mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New question here. Mavic D521 + Surly Endomorph + Surly 1x1 fork

Ok, let me describe my situation first:

I have already an ok wheel and ok Hope disc brake. The rim is Mavic D521. The fork is too narrow. I'd like to try Surly Endomorph, which is a 3.7" tire. Obviously I need a better fork.

I have two questions:
    1. Would Surly 1x1 fork be wide enough for the Endomorph, if I put the tire on a Mavic D521 rim?
    2. Is the D521 rim too narrow for the Endomorph? Does that combination work?

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolas
    Ok, let me describe my situation first:

I have already an ok wheel and ok Hope disc brake. The rim is Mavic D521. The fork is too narrow. I'd like to try Surly Endomorph, which is a 3.7" tire. Obviously I need a better fork.

I have two questions:
    1. Would Surly 1x1 fork be wide enough for the Endomorph, if I put the tire on a Mavic D521 rim?
    2. Is the D521 rim too narrow for the Endomorph? Does that combination work?
    Don't think the Endomorph would fit in the fork. It was made with the Pugsley frame/fork specifically in mind.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Extremely unlikely to fit in the fork as a Gazzi 3.0 barely fits.

Not recommended to use on a rim as narrow as the 521. Surly recommends at least a 45mm wide rim which is ~50% wider than your rim. The Large Marge rim is ~2.5 times wider than the 521.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Extremely unlikely to fit in the fork as a Gazzi 3.0 barely fits.

Not recommended to use on a rim as narrow as the 521. Surly recommends at least a 45mm wide rim which is ~50% wider than your rim. The Large Marge rim is ~2.5 times wider than the 521.
    Wish I had seen that recommendation by Surly somewhere before asking. Where did you find it?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolas
    Wish I had seen that recommendation by Surly somewhere before asking. Where did you find it?
    I do not remember. It may have been the surlyblog. In any case the Endomorph is too big for the 1x1 fork.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Unless...

...you shave some side knobs or do like a co-worker of mine did, and use a blowtorch to bend the fork out a little bit. Problem solved, and his 1x1 now has Alex DX32's with Endomorph tires on it.