mtbr member
    May 2006

Mavic Crossmax SLR Disc. Build that's comparable less $?

I recently picked up an '09 GT Force Carbon Expert that has Mavic XM-719 DISC wheels. FRONT HUB: Shimano XT centerlock disc for 15 mm through axle system REAR HUB: Shimano XT Centerlock Disc.
    Would the Crossmax be a decent upgrade for mostly XC (170lbs) no big drops or can I build a wheelset around 1700g with equal or better durability and performance for less $?
    I was checking out BWW, but I'm not sure which rims or hubs spokes ect are the best given their weight.
    (Pure XCR hubs only have 6 bolt) DT Swiss?
    Last edited by Scottyman; 03-13-2011 at 05:49 AM.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyman
    I recently picked up an '09 GT Force Carbon Expert that has Mavic XM-719 DISC wheels. FRONT HUB: Shimano XT centerlock disc for 15 mm through axle system REAR HUB: Shimano XT Centerlock Disc.
    Would the Crossmax be a decent upgrade for mostly XC (170lbs) no big drops or can I build a wheelset around 1700g with equal or better durability and performance for less $?
    I was checking out BWW, but I'm not sure which rims or hubs spokes ect are the best given their weight.
    (Pure XCR hubs only have 6 bolt) DT Swiss?
    Go to BWW's own forum and ask your questions but those crossmax won't be any kind of an upgrade for what you already have plus you'd be buying a much worse wheelset for serviceability.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You're going to get a lot of Stan's choices thrown at ya and for good reasons. Good prices, excellent products, and light weight. I have both the Flow's and Crest, both come in under your weight goal.

There have been some good deals on Easton wheels lately, the EA90's are a good choice. Listed weight of 1560gr and under $500, maybe under $400 on sale.

If you can swing it, go for it cause the weight loss in the wheels is so worth it.
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It appears the EA90's don't have a centerlock option? Only 6 bolt.
    http://www.eastoncycling.com/en-us/ea90-xc-26

Are there adapters or would I need new discs?

Wish I knew how much my Mavic XM-719 DISC wheels weighed so I can compare.

Former Bike Wrench
    Your current wheels weight somewhere between 1900g and 2000g depending on which spokes and nipples your using.

You can easily go with a handbuilt wheelset for less than those Mavic's that will be just as strong and cost less. You might need to go with new rotors as most hubs are 6 bolt. If you want to stick with Centerlock, check out DT Swiss. Here is an example that tips the scales at just over 1600g and cost 1/2 of the Mavics
    http://www.ride-this.com/index.php/w...wheel-28h.html
    http://www.ride-this.com/index.php/w...0x135-28h.html

Poacher
    Sep 2010

I am liking the Easton Haven set for $499-Competitive

Cyclist

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Do the rotors need to be the same size and can they be purchased w/o calipers or are rotors caliper specific requiring me to buy entirely new brakes?

Former Bike Wrench
    Do the rotors need to be the same size and can they be purchased w/o calipers or are rotors caliper specific requiring me to buy entirely new brakes?
    You can buy Shimano 6 bolt rotors, just buy the same size(s) as your running now.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The Mavic Xmas SLR uses cartridge bearings....a similar wheels set would also use cartridge bearings....

While cup and cone bearings are fine...

The cartridge bearings last better in tough conditions with less maintaince.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    You can buy Shimano 6 bolt rotors, just buy the same size(s) as your running now.
    Cool thanks.

Are there any Shimano rotor models that are better than others? (160/180)

Former Bike Wrench
    Cool thanks.

Are there any Shimano rotor models that are better than others? (160/180)
    RT76 are XTR level
    RT75 are XT level

S=160mm
    M=180mm
    L=203mm

You can also use other brands such as the Alligator rotors that are a very good value and come in different "styles".

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    RT76 are XTR level
    RT75 are XT level

S=160mm
    M=180mm
    L=203mm

You can also use other brands such as the Alligator rotors that are a very good value and come in different "styles".
    Thanks!

Also---Any Easton EA90 XC reviews? So far can't find any. EA90's have decent hubs?
    Last edited by Scottyman; 03-14-2011 at 03:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    There are centerlock adapters to convert between 6 bolt. They add a bit of weight though, and stay away from the really cheap ones. Shimano's own model is really nice along with the DT version.

If you do buy rotors do a little research first. If you don't have to break for long periods of time then there is a significant weight reduction options out there that are also really cheap. I am running some of the Ashima Air Rotors on my Epic, they were like $30/rotor and have great stopping capabilities, not to mention really light weight.

As far as wheels go, I'm not a huge fan of Shimano hubs, especially the XT's. I've heard of too many issues and seen them first hand. DT's would be much better, but their rims can be soft which is no good for rocky conditions. I'm guessing Stan's could build you set with centerlock hubs
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I own Crossmax SLR's as an everyday training wheel and Stans Podium MMX as race wheel. The podium MMX burp less air at low pressures, less tire rolling, and seat up new tires easier. I'm sold on stans rim design. I'm considering selling my 2010 excellent condition Crossmax SLR's to fund a set of DT 240s laced to Crest rims as an everyday wheel.

In some ways I thought this seems like a crazy trade out, but the more I read these forums the more I think it makes sense.

So if anyone is interested in a near new 2010 Crossmax SLR set, PM me. :-)

Note: I weigh 160lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I think I know what I want for a rim. Stan's ZTR Crest.
    Would the Crest be too fragile for XC and some all mountain use or should I suck up the little extra weight and go for an Arch build?
    Hub recommendations for a weight weenie. CK ISO for the rear and Hope II in front?
    The Easton EA90 XC's a better value?

addicted to chunk
    I think I know what I want for a rim. Stan's ZTR Crest.
    Would the Crest be too fragile for XC and some all mountain use or should I suck up the little extra weight and go for an Arch build?
    Hub recommendations for a weight weenie. CK ISO for the rear and Hope II in front?
    The Easton EA90 XC's a better value?
    How much do you weigh? Are you a smooth rider or do you bash through rough stuff?

I ride 355's (Crest has replaced this model I believe) on hope pro 11's, (165 lbs with gear), they held up fine in moab, durango, pisgah, & down here in southern NM/TX last couple days. I try to ride smooth, not rammy & such.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark
    How much do you weigh? Are you a smooth rider or do you bash through rough stuff?

I ride 355's (Crest has replaced this model I believe) on hope pro 11's, (165 lbs with gear), they held up fine in moab, durango, pisgah, & down here in southern NM/TX last couple days. I try to ride smooth, not rammy & such.

Mostly smooth stuff w/ some roots, few rocks at times. 6" jumps and under. 170lbs.

addicted to chunk
    I would say you'd likely be fine with the Crest rims. Stan's website say max rider weight on those is 190.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm having Larry build me a set of Crest rims/DT Comp spokes/Red alloy nipples and red Chris King ISO hubs.
    I just hope the hubs aren't as high maintenance as some have mentioned.
    Now to research the Shimano, Alligator and Ashima rotors.
    Why are the Shimano rotors more expensive?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I ordered a set of Formula R1 rotors.
    The weather is nice and I can't wait 'til my build is finished!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Received my wheelset and everything is installed!
    I'm still using my Kenda/tubed tires 'til I decide what tire is best and if I want to deal with goopy messes.
    The tubed Kenda's don't want to set uniformly around the rims. Very lumpy as it rotates. Hopefully they'll set right after a ride.