Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2

    Mavic hub adapter 15mm to 9mm - question

    Hi all,

    I'm completely refitting my old 1997 Specialized Rockhopper. I purchased the Mavic Crossride wheel set, and I am attempting to use the Mavic QR 15mm to 9mm adapter.

    I've scoured the internet, but I can't find a picture of the finished product. I put a dab of grease on the o-ring, but I seem to only be able to get the adapter in to a certain point. I'm not sure if the adapter is seated far enough into the hub. Can anyone advise?

    Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mavic hub adapter 15mm to 9mm - question-photo-1-3.jpg  

    Mavic hub adapter 15mm to 9mm - question-photo-2-3.jpg  


  2. #2
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,762
    Have you tried sticking the wheel in your fork ?
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  3. #3
    Maes3o
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3
    I have the same situation, were you able to resolve the it?
    Last edited by Oliverfiallo; 08-03-2011 at 01:34 PM.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2

    resolved

    DeeEight had a great suggestion - After confirming that the fork wouldn't fit in the position the adapter was in, I put the wheel on my deck with one adapter resting on the deck (and the other visible to me. obviously taking care not to let the wheel itself come into contact with the deck, I tapped a few times with a mallet against the adapter... and then one solid tap/whack, and both adapters seated perfectly. Now, I can't imagine that I will ever be able to remove the adapters.

    the short answer to your question is that if your adapters are seated as they were in the pictures I posted, they are not fully installed.

    Thanks much to DeeEight.

    Hope this helps.

  5. #5
    Maes3o
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3
    Thanks, ill check that out!!!!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4
    Does anyone know where to find these adapters online? Price point
    Has what looks like it would work but says not for cross ride wheels. Which
    Is what I need it for.

  7. #7
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred2726 View Post
    Does anyone know where to find these adapters online? Price point
    Has what looks like it would work but says not for cross ride wheels. Which
    Is what I need it for.
    The Mavic plugs as Pricepoint will convert any 15mm wheel to 9mm q/r. Because the axle ID is standard, they'll fit any 15mm wheel from any manufacturer.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15
    mavic wont work cuz it has a 2mm cap to it. look at the first picture. i had this issue 2 yrs ago. i tried the mavic caps and they dont fit cuz of that 2mm edge to the cap. your 15mm hub is already 100mm and QR forks are only 100mm wide so its obsolete. u can force them in but good luck. u might hurt yourself. check out what i made! =) had it done at a LBS they were awesome but first prototype was kinda $$$ bling bling. o well it worked for me! Good Luck!<br><br>
    ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting < <<<**** heres a PHOTO of what i did.



  9. #9
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Loverboyvaj View Post
    mavic wont work cuz it has a 2mm cap to it. look at the first picture. i had this issue 2 yrs ago. i tried the mavic caps and they dont fit cuz of that 2mm edge to the cap. your 15mm hub is already 100mm and QR forks are only 100mm wide so its obsolete.
    are you saying the Mavic 15mm hubs are 96mm wide and that the OP's "resolved" means doesn't work?
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 03-20-2012 at 06:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2

    New question here.

    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    are you saying the Mavic 15mm hubs are 96mm wide and that the OP's "resolved" means doesn't work?
    i'm also wondering if this worked or not..? and rczbikeshop.com also offers what looks like the same products but its specific for and works for crossrides!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2

    Good job!

    just fyi, the adapter from price point for the 15mm to 9mm does work! i had put in a call to mavic to confirm it beforehand and price point says mavic should be correct if they say it works. i was riding dat setup today! the adapter is a tight fit, just add wd-40 and you can pop it in with your pinky. hope this helps some peeps!
    Last edited by bayawak69; 04-05-2012 at 06:57 PM.

  12. #12
    MarkyMark
    Reputation: MarkMass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,123
    It took a bit of effort (used the QR skewer with tape over the end, rested it on inside of the cap, tapped it with a mallet), but I was able to remove my Mavic 20mm TA adapters. I added some lube/grease so it'd be easier to remove next time.

    Quote Originally Posted by paddler123 View Post
    Now, I can't imagine that I will ever be able to remove the adapters.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    626
    + bump

    Are you sure this kit will work with Crossrides?

    Mavic QR Plug- Fits 15mm Front Axle at Price Point
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TwoHeadsBrewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,867
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK View Post
    + bump

    Are you sure this kit will work with Crossrides?

    Mavic QR Plug- Fits 15mm Front Axle at Price Point
    [STRIKETHRU]My Crossride wheelset came with the 9mm QR adapters already installed. Had to tap them out to run my 15QR fork.[/STRIKETHRU]

    NVM, I'm an idiot. I have the Crosstrail wheelset...
    "Got everything you need?"

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    626
    I am looking at Crossridesand the front is 15mm so I would have to convert. I got a little be concerned when I read on pricepoint website it does not work with Crossrides. I do not want to break my teeth.
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TwoHeadsBrewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,867
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK View Post
    I am looking at Crossridesand the front is 15mm so I would have to convert. I got a little be concerned when I read on pricepoint website it does not work with Crossrides. I do not want to break my teeth.
    Can you post a link to the wheelset you're looking at?
    "Got everything you need?"

  17. #17
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,884
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK View Post
    + bump

    Are you sure this kit will work with Crossrides?

    Mavic QR Plug- Fits 15mm Front Axle at Price Point
    If they are 15mm TA, it will convert them to 9mm q/r.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    I wonder if Mavic has outsmarted themselves with proprietary fit parts.

    I'd call Mavic on that one.
    It is quite difficult to find contact info on their website unless I am blind.
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

  19. #19
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,884
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK View Post
    I am looking at Crossridesand the front is 15mm so I would have to convert. I got a little be concerned when I read on pricepoint website it does not work with Crossrides. I do not want to break my teeth.
    I wonder if Mavic has outsmarted themselves with proprietary fit parts.

    I'd call Mavic on that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    (888) 466-2842
    Thanks. I just gave them a call and provided me with a part number that does not exist in Google. I am calling them again since I found this kit at bikebling.

    Mavic 9mm QR Adapter from BikeBling.com
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

  21. #21
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,884
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK View Post
    It is quite difficult to find contact info on their website unless I am blind.
    (888) 466-2842
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    (888) 466-2842
    Thank you. This is what I need.

    MAVIC AXLE REDUCERS 15-9 MM KIT 99694101 - Mc Convey Cycles

    How do I get it in the States?
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    [STRIKETHRU]My Crossride wheelset came with the 9mm QR adapters already installed. Had to tap them out to run my 15QR fork.[/STRIKETHRU]

    NVM, I'm an idiot. I have the Crosstrail wheelset...
    Hos is that Crosstrail wheelset workinf for you? What is your weight? My Fulcrum Red Metal 3 went of true a little bit after 1100 miles and I am not happy about it.

    This guys says it works.

    Mavic Crossride or something else? | Mountain Bike Forums
    Last edited by PatrickK; 05-08-2012 at 07:18 PM.
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TwoHeadsBrewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,867
    I really like the Crosstrail wheelset, no complaints for a ~$300 UST wheelset that works with centerlock, 6-bolt, 9mm, or 15mm. It's not a super light, but they aren't boat anchors either, and have stood up to quite a bit of abuse.

    And seriously? 1100 miles and you're bummed? I expect a couple hundred miles with a brand new wheelset before it needs to be trued up. 1100 miles is looooooooong!
    "Got everything you need?"

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    I really like the Crosstrail wheelset, no complaints for a ~$300 UST wheelset that works with centerlock, 6-bolt, 9mm, or 15mm. It's not a super light, but they aren't boat anchors either, and have stood up to quite a bit of abuse.

    And seriously? 1100 miles and you're bummed? I expect a couple hundred miles with a brand new wheelset before it needs to be trued up. 1100 miles is looooooooong!
    Where do you get those wheels for $300? Did you have to servie the rear hub? It seems to be quite easy. I do not like super light wheels. 2000g wheels with skewers are fine with me.
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TwoHeadsBrewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,867
    HuckNRoll had them on sale in November of last year and I snatched them up. So far I've put maybe 500 miles on them and the rear hub still runs smooth. I just noticed them being 1mm or so out of true, which is amazing since I've bounced them around on rocky trails quite a bit. I have a friend with an older version of the Crosstrails and he said it's really easy to service the hub if it starts making the trademark Mavic groan.
    "Got everything you need?"

