mtbr member

Mavic Crosstrail spoke source

I've searched through these forums and online for vendors that sells spokes for Mavic Crosstrail discs. I plan on buying a set of these wheels, but I also want a few spare spokes in case I break some (which often happens). Are they the same as the Crossmax spokes (I found some vendors who sell those)?

mtbr member
    I think thats a pretty compelling argument why you shouldnt buy those wheels.

Your LBS should be able to order them from mavic for too much money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I think thats a pretty compelling argument why you shouldnt buy those wheels.

Your LBS should be able to order them from mavic for too much money.
    I was hoping that wasn't the answer as I don't want to have a wheel down in action until my LBS gets one in. Is that the only way to really get spokes for these wheels? Through a LBS?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Any Mavic dealer can get those spokes, but you are not likely to find them online or from Mavic directly. My LBS (Velobum in Rancho Mirage, CA) has many Mavic spokes and parts in stock. Don't let the negativity of people on non-standard spokes scare you. The Crosstrail bladed spokes come from the Crossmax and they will outlast most standard spokes. I never broke one in six years on my Crossmax wheelset. I've rarely had the same experience with my many custom built wheels. Also, they are as strong as anything out there. I had huge branches go into my Crossmax wheels while riding in the forest and they amazingly didn't severely damage the spokes. The biggest negative is the bladed spokes will work like sails in heavy winds.

mtbr member
    A well respected older member posted a few days ago on RBR that he had 83,000 miles on his wheels with no broken spokes. Conventional 32 spoke wheels. Sure its road, but 83,000 miles! Many of us who build wheels have had zero broken spokes, or one or two random ones over many thousands of miles and many years. Some have had no broken spokes except for physical damage.

You have to ask yourself what benefits you're getting from using these expensive proprietary parts. Theres no benefit... well, do you get that freehub bushing that wears out all the time, but I dont think thats really a benefit. Instead of 1 dollar spokes, you have 6 dollar spokes, and thats assuming you have the rare LBS who stocks mavic stuff.

If you trash a rim, *if* you're lucky you can order one. Its about 300 bucks. Plus spokes if you need them.

You just have to wonder what you're getting using these types of wheels. They at best, hold up as well as normal wheels. Worst case, you've got some pretty big costs for no good reason.

mtbr member
    Thank you both for the input. I was about 95% set on the wheels, mainly because of the convertible hubs (I'll be moving them from my current hardtail with 9mm qr to a full suspension/thru axel). Now I think I'm only slightly more than 50% sure of them. I think I'll get some opinions from my LBS this weekend.

mtbr member
    Not to be pessimistic, but your LBS will probably push the type of wheels they sell. If they have an active wheel builder, they'll probably push a conventional wheel set. If they dont, they'll probably push mavics.

Most popular hubs these days are convertible to all standards. Dont let that hold you up!

mtbr member

Re: Mavic Crosstrail spoke source

While One Pivot makes valid points (in my opinion), I agree with TTTURNER. yes, mavic uses some proprietary stuff that costs more to replace and may be tough to source on short notice. But I also found the zicral spokes to be super strong. I had to replace one one time over 6 seasons from stomping a foot through the spokes during a crash. I believe the free hub has been re designed, but I don't know if that's across all Mavic products. It is true that in the old free hub the nylon bushing was an Achilles heel.
    If you are looking at a UST wheelset, I think that Mavics do it the best.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TulsaClint View Post
    I've searched through these forums and online for vendors that sells spokes for Mavic Crosstrail discs. I plan on buying a set of these wheels, but I also want a few spare spokes in case I break some (which often happens). Are they the same as the Crossmax spokes (I found some vendors who sell those)?
    I had these wheels for almost 2 years, and liked them up until the point where I tried to sell them. When I took them off the bike, I noticed hairline cracks around 4-5 of the spoke holes. I ride a bit of everything except for big downhill stuff, so these wheels were probably not the right choice. But still, they are mountain bike wheels and it seems they should have held up better with under 2 years of use.

If you plan on riding mostly XC stuff, they're probably all right.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    If you plan on riding mostly XC stuff, they're probably all right.
    I guess that's another one of my worries. I ride pretty aggressively, don't always keep the wheels on the ground, and weigh a bit over 200 lbs.

mtbr member
    I'm about 180, and I like my air time too.

I'd stay away from those wheels and look for something a bit wider and tougher, even if they are a little heavier. I'm running the XTR Trails right now, but only since Chirstmas so I'm not sure how they'll hold up. I have friends who ride similar stuff and both have Easton Havens. Aside from hub issues, which Easton has now resolved, they're both still going strong. Nice looking wheels, 21mm wide rim, UST, and available in all flavors of axle.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hey TulsaClint,
    Read your thread and thought I'd give you my two cents. I've been a Mavic athlete for close to ten years so I'm pretty familiar with the line. The Crosstrail you asked about is completely new for 2013. It has some really great features like the ITS4 freewheel which eliminates any of the old service concerns and has a much faster engagement, it also has Fore drilling so the rim can be run tubeless without all kinds of rim tapes or strips and produces a stronger wheel. I was lucky enough to travel to Mavic headquarters this winter and got to see the engineering and testing that goes into each set of wheels, it was amazing. They design every part of the wheel to work together as a unit so they can ensure a consistent ride feel and quality. That's the purpose of specific spokes etc. I've been riding Mavic wheels for over 10 years and I can count on one hand the number of times I've had a issue, and it was usually doing something really stupid. :-) All the parts are available from your local dealer so if you ever did have a problem you can find them there. The wheel is completely new for 2013 which might be why you haven't found any parts available online. If you decide to go with the Crosstrail and you use them for their intended purpose I think you'll be very happy with them.

Just my 2 cents, hope it was helpful!
    Jeff

BOA
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Spoke Measurement / Part no for Mavic Crossmax SL SSC

Hi.
    Can anyone help me Identify which year those wheels are?
    and what replacement spokes to buy?
    and where I can find them in the US?

I have a broken / split nipple on one spoke which I need to replace and get few extra for the future maintenance...Mavic Crosstrail spoke source-1-dsc_5075.jpgMavic Crosstrail spoke source-2-dsc_5077.jpgMavic Crosstrail spoke source-3-dsc_5078.jpgMavic Crosstrail spoke source-4-dsc_5079.jpg

The spoke measures 272mm total length but is that the correct way to measure straight pull spokes?

Spokes are Flat Air 2.1 x 4.3mm and Diameter 3.2 integrated M7 aluminum nipple

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hey BOA,
    I checked that for you. It's a 2003 XMax SL wheel.
    The front and non drive side rear are part number M40743 and the drive side rear is M40745

You might want to browse the Internet or local Mavic dealer, the warehouse doesn't stock parts beyond 10 years.

Hope that info helps.

Jeff

BOA
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi Jeff

Thank you very much for your time.

Great help. Exactly what I needed. I will find them online with the right part number.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Just Broke One Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by BOA View Post
    Hi Jeff

Thank you very much for your time.

Great help. Exactly what I needed. I will find them online with the right part number.

I Have the same wheel set and broke a non-drive side yesterday.
    Where can I find one?

scott@saebuilders.com

BOA
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi Scottnofx

Here is one on ebay

Mavic Cross Max Spokes | eBay

not cheap...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks Boa, Just bought one.