mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Mavic Crossmax ST Bearing question

Hey guys. After a long weekend of riding I noticed the bearings in the freehub on my 2012 Crossmax St were feeling very gritty. Definitely felt like a bearing problem. When I popped them out and spun them in my hand they felt okay - nice and smooth. Back in the hub after a good clean of all the parts and again back to the grittiness. Not sure what's going on here.

Something I've noticed is that the freehub design has one bearing pushed in to the end, followed by a spacer tube, followed by the other bearing. Just wondering if the pressure of the spacer tube on the two bearings is causing a bit of resistance on the balls?

Anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions? Do I just buy some new bearings and give them a go?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    That seems pretty strange and hard to diagnose via the Internet. Any chance of bringing it to your local dealer?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Mavic Crossmax ST Bearing question

Yeah I might need to do that. I've ordered a new set of bearings hoping that this will sort things out.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Good quality bearings that are capable of larger side loads will make a huge difference in a lot of cases. I put Japanese NSK bearings in my Mavic Crossmax wheelset and they made a big difference, but they aren't cheap. Don't go for low end Chinese bearings because you will be taking a step backwards.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    hummmmm,
    I know Mavics freehubs need regular attention, but i felt their bearing themselves are good.

Good, well sealed, bearings a just a good investment.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yea I think you're right. I initially bought the wheelset from CRC and after having problems with the axle tolerance, sent it back. There was a known issue with Mavic putting out a few wheels with under-sized axles. Anyway, I told CRC what the problem was but their mechanics obviously knew better and simply rebuilt it with these cheap bearings. I later got a replacement axle from Mavic Zack but I think the bearings that were used by CRC are very low end Chinese and failed after 6 months. I'll try and pick up some NSK today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlsTrance View Post
    Hey guys. After a long weekend of riding I noticed the bearings in the freehub on my 2012 Crossmax St were feeling very gritty. Definitely felt like a bearing problem. When I popped them out and spun them in my hand they felt okay - nice and smooth. Back in the hub after a good clean of all the parts and again back to the grittiness. Not sure what's going on here.

Something I've noticed is that the freehub design has one bearing pushed in to the end, followed by a spacer tube, followed by the other bearing. Just wondering if the pressure of the spacer tube on the two bearings is causing a bit of resistance on the balls?

Anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions? Do I just buy some new bearings and give them a go?
    The spacer between the bearings r so it evenly loads both bearings on the freewheel hub. Did u spin the axle without the freewheel hub? Maybe its a hub bearings. Ive got the same wheels. Ive fully inspected the axle and bearing seals and front bearing interface c clip to the bearing on the disc side. That c clip doesnt evenly disperse load to the bearing , poorly designed hub assembly. Not much extensive engineering went into it. Oh and forget about washing anywhere near the hubs, water easily gets in and WILL seep into the cartridge "sealed " bearings. Been there done that.