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    had them on sale in November of last year and I snatched them up. So far I've put maybe 500 miles on them and the rear hub still runs smooth. I just noticed them being 1mm or so out of true, which is amazing since I've bounced them around on rocky trails quite a bit. I have a friend with an older version of the Crosstrails and he said it's really easy to service the hub if it starts making the trademark Mavic groan.

    Shame I missed it. I a big fan of Fulcrum wheels but I was a bit disappointed when I found out the weight limit is 82kg. I weigh 72kg plus 9.5kg bike and a backpack. I have not been abusing my wheels at all. Mostly long rides on a rough asphalt trail which I think is worse than soft forest soil.

    I would like to add that my Fulcrum 5 wheels stay straight. I think it has to do a lot with j-bend spokes which are stronger.
    Last edited by PatrickK; 05-09-2012 at 04:25 PM.
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    626
    Update:

    I have got my kit from pricepoint. It worked like a charm with a drop of Teflon Lube. I had to push it in a little bit harder on the left side. I am also impressed with a manual, packaging and adapters etc. that came with Mavic wheelset. It is much better than my more expensive Fulcrum or Hope Hoops wheels. I am getting another set since for $140 it is a steal.
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HTR4EVR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK View Post
    Update:

    I have got my kit from pricepoint. It worked like a charm with a drop of Teflon Lube. I had to push it in a little bit harder on the left side. I am also impressed with a manual, packaging and adapters etc. that came with Mavic wheelset. It is much better than my more expensive Fulcrum or Hope Hoops wheels. I am getting another set since for $140 it is a steal.
    How did you get it into the US?
    A mountain, a lake, a trail, all waiting there...

  30. #30
    pat
    pat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    24
    Does the Mavic adapter fits for use on Easton EA 90 XC wheels? Thanks!

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HTR4EVR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post
    Does the Mavic adapter fits for use on Easton EA 90 XC wheels? Thanks!
    I just ordered this from eBay..

    Mountain Bike 15mm Thru Axle to Standard 5mm Quick Release Wheel Adapter | eBay
    A mountain, a lake, a trail, all waiting there...

  32. #32
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,884
    Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post
    Does the Mavic adapter fits for use on Easton EA 90 XC wheels? Thanks!
    Yes. It fits any 15mm TA wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HTR4EVR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,073
    I got the adapter from eBay and worked great...
    A mountain, a lake, a trail, all waiting there...

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2

    New question here.

    I just got the Mavic adapters for my XT hubs. At first they seemed rock solid but as my ride went on the front wheel seemed to get a bit loose/sloppy. I put the adapter in w/o removing the one end cap; it still fit right into my fork. Could this be causing my wheel to feel sloppy? Should I take the end cap off regardless?

    Also, is there anyone on here that can explain how the 9mm part that extrudes from the cap can take all the weight and stresses of mountain biking?? I can't get it out of the back of my head that they are going to snap clean off every time I hit a little drop.

    Cheers!

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Yes. It fits any 15mm TA wheel.
    TA means Thru Axle? So, I can use this adapter on Fulcrum Red Power XL wheels?

Similar Threads

  1. adapter 15mm to quick release
    By seaweed in forum Shimano
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 10-15-2016, 12:45 AM
  2. 15mm fork adapter skewers lock?
    By sknsnw9 in forum Car & Biker
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 05-16-2013, 01:07 AM
  3. Hope 15mm to 20mm adapter question
    By jason333 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-25-2010, 09:16 AM
  4. 15mm to 9mm adapter?
    By Dr Saw in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-06-2010, 02:38 PM
  5. ProRack - 15mm adapter? Any suggestions?
    By KYjelly in forum Car & Biker
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-31-2010, 04:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •