mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Mavix X317 vs Sun rhyno Lite XL

Whats the more durable set of wheels between Mavic X317 and Sun Rhyno Lite XL. I know weight matters, but im specifically asking about durability to rocks, rough terrain, jumps, shock in general. i believe the weigh roughly the same. thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    rhynolite is the tougher and heavier rim. wheel build quality is a major factor

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Heavier rims=more metal. More metal=usually stronger.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jton219
    Whats the more durable set of wheels between Mavic X317 and Sun Rhyno Lite XL. I know weight matters, but im specifically asking about durability to rocks, rough terrain, jumps, shock in general. i believe the weigh roughly the same. thanks.
    A good build on the rhynolites will hold up to very rough riding.... like DH/FR rough. Not that they are the best for nasty conditions, but for the price, they are quite tough. I use a set of reg. machine-built rls for my bike park wheelset... the XL version is similar, but slightly wider I think.

317s, on the other hand, are like a good price for a more XC/trail economy wheelset (for what I know of them).

Oh, and the rhynolites are a bit on the heavy side, but they aren't exactly boat anchors, either.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    cool thanks everyone. ill put the Rhyno lites on my stumpy and put the other wheels on a project Mantiou FS bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The right decision jton219.
    Here some specs I copied of the Rhyno Lite XL:
    SUN - Rhyno lite XL
    Use for: dirt, freeride, 4X
    Sizes: 26"
    Outside/inside wide:
    29,2/23,5 mm

You can run big volume, wide tires on the Rhyno Lites.
    The Mavic X317 is a narrower rim with bead hook to bead hook inner dimension of 17mm.
    Last edited by goatman; 09-13-2010 at 04:50 AM.
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -