Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Mavic TXC 3.01

  1. #1
    mtbr member&ham operator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    195

    Mavic TXC 3.01

    Hi there mates.

    This is my first posting but have been lurking for some time now.

    I have a Mavic TXC 3.01 UST Tubeless Disc in black together with DT Swiss Hugi 240 hubs on my 2004 Stumpjumper Pro.

    I can't seem to find any specifications of this particular wheel of mine on the Mavic website or any other websites for that matter. I have doen a google search and still turn up blank.

    Could any of you help please?

  2. #2
    mtbr member&ham operator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    195
    yawn.....no answer yet from the members here.


    Anybody have any info or do you have a link to Mavic's 2003 lineup? Their website only has the 2004 lineup.

    Thanks in advance mates.

  3. #3
    I love Pisgah
    Reputation: Duckman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,311
    Ga-day mate! Thats the oem version of the 3.1(now called the 819). Same rim as the Crossroc as well(its those Mavic label hubs that weigh so much). Prob a 24 hole. Look at one of the 2 sticker thingies. It'll have a little key arrow pointing to a spoke telling which spoke count it is(24, 28, 32). Sounds like someone reused the rim with a better hub(typically, its the hub that sucks on most oem builds, using a Formula or equal). I've done the same exact thing with a set of 24hole 3.01 rims from a 01 NRS1 with ti spokes/alum nips, etc. Hugi 240 rear hubs can be had in 24h on Ebay sometimes. 24h builds up pretty light(edit--ops...I mean 1/4 less spokes, nips, collars), albeit abit weaker.

    There, feel better?
    Last edited by Duckman; 08-16-2004 at 11:04 AM.

  4. #4
    mtbr member&ham operator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    195

    ... and if we just ...

    Duckman,

    G'day to you too mate and thanks for taking the time to reply.

    Your information is most informative and yes it is a 24 hole. It's new as I couldn't afford the Mavic Crossmax SL as I totally blew my budget getting the 04 Stumpy Pro frame and adding all the other components. Am using as follows:

    SRAM XO RD with XO twister shifters
    Shimano Deore FD but looking for a XT or XTR
    Fox RLC Triad shock
    Rockshox SID Team fork
    Thomson stem
    Truvativ Stylo crankset
    Raceface NEXT carbon low riser XC bar
    Maxxis Flyweight 330 1.95 for onroad use/ Maxxis Ignitor 1.95 for offroad use / Continental Explorer Supersonic 2.1(not used yet) tyres and normal tubes
    Shimano Deore M555 hydraulic disc brakes (used)
    Selle Italia trans am XO saddle
    Shimano XT cassette
    Shimano M959 pedals
    Cateye Enduro 8 cyclocomputer
    FSA Orbit XL II headset
    Mavix TXC 3.01 Disc UST wheels with DT Swiss Hugi 240 hubs

    Do you know the weight of the wheels with the Hugi 240 hubs?

    Would like to compare them against the Crossmax SL as contemplating changing to Crossmax if the weight difference is substantial and after recovering from blowing a big hole in my financial pocket.

    Once again, many thanks mate.

    Cheerio and 73's


  5. #5
    I love Pisgah
    Reputation: Duckman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,311
    My 24 hole 3.01s are lighter then any disc CrossMax wheelset offered. I already had the rims from my oem NRS1 wheelet. I thru away the heavy Formula rear hub(475gms) and replaced it with a new Hugi 240(275gms) I snag'd new on Ebay for $57. The front Formula oem hub was 180gms, so it was serviceable still. Had Mike Garcia at oddsandendos build the wheelset back up with Marwi ti spokes and alum nips.

    http://www.oddsandendos.com/

    He supplied the spokes and nips, and of course the labor. Including freight, it was less then $160 for both wheels for that, since I had the parts otherwise. The rear is 864gms and front was 757gms. 1621 for a true ust wheelset. I run Stans with no rimstrips, just 60gms of the sealant, and std race tires(340gm to 495gms usually). Been racing them all season (8 races so far) here in the SE US, one race being a 60 miler in Pisgah NC, which was tough going. Still straight and true with no need for truing yet.

    The front with Stans alum rotor, ti/alum rotor bolts, RRalph 2.1.

    Um..cheerio and 73s back to you...whatever that 73 stuff means. Sounds good tho.

    Duck

    Last edited by Duckman; 08-16-2004 at 11:06 AM.

  6. #6
    mtbr member&ham operator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    195
    Duckman,

    The Mavix Crossmax SL Disc weighs 770g for the front and 915g for the rear.

    Seems that your wheels are even lighter than the Crossmax SL's! Very cool mate!

    73's is ham radio talk for best regards. 69 would be a universal language if you know what I mean mate!


    LOL.....Take care then mate.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lungs_on_Fire's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    37

    3.01, 24H w/Hugi 240 - very good! weight q for Duckman

    I have the exact same 3.01 24hole with Hugi 240 hubs set-up. They came with my 2001 NRS Air and they absolutely rock! I have over 15,000 miles of hard riding and racing on them and I have not had to true them. They are the only original components left on the bike. The only problem I had was at 12K miles the rear hub cracked but Hugi warranty returned it and sent me a new one in 2 days.

    Thanks for the info on the weight; I have always wondered if they were lighter than the CrossMax Disc - they feel about the same. Duckman what spokes do you have on yours? I have DT Competition. With my math when I add up all the parts I get 1691 grams w/o skewers. Did you get you 1621 weight from a scale or my adding up the parts?



