateful and I'm sure I'm not the only curious one. Thoughts on Aggressor rear vs. Conti MK? hitech already weighed in(of which I'm grateful), but I'm just curious about others' thoughts.
    I bought 2 a few months apart from each other and both weighed 855g for the 27.5x3 EXO. Really liking mine in the rear this winter.

MCMXCV
    Quote Originally Posted by tokarsky268 View Post
    I just installed 2 (F&R) 29x2.3 EXOs last night on my new I9 Enduro S wheelset, and I got 905g and 922g.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks y'all

mtbr member
    Been loving my aggressor on the rear. Fantastic combination of weight/tough casing/stiff sidewall/traction/rolling resistance. Conti MK is just a different all around tire to me...side knobs/casing is far to squirmy for my liking
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Been loving my aggressor on the rear. Fantastic combination of weight/tough casing/stiff sidewall/traction/rolling resistance. Conti MK is just a different all around tire to me...side knobs/casing is far to squirmy for my liking
    I agree completely with Whalenard. Yes, it's a skinny'ish tire but it gets great traction and rolls well. The MKII seems like it tries to do everything and accomplishes nothing very well. Reminds me of the old Nobby Nic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Here in San Diego we have been actually having rain, and thus mud. I have been really frustrated with the Aggressor in the rear as it does not fair well.

We have a lot of clay and very sticky (When wet) dirt here, and the aggressor has handled it poorly. Granted, Maxxis doesn't at all label it for wet stuff, but I don't have extra tires for different conditions, much less want to swap tubeless tires around.

It is great on dry trails, though!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cgdibble View Post
    We have a lot of clay and very sticky (When wet) dirt here,
    In defense of the aggressor, I don't know a tire that performs well in these conditions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    In defense of the aggressor, I don't know a tire that performs well in these conditions.
    Very true, the 2.5 Minion DHF on the front wasn't doing particularly well either. The aggressor has still lacked in wet conditions, even when the clay is not caking on.

MCMXCV
    I just installed 2 (F&R) 29x2.3 EXOs last night on my new I9 Enduro S wheelset, and I got 905g and 922g.
    A few things; 1) The Aggressors (as already noted by many) are really skinny compared to the 2.35 Forekasters they replaced.

2) The 60TPI EXO sidewalls do a much better job against the rocks than the Forekaster's 120TPI EXO sidewalls.

3) The Aggressors seemed to grab every rock that is on my ride (think billions) and huck it at my down tube, seat tube, face and back...... Seriously, I have tried a ton of tires, over many years and thousands of miles and I have never had a tire fling rocks like these did. I don't pretend to know why, but it was annoying.

I sold them to a buddy who rides in a much different terrain than I do, and he's happy with them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I sold them to a buddy who rides in a much different terrain than I do, and he's happy with them.
    What type of terrain do you ride that they didn't seem optimal? Or was it just the way they kick up rocks that led you to move on?

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    I bought 2 a few months apart from each other and both weighed 855g for the 27.5x3 EXO. Really liking mine in the rear this winter.
    I got 860g for one 27.5 x 2.3 EXO as well. In comparison, I also weighed two 27.5 x 2.35 Forekasters and they were 690g and 700g. DHF EXO/3C MaxxTerrras come out between 870g to 900g.

I got an Aggressor for an upcoming tire comparison test to use as a rear tire. Given the similar weight, I'm a bit skeptical about it being a better front tire than the DHF. I'm also curious about the rolling resistance and cornering ability versus the Forekaster especially as a rear tire.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

MCMXCV
    Quote Originally Posted by ac1000 View Post
    What type of terrain do you ride that they didn't seem optimal? Or was it just the way they kick up rocks that led you to move on?
    I live and ride in the SoCal high desert, and they performed as well as any tire has on my loose over hard, rocky, sketchy terrain. They rolled well (although I'm 225lb all geared up, so I'm not the best judge of rolling resistance) and they gripped as good as could be expected as well.

In the end, it was the rock huckfest as well as the volume/width if I'm being honest.

My typical terrain:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MAXXIS Aggressor....-1-min.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

New question here.

Has anyone replaced a speech purgatory rear with an aggressor? If so how does it compare?

MCMXCV
    Quote Originally Posted by jsync View Post
    Has anyone replaced a speech purgatory rear with an aggressor? If so how does it compare?
    While I didn't "replace", I do have a lot of experience with Purg GRIDs on the rear. The first thing I have to disclose is my bias against Spesh GRID tires because of my repeated bad experiences with them weeping sealant through the sidewalls.

That being said, it felt like the Aggressors rolled better (take with a grain of salt) and I would put the overall grip as 'equal' between both. The Purgs seemed to have more volume, but not by much.

I'm not sure I would be able to tell any differences in back-to-back blind tests - other than the 100 rocks being thrown at my frame.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast