mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Mavic hub problem

Hello, have a Mavic hub that wont release. Just keeps spinning. Any ideas? Youtube video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpx8...e_gdata_player

mtbr member
    Im pretty sure you have to put a hex key in the other side to hold it in place.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The other side is the lefty stem going into the hub. No access points, and no hex key.

mtbr member
    In the video it looks like you did not remove the brake caliper first. Bad news.... You probably stripped the self extracting bolt. When you started to back it out, the caliper prevented the wheel from moving.

transmitter~receiver
    the caliper is clearly off the rotor... and that wouldn't strip the bolt.

OP- shop time, i think. i'm not super well versed on Lefty, so I'm not sure what your options are.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    the caliper is clearly off the rotor... and that wouldn't strip the bolt.

OP- shop time, i think. i'm not super well versed on Lefty, so I'm not sure what your options are.
    My old eyes must have missed the caliper being off.

From personal experience helping a friend extract an axle bolt with a rounded out head on a lefty, I can tell you that the axle bolt has self-extracting threads and if you crank too hard the rotor will press against the caliper (if not removed) hard enough to round out the bolt head and bend a rotor. When you loosen the axle bolt it pushes against the bearing dust cap and pulls the hub off. Just like self-extracting crank bolts work. The OP’s axle bolt head seems to be fine, so the either the bolt or the axle threads are stripped.

It might not be a good idea for the OP to ride the bike until this is fixed… as melting feather said- shop time.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    That looks like a fork issue not a hub issue. The insert that the bolt screws into is turning.

As melting feather said, take it to a shop.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine