Yay!
    Mar 2011

Mavic Crosstrail Disc UST vs BWW Custom Build - Advice!

First and foremost, thank you all for the awesome advice I always find on this site. I've learned a ton from reading the various threads on this site, and finally decided to make my first post. Also, I'm sorry for the length, but I like to be as detailed and thorough as possible.

Being as fickle as I am, this is a post asking for advice. I'm thoroughly confused, and am finally at an impasse.

I am riding a 2010 Felt Q620, 99% stock everything (I have SPD pedals). I currently have Slime tubes in the stock wheels and tires. I plan to go tubeless, and my wheelset selections reflect this. I know the bike was only $650 to begin with, but I've ridden a handful of other bicycles and simply like my bike's feel, geometry, etc. A new bike isn't really an option due to many factors.

I'm 5'8", 150lbs, in good shape, but am only slightly better than an avid amateur rider.

Here is where I'm having trouble deciding:

Choice number one is the Mavic Crosstrail Disc UST. ( http://www.mavic.com/en/product/whee...rosstrail-Disc )

They are 1685 grams, 24-spoke. I can get them for ~$350.00 shipped. After many searches (both forum and Google), I've discovered the only real negative is that they can be somewhat flexy. I assume this is attributed to the 24-spoke, but that's only my speculation.

Choice number two (thanks to the many nods to BWW) is a custom build consisting of:

Mavic 819 Disc (UST)
    Shimano XT hub (front and rear)
    DT Alloy Nipples
    DT Comp 2.0/1.8=14/15g spokes

This setup weighs about 2080 grams, 32-spoke. They are costing me ~$335.00 shipped. I figured they'll be a bit stiffer and possibly more durable.

So which should I go with? I can only assume that the Crosstrail's hubs are decent, but I also figure the XT hubs to be quite nice as well. It isn't particularly important, but I really like the way the Crosstrails look. ...I can also appreciate the hand-built nature of the BWW build. I primarily ride a relatively "flat" area with a ton of turns. There are a few climbs, an equal amount of descents, and a handful of rocky technical area. You could go fairly fast if it weren't for the plethora of turns.

Thanks again!!!
    Last edited by Lenbo1982; 03-09-2011 at 11:26 PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    You might look at the new XM hubs from BWW...they'll cost a little more but they feature cartridge bearings and a 6 pawl 30 poe rear freehub. You'll also save a hundred grams or so.

In prebuilt, these aren't UST but they work great tubeless (I'm using Specialized 2Bliss tires on a set of Chargers right now). Sun Ringle Black Flag Expert, I like that they use Wheelsmith J-bend spokes so getting replacement spokes shouldn't be hard. They weigh a respectable 1725g and use a 3 pawl, 30 poe freehub.

I generally side with standard handbuilt but I'm pretty impressed with the Sun-Ringle wheels. They use the NoTubes system and mounting was super easy.

A wheelist
    There isn't anything that those Mavics bring to the table as an improvement over normal, handbuilt wheels with readily available and sensibly priced parts, other than some visual appeal, whatever that might be. I'm not aware of any custom or handbuilder of wheels who would build a set of 24 spoke disc brake mountain bike wheels. Yes you're correct about the wheel flex due to lack of spokes. There is no free lunch.

And welcome to the site too and thanks for the great post - containing all the info we need to give an opinion. It's a refreshing change.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Well it looks like they bring about a 300 gram weight savings to the table...
    I haven't noticed flex as a issue (190# rider on Blur LT2).

The only downside is the rim could be a bit wider...but IIRC, that is about the same on the rims you are considering.

FWIW, they do look great too. A dumb point if they functioned poorly, but a bonus for a solid set of wheels.

If you were to go custom built, I would consider Stan's rims and a front hub that can be converted to 15qr and 20TA. You may not need it now, but you never know down the road.

The Cheater
    Choice number 1 is better imo as the resale is better, lighter, and Mavic hubs are durable. #2 has a few issues: too heavy, need to find a real qualified builder, XT hubs suck.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Veda
    Choice number 1 is better imo as the resale is better, lighter, and Mavic hubs are durable. #2 has a few issues: too heavy, need to find a real qualified builder, XT hubs suck.
    You don't think BWW is a "real qualified builder"?

mtbr member
    I would deffenetly go BBW build ..
    But if you ride flat trails as you stated I would pick a lighter set of rims v the one you refered.
    I picked the DT Swiss 4.2 / 1.8/2.0 spokes with BWW pure xcr hubs 430$ shiped . And I must say im very impresed with the wheel set and the build is top notch
    WARNING : Do not ride your bicycle until you have read and thoroughly understood the owners manual.

