mtbr member

Maxxis 2.6 vs 2.8 tire height

Hey guys, so Im currently on a Schwalbe NN 2.8 plus tire. Im looking to get something with a bit narrower profile but I really dont want to lose any height. Im almost to the point of going to a 29'er because the bottom bracket is just getting a bit too low for our trails here and my liking.

Is there much of a height difference between the 2.6 and 2.8 overall tire height?

mtbr member
    My understanding is it is a 5mm difference. I searched here and there is a threat where someone lists the diameter of the 2.6 Rekon and I have a 2.8 Rekon. I measured and the difference was 5mm.

I would like to try the 2.6 version but my BB is just barely high enough to not have too many strikes with a 2.8 so I'm not going to go there.
    My Team: Feedback Sports Racing

mtbr member

Maxxis 2.6 vs 2.8 tire height

Quick update on this question. I went from a Rekon Front / Ikon Rear 2.8 size to Ardent Race 2.6 F&R and it dropped my bottom bracket height by 4mm.

To offset this I went to a 170mm crank, I'm 6'1" and have short femurs, and ride 172.5 on all my other bikes so I don't think this is going to be an issue. I haven't ridden the bike yet but I'm expecting a quicker handling bike still with great grip and a bit better rolling resistance. I lost 0.15 lbs or 68 grams (probably a little more loss as I refreshed the sealant).

So, at least with Maxxis it looks like 2.8 tires are 4-5mm taller than 2.6 tires. Hope this helps others.
    Last edited by bikeguy0; 05-23-2018 at 07:26 PM.

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy0 View Post
    So, at least with Maxxis it looks like 2.8 tires are 4-5mm shorter than 2.6 tires. Hope this helps others.
    Tangle twister, I'm sure you meant, "2.8 tires are 4-5mm Taller than 2.6 tires"

Thanks, I think I'll risk it, my 2.8 Rekons are getting close to new shoe time :P
    5mm lower,, I strike once in a while, rarely,,,5mm lower,, my CG will be five mm lower..
    Saddle all the way down with my torso horizontal and low over the bike,,
    5mm lower,, bet I can shave a few seconds off my lap times :P

I want to try the 2.6 just in the rear for the sportier feel,,,wait !
    Hey, Ya know, Just the rear Is only 2.5mm lower, and my bike will be a tad slacker, Cool.

Great Avatar, I was a fan btw
    “I seek only the Flow”,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Osco View Post
    Tangle twister, I'm sure you meant, "2.8 tires are 4-5mm Taller than 2.6 tires"

Thanks, I think I'll risk it, my 2.8 Rekons are getting close to new shoe time :P
    5mm lower,, I strike once in a while, rarely,,,5mm lower,, my CG will be five mm lower..
    Saddle all the way down with my torso horizontal and low over the bike,,
    5mm lower,, bet I can shave a few seconds off my lap times :P

I want to try the 2.6 just in the rear for the sportier feel,,,wait !
    Hey, Ya know, Just the rear Is only 2.5mm lower, and my bike will be a tad slacker, Cool.

Great Avatar, I was a fan btw
    Ha. Thx. Corrected. Yeah we’ll see how they handle but I expect them to be a little quicker and a nice balance. They are 36 internal rims.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I get less pedal strikes with the Nobby Nic 2.8 tires than I did with my Maxxis DHF/DHR2 2.8 tires on the same bike. The Nobby Nic 3.0 tires had even less pedal strikes than the NN 2.8. Might not be a significant difference in height, but every little bit helps...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    Hey guys, so Im currently on a Schwalbe NN 2.8 plus tire. Im looking to get something with a bit narrower profile but I really dont want to lose any height. Im almost to the point of going to a 29'er because the bottom bracket is just getting a bit too low for our trails here and my liking.

Is there much of a height difference between the 2.6 and 2.8 overall tire height?

OK so I assume you have a 27.5" tire? You know what I find really weird: 26" tires are very predictable in height based on their width; 27.5" tires are not...

If you use the rule (OK I made up the rule, no applause needed), of 1.6x difference in tire width = difference in tire height, on a 26" it comes out very close to reality.

26 x 1.95 = 26.0 high

26 x 2.25 = 26.5 high

26 x 2.40 = 26.7 high

26 x 2.5 = 26.8 high

26 x 2.8 = 27.3 high

But if you look at 27.5 tires, for some reason their height starts to get blunted with increasing tire width, and it's not as proportional.

27.5 x 2.1 = 27.5 high

27.5 x 2.35 = 27.75 high

27.5 x 2.5 = still 27.75 high

Supposedly a 27.5 x 3.0 is 29.0 inches high. In theory 2.6 vs. 2.8 should give 5mm width difference x 1.6 = 8mm height difference (or 0.3 inches). But if it measures 5mm higher and not 8mm higher than it's only 1x height to width ratio, not 1.6x like it is for 26" tires. Why, I have no idea. It really should be 1.6x if a 27.5 x 3.0 is 29 inches high, because 0.9 inches wider than 27.5 x 2.1 = 1.5 inches higher. But it's not for some reason; the tire heights between 2.5 and 2.8 are abnormally stunted. Maybe they took too much ADD medication when they were new?
    Hypercritical is good. Hypocritical is bad. Nice people can still be bad people.

mtbr member
    Follow up:

Tires:
    The 2.6's are quicker handling and feel more like a regular tire when riding vs the 2.8's feeling more like a "Plus" tire. They are a bit squared off on the 36 internals I have and would have a better profile on 33-35 internals. It feels like I have less drag with the tires and I don't notice any less rollover. For riding in really rocky terrain that you have to keep pedaling, like Fruita or Grand Junction I think I would prefer the 2.8's as they soak up more of the bumps. For smoother trails and more XC racing style I think I'm going to like the 2.6 tires more.

Cranks:
    So I went from 175 to 170 cranks. Increased my saddle height by 5mm and that was spot on. With the seat post angle I didn't slide the saddle back as the increased saddle height also pushed the saddle back. I can tell the difference in a quicker spin up. When riding in rocky trails where you might get hung up while pedaling the cranks come around to the power position quicker so you're "closer" at all times to a position where you can put power down. It felt like with the 175's I could get hung up and when it happened I would have to pull through more with my hip flexors, etc. to get the crank around enough to the power position. I don't notice the lower amount of leverage from the shorter length of the arm. You do notice that it is harder to re-mount the bike on a steep grade. The saddle is 5mm higher from the ground, but I have a dropper so this is a non-issue. Something to consider if you ride a rigid seat post.