mtbr member

mavic XM 819 versus XM 719 rims?

Anybody have any thoughts on whether or not the additional 50 grams of slung weight is worth it for the 'upgrade' from a MAVIC 719 to an 819. I am not sold on the whole tubeless wheel thing. But I suppose the 819's are bomber. It is just that all those little metal nipple retainer things make the 819 a much heavier rim.
    Ride to Live... Live to Ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    are you going to run UST tyres?

mtbr member
    well, i have not been on my other bike and those wheels are ust compatable. I am just not sure it is really worth it for everyday use. I have seen guys crash hard on tubeless tires that fart and dump them. I have seen huge messes on the trail when an innertube needs to be put in the tire to get em home. I have seen rims flattened cause the dude was running too low a pressure and hit a rock. I am just really not convinced they are better. But they would keep a pinch flat from happening when the rim strip gets offset and the tube goes in the nipple area. And yes, I have considered ust and it would be nice to have that option.

mtbr member
    one thing I did not consider is the weight of rim strip tape for the 719... it is probably 20 g a tire? So the difference is negated somewhat right?

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I was thinking the same thing.........and since I do not run tubeless what's the point. But on the recommendation of the wheel guro I decided on 819's. I'm not sure I would ever run tubeless based on all the things you stated. I really wanted a bomber wheelset that matched my riding style. I've been using XC717 outside of their intended use....albeit they have held up but it's only a matter time before I roll my 2.4s off the rim that's designed for 2.1s.............I would be interested in hearing the pros/con of 719's & 819's

mtbr member
    hum, thanks for your thoughts. Which hub did you go with? Today I weighed the 819's. The weight is listed and we verified it at 460g, but we weighed the inserts and they weighed 50g. The 719's are listed at 460g and two of the rim strips I looked at are 20 and 25g. So the total difference is really only about 25 or 30g. Gesh, you could make that up with a lighter tire choice. Or just by running tubeless without a tube at a higher pressure... much less likely to flatten a rim or fart a tire. seems like the 819's are the way to go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    i feel that most burping/farting occurs with non tubless tyres converted with stans and running low low pressure.

I could be wrong

UST rims and tyres should give a nice seal

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by ventana1
    hum, thanks for your thoughts. Which hub did you go with? Today I weighed the 819's. The weight is listed and we verified it at 460g, but we weighed the inserts and they weighed 50g. The 719's are listed at 460g and two of the rim strips I looked at are 20 and 25g. So the total difference is really only about 25 or 30g. Gesh, you could make that up with a lighter tire choice. Or just by running tubeless without a tube at a higher pressure... much less likely to flatten a rim or fart a tire. seems like the 819's are the way to go.
    All my wheels roll with Chris King hubs.......I've been using them trouble free for ten years...plus Chris King customer service is da bomb. I think the weight difference can be justified in many ways.....like more weight greater angular momentum or the reverse. It's hard to tell by the pictures on Mavic's website but it appears the 819's have a deeper section.

mtbr member
    yea, I am sold on the chris kings... that part is a done deal. Only decision is 819 or 719 and which DT spoke. really not much difference with the 819's.
    I am leaning that way.