I work in .001 tolerances

New question here. Mavic F219 rims on XT disc hubs...

Anyone have any experience on the F219 rims? I am looking at a wheelset the is laced with DT 14g spokes to XT disc hubs. From my understanding the F219 rims are more of a light freeride/trail rim, I am looking to run them on my Trailbike and want to know if these are going to be overly aggressive rims. I want something strong, but not overly heavy for the XC/Trail riding I do.
    Any input would be appreciated.

spotlust
    Quote Originally Posted by HomegrownMN
    Anyone have any experience on the F219 rims? I am looking at a wheelset the is laced with DT 14g spokes to XT disc hubs. From my understanding the F219 rims are more of a light freeride/trail rim, I am looking to run them on my Trailbike and want to know if these are going to be overly aggressive rims. I want something strong, but not overly heavy for the XC/Trail riding I do.
    if you are worried about weight, don't go with XT hubs - those are some porky *****es. If weight not so much of a big deal, XT hubs probably a safe bet. They are durable if nothing else.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

I have that wheelset....

Hey.. I have xt disc hubs on the f219 rims, not a bad set up but they are heavy.. Not sure on the weight for the 219's though. I'm in the market to upgrade my wheelset though. Going to get some gold hope bulbs, that would be sweet with my blck burner.
    Just happy to be Crushin Rocks on the trails...

mtbr member
    The F219 rims are indeed great rims. Mavic in their wisdom decided to change all of the designations for 2004. The F219's have been changed to the X321 rim. When they were designated as F219 max. width tire was 2.5. Now as the X321max. is 2.3.
    Anyway here's the link...
    http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mav...ct.id=75&lg=uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusher
    Hey.. I have xt disc hubs on the f219 rims, not a bad set up but they are heavy.. Not sure on the weight for the 219's though. I'm in the market to upgrade my wheelset though. Going to get some gold hope bulbs, that would be sweet with my blck burner.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    The F219 rims are indeed great rims. Mavic in their wisdom decided to change all of the designations for 2004. The F219's have been changed to the X321 rim. When they were designated as F219 max. width tire was 2.5. Now as the X321max. is 2.3.
    Anyway here's the link...
    http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mav...ct.id=75&lg=uk
    I have run 3.0 tires on the F219 (X321) with no issues at all. Mavic is VERY conservative with their tire width reccs.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by HomegrownMN
    The rim is not overly heavy (540-580g) but the straight gauge spokes and XT hubs sure are. See if you can get the spokes changed to DT compititions or another brand double butted spoke. I'd reccommend changing the hubs (at least the rear at the minimum) for somthing a little more durable and lighter. You don't have to go to extremes and get Kings but a WTB or Hope would be leaps and bounds better.
    Nothing to see here.

I've run F219s for a couple years now and like them a lot. I bought them for the width but without wanting too heavy a rim either. I did mess up one of the rims, but it took lots of miles, a couple crashes and many rocks to do it. I rebuilt that wheel with a new F219 rim as I had no problem with the rim (they're called XM321's now). The newer XT hubsets aren't nearly as heavy as the old ones, and they'll be well priced and durable. I use straight gauge spokes on all my wheels and have had better durability than with double butts...altho I have heard the arguments the db's should be better (I'm not worried about the weight, I use brass nipples too).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

I work in .001 tolerances

response...

Thanks for the feedback!
    I am trying to build up something not too light and not too heavy, but durable. Are the XT hubs loose ball bearing?

Keep on Rockin...

Overkill for a trail bike tire....

They are a good rim for the price but they are not light. I've used them for FR and light DH a few times in a pinch and they've held up fine (BTW w/ 2.7 Intenses).

I'd say a much better choice for a trail bike tire would be an 819 (old 519). That's what I've been using.

Mike

mtbr member
    Yes, the XT's are cup and cone (loose ball bearings).
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J
    They are a good rim for the price but they are not light. I've used them for FR and light DH a few times in a pinch and they've held up fine (BTW w/ 2.7 Intenses).

I'd say a much better choice for a trail bike tire would be an 819 (old 519). That's what I've been using.

Mike