mtbr member

Mavic Crosstrail versus Crossmax

What's the difference between these wheelsets other than the cost? They are within 80g or so in weight so it doesn't look like the Crossmax is worth the added cost (nearly 50% more) for weight savings alone.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi Kevin,
    I've been a Mavic athlete for the past 8 years and I've recently become a Community Manager for them with all things related to MTB, so I'm kind of the Mavic answer guy now! Lol. You have a great question for me to cut my teeth on the MTBR.com message boards with. Manufactures continue to trickle down technologies and products keep getting better and better meanwhile the difference between their "best" and their "dream" products gets closer. Both wheels are great choices, they share a similar width and both rims utilize Fore drilling technology which means the inner wall doesn't have spoke holes. This process provides a stronger rim and makes them tubeless ready right out of the box. The biggest difference between these wheels is the materials used in the spoke. The Crosstrail utilizes a straight pull wire spoke and the Crossmax uses Zicral aluminum. The benefits of the Zicral spokes is the weight savings and it also makes the wheel feel stiffer. 80 grams of rotational weight is definitely significant, but its really up to you to decide if it's worth the investment. If you're the type of rider who needs to have the best or feels you can tell the difference between a Shimano XTR and an XT derailer you'll probably want the Crossmax ST, if you want to upgrade your current wheels and save a few bucks you won't be disappointed with the Crosstrail. I hope that info helps.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The 2013 Crosstrail has the improved freehub now. At 1650g, it is hard to beat the value. I'm not a fan of white hubs, so that rules out the ST and SLR. All of the Mavic UST wheelsets tend to be stiffer than most other brands of wheels for the same weight and pricepoint. The UST rims are very durable, but they could be wider. The bladed spokes on the SLR and Crosstrail are very durable also, but remember they are very wide and they will feel like sails if you ride in a windy area. It is a myth that the spokes are hard to get if you go through a Mavic dealer.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys!
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Mavic Crosstrail versus Crossmax

When shopping pay close attention to what TTTurner said about the 2013 hubs being upgraded. Make sure you are getting the 2013, I almost bought the 2012 by accident.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffLenosky View Post
    Really you? Cool. Love my STP.

Weekend Warrior
    Sep 2010

In the market for some Mavic wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by CDMC View Post
    When shopping pay close attention to what TTTurner said about the 2013 hubs being upgraded. Make sure you are getting the 2013, I almost bought the 2012 by accident.
    So I was pretty much set on buying a set of 2013 Crossrides... then Nashbar clearance a set of Crosstrails that I would assume are 2012's ... which would be the better purchase? Nashbar says the crosstrails have the ITS4 system... What do yall think? Heres the link : Nashbar - Save Up to 80 Percent on Closeouts and Exclusives

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Scou7 View Post
    So I was pretty much set on buying a set of 2013 Crossrides... then Nashbar clearance a set of Crosstrails that I would assume are 2012's ... which would be the better purchase? Nashbar says the crosstrails have the ITS4 system... What do yall think? Heres the link : Nashbar - Save Up to 80 Percent on Closeouts and Exclusives
    I think Nashbar is mistaken. I believe only the 2013 has the improved freehub. $300 isn't bad for the 2012 though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffLenosky View Post
    Hi Kevin,
    I've been a Mavic athlete for the past 8 years and I've recently become a Community Manager for them with all things related to MTB, so I'm kind of the Mavic answer guy now! Lol. I hope that info helps.
    Hey Jeff, I have some crosstrails seems to be the 2012... do you know if theres is some kind of converter for rear 12x142mm

Thanks in advanced