mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Mavic XM 819 UST rim 9mm nuts thread strength

Has anyone using the Mavic UST XM 819 rims ever had one of the spoke nuts pull free of the rim? I built these up in May. Last week on a ride, during a climb, I had to stop and tape a spoke out of the way that had pulled completely free of the rim. The 9mm spoke nut was still attatched, and the threads looked rolled/stripped. The blue thread locker was still on the threads and inside the rim threads as well, so I know it didn't simply unscrew.

i am wondering if this is a warranty issue? Or is this just oh well, get a new rim, bad luck? My previous rims were Mavic X3.1 UST and they are still fine after 6 years (on my old bike, now my backup bike).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mavic XM 819  UST rim 9mm nuts thread strength-img_1586.jpg  

Ow!
    Well, nobody replied, so I guess no one has had this happen to them? Not to me either. If you find out what caused this, please post back to let us know.

It certainly looks like an equipment failure to me, but see what Mavic says. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by clydecrash View Post
    Well, nobody replied, so I guess no one has had this happen to them? Not to me either. If you find out what caused this, please post back to let us know.

It certainly looks like an equipment failure to me, but see what Mavic says. Good luck.
    Online store where I bought it says send it back, and they will send it to Mavic for inspection. I used a spare nut , and carefully threaded it back into the rim. It has held up for about a week now. I have been checking it every ride to see if it's pulling out. I think the original nut must have had malformed threads. If it holds up the rest of the year, I'll consider it put to rest. It it pulls out at that nut again , I'll have to send the whole thing back and sit on my hands while a decision is made.

EDR
    I've had an eyelet or two that wouldn't stay tight. I can only think there must have been a microfracture in the rim where it threads into. If it's just your eyelet that failed, and replacing it yields long term good results, then no worries. If the replacement eyelets keep coming lose in the same spot, then ......

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Never seen that. I wonder if it was cross-threaded?

viva la v-brakes!
    I had that happen to me last year. Or, actually, I'm not sure that exactly happened, but the nut failed me too, and the threads were bad. I got a spare nut and re-tapped the threads and though it looked sketchy, with enough of the red loctite it held for almost a year. I just tore down the wheel and rebuilt it with new rims last week. I had been riding on those rims for about 4 years, so I figured it was just their time.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    i've reused eyelets on a wheelbuild before and it held up no problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Broken eyelet on mavic 819

I have a broken eyelet on my mavic 819 . I custom build it from CRC more than 2 years ago. The threaded part of the eyelet is still threaded inside the rim. I check with my lbs and they told me that the threaded part of the eyelet cannot anymore be remove so as the nipple so the rim is totally useless now. Has anyone encounter this before? Can I still salvage my rim?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka_Noli View Post
    I have a broken eyelet on my mavic 819 . I custom build it from CRC more than 2 years ago. The threaded part of the eyelet is still threaded inside the rim. I check with my lbs and they told me that the threaded part of the eyelet cannot anymore be remove so as the nipple so the rim is totally useless now. Has anyone encounter this before? Can I still salvage my rim?
    Yes this can happen, especially from riders in coastal conditions. The threaded nipple is seized due to corrosion or a large amounts of loctite was applied.

No big deal to remove but it might require you to buy a new spoke/nipple combo ( by applying step two).

Step 1:

Use a propane torch and heat the nipple for a min or so. Make sure you aren't burning up your logo on the rim. Now hit the area with some penetrating oil and with the nipple still hot, try unthreading it with the required spoke key.

Step 2:

Still can't get it to unthread. Get some needle nose vice grips, clamp the nipple with it and remove. Be very careful with grips that you don't scar the the rim or damage the female threads of the rim.