Resident Texican

Mavic Crossride UB Disc

I'm just wondering what the consenus is on this wheelset. There are only two reviews on this site, and they seem to be a little conflicting. I'm just looking for a budget upgrade wheelset from the stock wheels that came with my P. All Mountain. I can get them for a pretty good price at REI, so I'm already tempted to buy them anyway. Just want to make sure it's a good purchase for me.
    F@%K! Where the hell did that tree come from?!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    bump, also considering these. Anyone have them and have any impressions?

Former Bike Wrench
    There are many reports of hub and FH body issues with the Mavic wheels. I've owned two sets of Mavic wheels in the past and they are the last two pre-fab wheels I'll ever own. Great rims, lousy hubs...I had issues with both rear hubs.

YMMV

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    I've had the 'regular' Crossride discs, not the UB version, though I don't know if they're any different other than the dual-braking business.
    I ran one set almost 4 years on an AM bike with no issues. They don't roll the fastest and are fairly heavy but as a budget wheelset they should be fine and hold up to some abuse.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I have a set of 2008 CrossRide UB-Disc wheels. I put two full seasons on them, partially in Arizona and partially in Michigan, and have had no problems at all with them. One might be a tiny bit out of true, but not by much. I'm 165 with gear, ride full suspension, and don't get big air. For the price, I thought they were great. I plan on converting them to tubeless at some point.

Rub it............
    I ran a set 2 years ago on my hardtail, then switched them to my FS rig for 7 months. I bought them used off Ebay. IIRC they were used for around 1-1.5 years. Now they are on my wifes bike. Zero problems with the hubs. Never even came out of true either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I had a set for one year. Rims were pretty good. Rear hub was extremely loose by the end of one season and there was nothing I could do to fix it. It made it feel like the cassette needed to be tightened. Perhaps another downside is spokes may be difficult to find.

On the plus, they are inexpensive.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Point of note: Plan ahead and get one or two cassette spacer rings if you buy this wheelset and are using Shimano cassettes with 11T small cogs. I had to run one ring on mine to make the cassette fit properly. My LBS sold me the spacers for about a buck.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB
    Point of note: Plan ahead and get one or two cassette spacer rings if you buy this wheelset and are using Shimano cassettes with 11T small cogs. I had to run one ring on mine to make the cassette fit properly. My LBS sold me the spacers for about a buck.
    That is because Mavic uses their Road FH Body on this wheelset which is spaced to fit Mavic's Campagnolo spaced 9 and 10 speed Shimano splined cassettes...which are wider than Shimano 9 and 10 speed cassettes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've been riding this wheelset for two seasons now and they're a fine wheelset for the price. They're slightly flexible under my 205 lb weight, but they've worked well for me. I do have to true them periodically but I do that at home in 10 minutes or less.

mtbr member
    I used them on my hardtail for 3 or 4 years, they held up great. I beat the crap out of them and there were a few flat spots but they were still true. The freehub body needs to be lubed once and a while but that's easy maintenance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Are Crossride wheels strong enough for 203mm rotor in front?