mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Mavic Crossride or Shimano XT hubs with Mavic 819 rims?

I am thinking about getting a set of new wheels for XC and I am unsure which to get. Could someone tell me which is better between the mavic CrossLand wheelset and a Shimano 760 hubset with Mavic 819 rims? They are both about the same price (Crossland about $20.00 more). Thanks

bi-winning
    one of the biggest differences is that the XT hubs use a cup and cone system with loose ball bearings, whereas the mavic hubs use cartridge bearings.

Honestly, I can't tell you which system is better, so i am not going to try and bs a response.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

on my 3rd wind...
    If I were you, I would pick the 819/XT hub combo.

1. Cheaper by $20 as you stated.
    2. I find that XT hub hub last long time if you stay on top of anuual maintenace & as needed bearing adj.
    3. 819 rim is UST tubeless but Crossride is not.
    4. 819 will be stiffer since it has more spoke count 32h vs 24h. Good chance that 819 is much beefier rim too..

edit: If weight of the wheel is importance, Crossride will be lighter by ~150gram'ish.
    Last edited by SingleTrackHound; 05-09-2007 at 05:59 AM.
    sth

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    In your title you say Crossride, but in your post you say Crossland, so I am not sure which set your are referring to.

The Crossride in non UST, but the Crossland is UST.

Any of the sets of wheels are not bad, but I myself give the nod to the Mavics with their cartridge bearings.