Yay!
    Mar 2011
    The main reason I chose the Mavic 819 was for the UST. I know many rims can be converted, but I wasn't particularly interested in the conversion.

I appreciate the replies thus far!

I actually started looking at those Sun Ringle wheels. They seem fairly interesting as well.

Heh. A third choice just makes things even harder!

I wish I knew what the stock wheels on my bike weighed. I tried to piece together a number using those Weight Weenies reference guides, but I'm sure it was grossly off.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie
    Well it looks like they bring about a 300 gram weight savings to the table.
    That's only a fact if you yourself have weighed them. They're well known for advertised weight exaggeration.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm new at this, but got some 819s from bww with their xcr hubs. Went with the front convertible hub in case I want to use a different fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenbo1982
    The main reason I chose the Mavic 819 was for the UST. I know many rims can be converted, but I wasn't particularly interested in the conversion.

I appreciate the replies thus far!

I actually started looking at those Sun Ringle wheels. They seem fairly interesting as well.

Heh. A third choice just makes things even harder!

I wish I knew what the stock wheels on my bike weighed. I tried to piece together a number using those Weight Weenies reference guides, but I'm sure it was grossly off.
    I have a set of mavic 823 , 2.0s, xt hubs , center lock discs on my FS And there like bomb proof ! The DT Swiss are going on a light ht frame im building , so I think you done well picking mavic 819s.
    WARNING : Do not ride your bicycle until you have read and thoroughly understood the owners manual.

Ow!
    I am a big person at currently 255 lbs (wow, I lost some weight!). I was using Crosstrails (2008 model?) on my hardtail, and am currently using 819's. I did not notice any excessive side-to-side flex with the Crosstrails, but then I flex everything. The Crosstrails seemed to flex less than most of my previous wheels (factory and handbuilt by others), but flex more than the wheels I have built lately with 819's and 823's. I stopped using them because I don't cross country ride--I bash, even on my hardtail. The Crosstrails were taking a beating (had to start truing the rear occasionally), so I put them to the side to use when I hit the "smoother" trails. 819's with 32 14g spokes seem to handle the rough better.

At your weight, I wouldn't think that flex is a concern with the Crosstrails unless Mavic drastically changed something from my model. I understand they improved the hub since mine (I had to replace a pawl).

One thing very positive about the Crosstrails is that they were "quick". Once the hub engaged (which is slow compared to my Kings), I was moving. I think that is because they are light and stiff (forward). They are a fun wheel to ride.

Yay!
    Mar 2011
    Ok everyone. Thank you for the replies. I think I'm going to go ahead and go with my initial choice and rock some Crosstrails. I've always been one to really trust my first instincts, and the more and more I look, the more and more I like them.

Our trails (Buck Creek in Abilene, TX) and the other trail system I'd ride (SASP) really don't have any majorly tough (as in testing durability) areas.

Now it's just a matter of tires. I plan on going tubeless, so that's a consideration. I've always had a thing for the Maxxis Minions, but everyone keeps telling me they're too "beefy" for what I do. I also like the Maxxis Ignitors and Nobby Nics. Truth be told, I know even less about tires than I do wheels (which was minimal to begin with!). So, suffice it to say that I'm at your collective mercy!

This is what our trail looks like (more or less): http://www.mountainbiketx.com/texas/.../buckcreek.php

Thank you for your continued advice and support!

The Cheater
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    You don't think BWW is a "real qualified builder"?
    Oh they're qualified alright. I'm just referring in general it's hard to find a certified wheel builder. For example, in my country there is... none

Yay!
    Mar 2011
    ...something just occurred to me... The Mavic wheels are Center Lock. My bike is currently 6-bolt. I know the Mavic wheels come with an adapter, but when I get around to upgrading my brakes, couldn't I just get Center Lock rotors and dispense with the 6-bolt adapter?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenbo1982 View Post
    ...something just occurred to me... The Mavic wheels are Center Lock. My bike is currently 6-bolt. I know the Mavic wheels come with an adapter, but when I get around to upgrading my brakes, couldn't I just get Center Lock rotors and dispense with the 6-bolt adapter?
    Yeah...I was wondering the same thing myself!
    Just bought a set of the Crosstrails from H&R (great price!). I suppose I could use the adapters, but I'd rather not.
    I'm on a Superlight with Juicy 3's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Had some BWW products built for my Brother-In-Law over holidays. Built quickly, arrived without any problems, and wheels were solid. He is a clyde, so I had some tough wheels built. They did a fabulous job, and I would get anything they build over Mavic any day of the week. Your wallet will thank you in the end.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!