mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Mavic X3.1 UST Disc...any experience?

I have a heavy stock wheelset, using V brakes on my current ride, and am thinking of shaving some weight by upgrading my wheels, while making the switch to disc brakes (next question will be BB7 vs Juicy7's...but that'll come down the line)

Anyone have much experience with the Mavic X3.1 UST rims?

Right now on my bike I have Bonti Superstocks, with bonti hubs...will the 3.1's save me any weight? Are they strong? Easy to mount UST tires on?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lacticacidbath
    I have a heavy stock wheelset, using V brakes on my current ride, and am thinking of shaving some weight by upgrading my wheels, while making the switch to disc brakes (next question will be BB7 vs Juicy7's...but that'll come down the line)

Right now on my bike I have Bonti Superstocks, with bonti hubs...will the 3.1's save me any weight? Are they strong? Easy to mount UST tires on?

I have been using the 3.1 disc for all mt. aggressive trail riding for over two years with no problems. I did have to replace the rear, replaced with a Mavic Enduro disc the front is still staying strong.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    X3.1 is the old name for the XM819. Very good rims
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Chrome Toaster
    Good rim. The X3.1 is also the same rim found on the crossmax and just about all their UST tires. They just change the spoke drillings. The ease of mounting the tire will depend more on the tire than the rim. A lot of the new UST tires out there are a piece of cake to mount on them with bare hands.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for your input..

Weightweenies was no help in figuring the weight for either my current bonti superstocks or the x3.1, and I'm thinking of buying some used ones tonight. Do any of you know if I'll save any weight by switching wheels?

Also, this question would be better in the brakes category, but will a Hayes 6" brake rotor fit Shimano or Avid brake setups?

Thanks for your input..

Weightweenies was no help in figuring the weight for either my current bonti superstocks or the x3.1, and I'm thinking of buying some used ones tonight. Do any of you know if I'll save any weight by switching wheels?
    The mavic rims may be heavier than the Bontys but I do not know for sure. Total wheel weight depends on the hubs and spokes as well as the rims.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    shiggy, thanks.

nuther question...what about a wheelset with the x3.1 ust and a 'mystery' hub (ebay) or a wtb laserdisc with xt hub?

which would you rather ride?

also still wondering about a hayes disc compatibility with avid/shimano brake setups.

shiggy, thanks.

nuther question...what about a wheelset with the x3.1 ust and a 'mystery' hub (ebay) or a wtb laserdisc with xt hub?

which would you rather ride?

also still wondering about a hayes disc compatibility with avid/shimano brake setups.
    I prefer to build my own wheels. XT hubs are generally not light.

You can use any rotor as long as the diameter is the same. There are no 6" rotors. Plenty of 160 mm and a few 165 mm rotors.
    mtbtires.com

Homey don't play that!

The X3.1s are great rims. Easy to mount tires on and very strong. However they are not light. They're about 510 grams with eyelets. Most light disc rims are around 420 grams but none of those are UST.

Chrome Toaster
    I have two sets of wheels with X3.1's. One with CK hubs, the other XTR. I'll post the exact weights when I get home.