    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    My 24 hole 3.01s are lighter then any disc CrossMax wheelset offered. I already had the rims from my oem NRS1 wheelet. I thru away the heavy Formula rear hub(475gms) and replaced it with a new Hugi 240(275gms) I snag'd new on Ebay for $57. The front Formula oem hub was 180gms, so it was serviceable still. Had Mike Garcia at oddsandendos build the wheelset back up with Marwi ti spokes and alum nips.

    http://www.oddsandendos.com/

    He supplied the spokes and nips, and of course the labor. Including freight, it was less then $160 for both wheels for that, since I had the parts otherwise. The rear is 864gms and front was 757gms. 1621 for a true ust wheelset. I run Stans with no rimstrips, just 60gms of the sealant, and std race tires(340gm to 495gms usually). Been racing them all season (8 races so far) here in the SE US, one race being a 60 miler in Pisgah NC, which was tough going. Still straight and true with no need for truing yet.

    The front with Stans alum rotor, ti/alum rotor bolts, RRalph 2.1.

    Um..cheerio and 73s back to you...whatever that 73 stuff means. Sounds good tho.

    Duck


  8. #8
    I love Pisgah
    Reputation: Duckman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,311
    Marwi titanium spokes and alum nips. They require higher tension and may flex more then steel spokes, but so far so good. I weight 170lbs.

    edit--Oh yeah, the total wheel weights are per Mike Garcia at oddsanendos.

    Yup, the rims are the only oem thing on my ride as well. I've got 2 nrs's. This ones 21.5lbs.

    Heres a link to a recent "weight Q" post over at the Giant board for pics of both rides.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...511#post334511

    The heavier black NRS(23.5lbs) is a frame buildup as well(the blue bike uses the UST wheelset for the most part, being race only). FRM alum BB and bolts, compact cranks, AC hubs w/ vxc-317 rims, 3lb fork, ti bars, carbon post, wsc stem, 140mm rr rotor with Hayes, 98% ti and alum bolts, yada yada.
    Last edited by Duckman; 08-17-2004 at 09:48 AM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lungs_on_Fire's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    37

    Nice Light NRS bikes

    Very nice set-ups on your NRS bikes! I have mine at about 23.5 - 23.75 lbs (depending on tires) and it amazing that you got the one down to 21.5. It is also amazing that you got the Stan's to work on the rims without rimstrips. I have to run the rimstrips because I could never get my tires to inflate without them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Marwi titanium spokes and alum nips. They require higher tension and may flex more then steel spokes, but so far so good. I weight 170lbs.

    edit--Oh yeah, the total wheel weights are per Mike Garcia at oddsanendos.

    Yup, the rims are the only oem thing on my ride as well. I've got 2 nrs's. This ones 21.5lbs.

    Heres a link to a recent "weight Q" post over at the Giant board for pics of both rides.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...511#post334511

    The heavier black NRS(23.5lbs) is a frame buildup as well(the blue bike uses the UST wheelset for the most part, being race only). FRM alum BB and bolts, compact cranks, AC hubs w/ vxc-317 rims, 3lb fork, ti bars, carbon post, wsc stem, 140mm rr rotor with Hayes, 98% ti and alum bolts, yada yada.

  10. #10
    I love Pisgah
    Reputation: Duckman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,311
    Thanks.

    I couldn't inflate'm either without my bigass 20 gal compressor.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    16

    Need tire info

    I bought a used rear wheel. Ebay # 120289939771 . The rim is a Mavic TXC 3.01 with a DT Swiss Onyx hub. The the worn tire was a Hutchinson Python size 2.0. I had previously bought a set of Hutchinson Octopus 2.5 size tires, front and back, in anticipation of new wheels. My Klein Mantra hasd Hutchinson Scorpion front ant reat tires.

    My question is, can I use these size 2.5 tires on the Mavic TXC 3.01 rim? I also have to worry about rear tire clearance on the frame. Am I just gonna need to buy a different set of tires, if so, what is the fatest tire I can get away with on my Mavic rim, and or Rear frame?

    BikePedia lists this as OEM tires for my Klein Mantra.

    Front: 26 x 2.10" Bontrager Revolt ST kevlar, Rear: 26 x 46/50" Bontrager Revolt ST kevlar

    Thanks
    Eric

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Ga-day mate! Thats the oem version of the 3.1(now called the 819). Same rim as the Crossroc as well(its those Mavic label hubs that weigh so much). Prob a 24 hole. Look at one of the 2 sticker thingies. It'll have a little key arrow pointing to a spoke telling which spoke count it is(24, 28, 32). Sounds like someone reused the rim with a better hub(typically, its the hub that sucks on most oem builds, using a Formula or equal). I've done the same exact thing with a set of 24hole 3.01 rims from a 01 NRS1 with ti spokes/alum nips, etc. Hugi 240 rear hubs can be had in 24h on Ebay sometimes. 24h builds up pretty light(edit--ops...I mean 1/4 less spokes, nips, collars), albeit abit weaker.

    There, feel better?

Similar Threads

  1. Mavic CrossRide tire size?
    By pulse in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 06:29 PM
  2. Mavic EX729's unavail - nearest match?
    By haxormachine in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 02:18 PM
  3. Mavic Crossmax or Shimano XT/Mavic X3.1???
    By Colon in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 06:23 AM
  4. Mavic Crossmax or Shimano XT/Mavic X3.1???
    By Colon in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 04:20 PM
  5. Mavic CrossMAX SL vs. Chris King ISO Mavic X3.1
    By mtnfiend in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 08:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •