Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

mavic xm819 rim too narrow?

Hello - I've read that the Mavic XM819 rim runs a bit narrow. What's the impact of this? And is something like this a deal killer for you? In other words would you be more likely to go with a comparable rim made by another company, like Stan's Flow EX rims?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The flow is not comparable to the 819. It is a wide AM/Trail Rim, while the 819 is a cross country rim. The 819 will be considerably lighter, but narrower. Your weight, desired tire size, and riding style (XC, Trail, AM) would help us give you advice

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I will probably ride 80% city streets and 20% easy to intermediate offroad trails.

I was thinking about pairing the rims with a pair of Michelin Wild Racer tires which are available in widths of 2.0, 2.1, 2.25.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    As long as your not too heavy, I think that 819 would be good for that application. You could also look at the WTB i19 or the Stans Crest if you wanted some other narrow and light options. Basically, the wider the rim, the wider (and greater) volume a tire has, which allows you to run lower pressures. Also, you don't want to mount large tires (ie: 2.4) on a 19mm rim, but the sizes you mentioned will work fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think by mtb standards I'm considered a "large" rider at 225-230 pounds.
    However, I don't tend to be "rough" on my bikes (not agressive / risk taker).The ability to run low tire pressure seems to have the most benefit on rocky/rooty trails.

Conversely, I'm guessing that a wider tire might would create more drag on paved surfaces, where I'll be doing 70%+ of my riding, so the 19mm might be a good choice for me. Is this a correct assumption?

I think the 819 is designed for DH so I'm guessing it should be just fine as a general purpose rim for a large rider who does not plan to ride down steep flights of stairs, jump off picnic tables, etc?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It sounds like mtb-ers generally consider 19mm to be a "narrow" rim.

So is there a rim width that mtb-ers generally consider to be a "normal" width?

transmitter~receiver
    The Flow is a good fit, as would be the WTB Frequency.
    Be aware that the Flow is designed to convert regular tires to tubeless while the Frequency and 819 are designed to work with UST-compliant or "tubeless ready" tire beads and will not work as well tubeless with standard tires.
    If you want to run those Michelins tubeless you are going to have better luck with the Flows.

vincavinz is wrong on pretty much every count and I struggle to understand why people just make s**t up rather than not saying anything when they don't know what they are talking about:
    • the 819 is heavier and narrower than the Flow
    • the 819 is about as stout as rims come and would work under any weight rider riding as you describe
    • the Crest is not a great fit for a heavier rider looking for reliability
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    vincavinz is wrong on pretty much every count and I struggle to understand why people just make s**t up rather than not saying anything when they don't know what they are talking about:
    • the 819 is heavier and narrower than the Flow
    • the 819 is about as stout as rims come and would work under any weight rider riding as you describe
    • the Crest is not a great fit for a heavier rider looking for reliability
    I'm just trying to be helpful

Actually, the 819 is lighter than the flow. It weighs 450grams and does not require tape. The flow weighs 470 and does require tape. However I would agree that this may be negligible in this instance.

I recommended the Crest as a "light" option before he posted his weight...

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by vincavinz View Post
    I'm just trying to be helpful
    ok

Actually, the 819 is lighter than the flow. It weighs 450grams and does not require tape. The flow weighs 470 and does require tape. However I would agree that this may be negligible in this instance.
    Actually, if you have ever weighed an 819 with the skrewed eyelets required to build it into a wheel, they are around 500g.
    Mavic doesn't even say the 819 is 450g... where do you get that number?
    I recommended the Crest as a "light" option before he posted his weight...
    OK... but the Crest and 819 are in different leagues... the Crest is about the lightest aluminum rim there is. The 819 is one of the heaviest "XC" rims there is and is one stout *****... not at all sensitive to weight as you make it sound.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Mavic XM 819 26-Inch Disc Rim 2013 | Mavic | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

Pricepoint's "in house weight" is 450

Mavic lists the 650b version at 450g (which may be an underestimate)
    XM 819 Disc---mountain-bike-rims---Mavic

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    @melting - Based on your previous post it seems like you're under the impression that the Michelin Wild Racer tires are standard tubed tires. However, the Michelin Wild Racers are actually *tubeless ready*.

Based on this clarification and based on your previous post it seems like the 819 would be the appropriate rim for the MWR's , right?

transmitter~receiver

That's great... weigh one.

Mavic lists the 650b version at 450g (which may be an underestimate)
    XM 819 Disc---mountain-bike-rims---Mavic
    Mavic doesn't make a "650b version" of the 819.
    Just quit, dood. It's painfully obvious that you have no idea what you're talking about.

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by titus View Post
    @melting - Based on your previous post it seems like you're under the impression that the Michelin Wild Racer tires are standard tubed tires. However, the Michelin Wild Racers are actually *tubeless ready*.

Based on this clarification and based on your previous post it seems like the 819 would be the appropriate rim for the MWR's , right?
    The 819 is not that great a choice any way you cut it.
    Consider the WTB Frequency rims for UST-spec bead fit; I saw nothing about that on Michelin's website.
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 05-21-2013 at 10:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Gotta say, Meltingfeather's dead right.
    The 819 is very stout... but it's kinda been left in the dust of more recent wide rim designs that found an easier way to skin the tubeless cat, so to speak. It basically was the Flow of it's day.... meaning it was wide (when XC rims had 15 - 17mm inner widths), tough, and tubeless friendly. I have a lot of respect for Mavic's technical innovation, but it's sooooo cheezy that they advertise these as a 450g rim when you can't make a wheel out of one without adding another 50g of nipple twisters...actually 52g on the set I just weighed FWIW... rim is dead on 450g, 502 with the chingaderas.
    Titus, IMO the 819 would be a solid choice if you can get a good price on them....they're strong as hell, reliable (you're never going to have a nipple pull through the rim under high spoke tension as is common on lots of other rims), the width is great for the tire sizes you're talking about, and are as easy as tubeless gets. But they're more of a pain to build, heavy for their width, and there are simpler/cheaper options that will perform as well or better.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the 819 is kind of a relic now. The I23 completely replaces it.

Mavic still cant measure ERD correctly I wouldnt worry about their data too much.

Pay no mind to us...
    I used to run 819 and had a pretty good run with them until I switched over to Conti TK 2.2.

On the TK I started blowing the bead at the same pressure that I used to run WTB Prowler MX 2.3 (20 front, 25 rear).

After the initial 'WTF' thoughts passed I ran across Tech Tuesday ? Wider Rims Are Better and Why Tubeless Tires Burp Air - Pinkbike and the light bulb came on.

I switched over to WTB i23 rims and haven't looked back.

Mavic is missing the boat compared to i23, Flow, etc.

The flip side is that you may or may not run into something like depending on the tire you use, your riding weight, trail type, etc.

mtbr member
    Yeah, for sure, One Pivot... I'd forgotten about the screwy ERD #'s.

SilentG, yeah the Conti TK is huge... if that's the 2.2 the OP is considering running then I'll retract what I said about the 819 being an OK width for him.

mtbr member
    I have run 819 for years now with the thought that when they die, I will replace them. The problem is that they don't die. I am ~195-210 lbs and these things are tough as nails. I have run various tires on them (2.1 Nevegals to 2.4 Maxxis Advantage) without much of an issue. Real easy to set up tubeless (with stans) using normal tires or UST tires. They are narrow, without question and they are a bit heavy. But they work and for a big guy, they are strong.

And give vincavinz a break, he was just trying to help....
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    And give vincavinz a break, he was just trying to help....
    I get that, but misinformation isn't helpful.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I totally agree with the statements made above about the XM 819s being a very durable rim. I've been running a set of Mavic XM 819's for over 5 years on Hope Pro 2 hubs and the wheels have been totally bomb proof. I just recently had them trued and re-tensioned and they hardly needed to be touched. I'm 220lbs and ride aggressively in rocky and rooty terrain, including smalls jumps and drops < 5'. It's hard to find a rim that can last 5 yrs of that. Credit also has to go to the wheelbuilder as well. Wheels made with the best components won't last with a subpar build.

Ow!
    I've been using 819s for years. I never felt it was too narrow for UST/tubeless ready tires up to 2.3. Never a burp or any other problems (but psi >=28, usually >30), easy to mount a tire, and easy to build. Even holds tube tires pretty well (though I only use that for the XC HT). A very strong rim--should be classified something stronger than XC. I have used it as a front rim from XC HTs to 6" FSs, and as a rear rim on HTs and 4" FSs.

But some have a problem with the width. I have no rim recommendations since my next step up is the 823, and that is a very big step (weight wise). But those WTBs sound interesting.

And, as stated, the 819s are over 500g with the inserts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ok - I think I've ruled out the 819's based on your feedback in this thread. It sounds like the 819 was a pretty good choice when it first came out but it's no longer the rim of choice in its segment.

Sounds like the Flow EX and i23 are the rims I should be considering. Can you compare these 2 rims for me? Which one do you like better?

Also, how hard do you think it would be to find a wheel builder who would be willing to remove the rim graphics for me?

mtbpete
    Most wheel builders can remove the graphics at your request. The rim manufacturer may not like it, but it is your rim.

mtbr member
    I have 2 AM bikes one has flows laced to Hadley's the other has i23s laced to I9s. Both set ups are stellar. I would recommend either rim. I use 2.4 conti trail kings and 2.35 hans dampfs exclusively on them. But not UST versions. The tubeless ready hans dampf and regular TK- the TK is huuuge. I had 819s for years prior. As previously said they're bombproof. As for removing stickers a thumb nail and hairdryer is all you need! Unfortunately since its the Internet everyone can pretend to be an expert so do your own research. Some incorrect info at the beginning of this thread.

transmitter~receiver

Actually, the 819 is lighter than the flow. It weighs 450grams and does not require tape.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast