mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Mavic Crossmax SL Questions

Hey All,

I want to get a new set of race wheels and was thinking of the Crossmax SL's. I am upgrading mainly to go Tubeless and to have a strong fast set of wheels for racing. I am mainly doing XC Marathon racing in the North East (rocky & rooty) and weigh 160lbs. If I am reading the literature correctly, these rims are ready to roll for tubeless......any reason to doubt otherwise??? Thoughts on the Crossmax SL's?? (The 26" 2011's seem to be on sale these days)

Any input is appreciated!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hi...Crossmax SL's are great wheels. These might not be the lightest wheels out there but offer huge performance gains for the money. I have a 1st gen set with over 15,000KM on them with only one spoke replacement. They are tubeless ready. You can run UST tires or tubeless ready with sealant no problems. The only thing to keep in mind is that you will run through some freehub bodies if you put on the miles. You can service the wheels with a set of allen keys and the bearings are also easy to replace and adjust. 2011 on sale now because they have new wheels out for '12. If you find a good deal on '11's you will not regret it. Ride safe...ride often.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    hubdoctor makes a bearing replacement for the bushing so you don't have to worry about them anymore

mtbr member
    May 2009
    They are strong wheels that stay true longer and seal better than all other wheels in the category, but the freehub body is a joke. My Hub Doctor bearing kit made it a lot better, but I would buy the 2012 model because of the improved freehub. You shouldn't have to upgrade a product with a new bearing kit as soon as you buy it.