mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Mavic Crosstrail Disc vs Crossmax ST vs Easton Havoc AM

Narrowing a new wheelset down to the above three; 6'1", 200lbs, 07 SC BLT XL; friend has the Crosstrails and loves them, but he rides less aggressively; had a set of the havocs on a stolen 06 stumpy and found them to be bullet proof, but I'm thinking about making the leap to tubeless (the eastons aren't UST). Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    im actually in the same situation. would love to hear some feedback.

Btw, isnt the Crossmax ST more a normal XC wheel?

achiever
    Havocs are $350 at Jenson right now. Tubeless options are DIY or Stan's for 'em. Just started using mine this week and love them. Super stiff, pretty light and freehub engagement is way, way faster than what I was used to (LX).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by redwarrior
    Havocs are $350 at Jenson right now. Tubeless options are DIY or Stan's for 'em. Just started using mine this week and love them. Super stiff, pretty light and freehub engagement is way, way faster than what I was used to (LX).
    And not in stock either.

In my case it has me leaning back toward a conventional wheel built by hand.

achiever
    Didn't know they were out, sorry 'bout that. They are handbuilt, however (at least according to the Easton website).

Arrrghhh!!!

Crosstrail feedback

I haven't tried the others, but I got an 08 set of Crosstrails this past winter and love 'em. I'm 170 with gear and ride pretty aggressive on rough trails with some small jumping (<3'). The Crosstrails are stiff, moderately light for tubeless and have held up well. I use them with standard Nevegals, and its been a great setup so far.
    I got a good deal on the wheels through ebay, but if I was going to pay full price I might get a set built up. I've heard great things about Mike Garcia at oddsandendos, 866-292-0124 (toll-free), though I've never done business with him.
    Good luck,
    The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James