mtbr member

Mavic EX729/DT Hugi FR or EX823/Hope Pro2

I'm looking for my next wheelset and I'm not sure which way to go. I'm a clyde (around 280 right now) who rides mostly AMish type stuff, maybe more on the XC side of things. But my weight and riding style has meant that I seem to be particularly hard on wheels. The reason I need new wheels is I've gone through 2 Azonic Outlaw rear wheels, the freedhub let go on each of them. I also went through a bunch of spokes and they were starting to get a little harder to keep true. Azonic replaced the first one, but has been completely unresponsive on the second (both were destroyed in way less than a year), so I'm done with them. So, a decent rear hub is important to me (I'm more of a masher than a spinner). I've also destroyed a XT freehub in the last couple of years, so as tempting as a those are for the cost I think I'd rather go with something a little better.

Anyway, cost is very important to me, but I don't want to blow a bunch of money on something that isn't going to last. I think I've got it narrowed down to a set of Mavic EX729 rims with DT Hugi FR hubs or some EX823 rims on Hope Pro2 hubs. I currently don't run tubeless, but I've been thinking about switching over, so the 823's have some appeal in that department. The Hope hubs have a good rep, but so do the DT's and the 729's should be plenty burly I'd think (maybe a bit of overkill?). Strength and durability outweighs weight for me. The 823/Hopes are cheaper from Chain Reaction, while the 729/DTs are a bit more from BWW. I had considered some Easton Havocs that can be had for a good price from Pricepoint right now, but the low spoke count and proprietary spokes/hub scare me away.

If it matters; I just got a Specialized Pitch frame that these will be used on, it replaces my hard tail that I cracked the frame on (which I was using after I broke the frame on my IH MKIII).

What would you do in my shoes? I'm open to other suggestions in the same price range of those above ($300-$400), or cheaper.

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Nobody?

Former Bike Wrench
    I'd go with the 823's for the tubeless option, both are a similar weight so that really isn't a factor. Might consider upgrading the Hope hubs to a steel freehub body as well for extra longevity.

mtbr member
    Thanks. The aluminum freehub body does freak me out a little. An upgrade to the steel version will probably be in the cards, they seem a little pricey though??

Former Bike Wrench
    It does seem steep, but maybe you can sell your aluminum one to make up for some of the cost (I'm sure someone has chewed theirs up using the wrong cassette on it).

R.I.P. DogFriend
    How about the Hugi FR hubs with the Mavic 823 rims?

The 729's are overkill for AM riding unless you're hucking or or a complete thrash-monster, even at 280lbs.

Hadley hubs would also be a good choice for you.

mtbr member
    I was kinda thinking that 729s would be overkill, but that's what's available on the Hugi FRs from BWW. They don't seem to offer the 823 at all, let alone paired with the Hugi FR. Hadley hubs are definitely on my wish list, but I can't seem to find any in my price range.

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvibert
    I was kinda thinking that 729s would be overkill, but that's what's available on the Hugi FRs from BWW. They don't seem to offer the 823 at all, let alone paired with the Hugi FR. Hadley hubs are definitely on my wish list, but I can't seem to find any in my price range.

I'd go with the Hugi Freerides.... because they have the Stainless Steel carrier, something someone big with that kind of weight, instead of cheesy aluminum, that gets cut into by the cassette. You need strength, and if you don't jump the 823's should be fine. If you do jump, then get the 729's.