mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Mavic EX 721 - Tick Tick Tick Noise - Anyone else?

I have a set of Mavic EX 721 rims that I built up. The rear is about two years old and started making this tick tick tick noise about 3 months ago, the front is only 6 months old and started making the noise yesterday. I asked my LBS and the wheel guy stated that its a piece of the weld that has come loose and is rattling around. It is driving me crazy. He says I can can disassemble my wheels and send the rims off to Mavic and they will fix or replace the wheels for free.

I wanted to ask a couple of questions.

#1: Anyone else experiencing this issue? Did you get your rims replaced?

#2: Please recommend a equivalent replacement for the EX 721 by another manufacture. I like the EX 721 because they are strong and light, and the tires are easy to get on and off.

Thanks....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by moediff
    I have a set of Mavic EX 721 rims that I built up. The rear is about two years old and started making this tick tick tick noise about 3 months ago, the front is only 6 months old and started making the noise yesterday. I asked my LBS and the wheel guy stated that its a piece of the weld that has come loose and is rattling around. It is driving me crazy. He says I can can disassemble my wheels and send the rims off to Mavic and they will fix or replace the wheels for free.

I wanted to ask a couple of questions.

#1: Anyone else experiencing this issue? Did you get your rims replaced?

#2: Please recommend a equivalent replacement for the EX 721 by another manufacture. I like the EX 721 because they are strong and light, and the tires are easy to get on and off.

Thanks....
    It is fairly common when it has happened to me a pull the tire off find the seam and shoot some silicone sealer in there and try and position the wheel so the piece sticks to the silicone and let it set up. For me it has allways been on a wheel that has been arond awhile. It has not prevented me from still using the EX721.

mtbr member
    They put a pin in the rim to hold it in place while welding. It is common that they can come loose as they are not really needed after the rim is welded. As Moediff suggested try some silicone or JB Weld to stop the pin from rattling.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions Gents. I'll give them a try.