mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Maxiss Crossmark UST HUGE bubble

I was on the last two miles of a 28 mile ride today and all of a sudden felt and heard a 'wop wop wop wop' coming from my rear tire. I stopped and checked it out and saw this. At first I thought it was something stuck to my tire but realized it was a huge bubble. I know its no longer safe to ride on it but I want to know if anyone thinks think I can get a replacement tire for free under some kind of warranty. The tire is about 6 months old, maybe 400 miles.

The tire went flat but I inflated it back up to 32 psi for the picture. And that is almost exactly the size of the bubble that emerged on the trail

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    it seems obvious that is a manufacturing problem. Can this happen from normal wear and tear?
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

txn
    mtbr member
    A racer was showing me this exact condition on his UST Crossmark. According to him, his Maxxis tires do this regularly. He pricks it with a needle and keeps riding them. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Maxxis warranties their tires for up to one year. You should be able to return it to the place of purchase, and they will initiate the warranty claims process.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I had one too. Maxxis Ignitor LUST. I am going to try the warranty thing this week. Odd that I would see this post and then have a tire do this. I have never seen this before.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by willie b
    I had one too. Maxxis Ignitor LUST. I am going to try the warranty thing this week. Odd that I would see this post and then have a tire do this. I have never seen this before.
    My LBS took care of me and even mounted the new tire for me. Good luck with yours

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Dropped the tire off at lunch. My purchase receipt was dated 10/13/07, just under the wire. I couldn't find any thing on the Maxxis web-site about bicycle tire warranty. I hope you guys are right. I should know in a couple of days. FWIW, I told the shop employee, to be sure to reference that I replaced the offending tire with another Maxxis. That should help a little, right?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by willie b
    Dropped the tire off at lunch. My purchase receipt was dated 10/13/07, just under the wire. I couldn't find any thing on the Maxxis web-site about bicycle tire warranty. I hope you guys are right. I should know in a couple of days. FWIW, I told the shop employee, to be sure to reference that I replaced the offending tire with another Maxxis. That should help a little, right?
    Are you looking to get a refund or a new tire?

I brought my whole wheel in with the tire still mounted, showed the the employees the bubble and within 20 minutes I was out of there with a new tire mounted.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I gave them the tire. I would love shop credit. I already bought a tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have had that happen with two wirebead crossmarks. The first one I was running at 60PSI for commuting and dropping it to 40 for dirt. I was told it was the Stans affecting it, don't run above 40PSI and you will not have a problem. The next tyre did the same but a much smaller bubble even though I only put in about 45PSI at the max and ran them at 35 to 40 most of the time.

I am now trying a car type of sealent rather than stans to see if firstly it last any longer and secondly if it affects the tyres the same way.

I was assuming if I paid double the price for UST tyres rather than using the wirebead ones which is the cheapest version then I wouldn't have the problem however from what I see here that is not the case.

Question - are you running stans? I assume you are as I expect trying to get tyre sto seal without it would be rather hard.

MTB B'dos
    I'd say ditch the LUST version and just run normal tyres with STANS.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I had the same problem with the Maxxis Cross Mark Lusts. Yesterday, after a long ride I came home and saw a bubble similar to yours. Since this was only yesterday, I'm not quite sure what to do.

mtbr member
    same thing happened to my Ignitor LUSTS. I popped the bubbles and did about 3 or 4 rides on them before they failed out right. Just had a couple of customers with the same issue. We're going to try and warranty them. I just sent off a message to Maxxis asking them if it's an issue with using Stan's or simply just a manufacturing issue. I hope they responde swiftly the ignitors and crossmarks are my favorite setup ever... all this nonsense aside. Contis are starting to sound better and better again.

I'll keep you all updated if they give me some kind of answer. Shame considering the UST tires are approaching the $70 mark. (unbelievable).

My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by txn
    A racer was showing me this exact condition on his UST Crossmark. According to him, his Maxxis tires do this regularly. He pricks it with a needle and keeps riding them. YMMV.
    This has been my experience with the Larson TT UST.
    2014 Yeti Arc XO1
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid