• 07-08-2011
    sgtcurry
    Mavic XC 717 with XT Hubs worth it?
    Is it still worth it for 125? Its still in really good condition, I am buying it for my uncle who is converting an old bike with v brakes into disc brakes. Its about the cheapest set I can find on craigslist and I have no clue what wheelsets are worth.
  • 07-08-2011
    sgtcurry
    Also the rider is 175lbs, my uncle wanted to know if it can handle the weight.

http://images.craigslist.org/3k33p03...c15a511637.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3nd3k13...7fa7a917ba.jpg
  • 07-08-2011
    Pableras
    XT hubs are nice, may require some adjust at first but they are durable.

The XC 717 is a light rim (and not particularly strong) that is supossed to be used for XC only. I do not recommend it unless you weight under 75 kg (166 lbs) and you do not plan to ride anything beyond XC.
  • 07-08-2011
    sgtcurry
    My cousin, who is going to ride the bike the rims are going on only goes to single track trails for recreational riding every weekend or so and is not aggressive. Would that be ok?
  • 07-08-2011
    mtnbiker72
    I've used to ride Mavic 217 and 517 (older equivalents to the current 717) on XC bikes all the time back in the late 90's and early 00's and even in my best shape was at least 185lbs and riding pretty rocky SW desert trails and they always held up great.

If they're built correctly they should do just fine.
  • 07-08-2011
    b-kul
    im on 317s. i pound them pretty good but i am also pretty light. im looking to upgrade but only because im a gear geek. in almost a year of riding they have taken all i have put them through, id go for it.
  • 07-08-2011
    Mattegory
    I'm on a pair of 717s, and have been for the last 7 months. During those 7 months, I've weighed between 235-215 pounds and I've trued them once, and that was due to a decent crash.
  • 07-09-2011
    Pableras
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtcurry View Post
    My cousin, who is going to ride the bike the rims are going on only goes to single track trails for recreational riding every weekend or so and is not aggressive. Would that be ok?

Probably yes. :thumbsup:

I mean, this rims are not bad at all, they're quite good and they last if you use them properly. I've been using one for the last four years (I weigh 188 lbs and ride XC-AM), and it needed frequent truing (probably due to poor initial build) and it developed cracks between the eyelets at the inside of the profile (which is a common issue among Mavic rims).
  • 07-09-2011
    rglsr
    If your photos are of the actual wheelset you're interested in buying, those are not disc brake compatible XT hubs. Those are non disc XT hubs laced to rim brake Mavic 717s.
  • 07-09-2011
    Fix the Spade
    @ SGT Curry.

If the wheel's properly built a 717 will survive most things that keep the wheels on the ground. If your Cousin is planning to race four cross on them he might want something tougher.

Provided the freehub isn't shot (check this) that looks like a good set of wheels for the money, just be aware (as others have said) that they're rim brake wheels, you can't fit discs to them.
  • 07-18-2011
    Cafolla
    some good info here, cheers everyone!