mtbr member
    Sep 2003

Mavic Crossmax or Shimano XT/Mavic X3.1???

To start, I'm 195# and 6'2" tall. I ride XC trails that range from 7-30 miles long over rocky and sometimes sandy Arizona terrain. I compete in some 24 hour races (beer league) but nothing overly competetive. I typically lug another 5# along in my camelback.

I'm stumped which wheelset I should get for my next bike (an Intense 5.5).

1. Mavic Crossmax XL Disc (1805g) $649
    2. Mavic Crossmax Enduro Disc (1835g) $499
    3. Shimano XT Disc Hubs with Mavic X3.1 Disc Compatable Rims (2011g) $285

At my height/weight, will the CrossMax's be too flexy considering their radial spoke lacing? Is it worth the extra $150 to upgrade from the Enduro to the XL's?

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Colon

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've had good luck w/ Mavic Crossmax wheels over the past few years. Just purchased the Crossmax SLs to replace an older version of the Crossmax. The old wheels were still true and the ceramic coating (non-disk version) was still in tact; I just felt like lightening the load a bit.

I weigh 190 and haven't had any problems related to unwanted flex. I ride XC--no big drops or anything like that--in typical SoCal terrain. But I do a few XC races per year, and I'll push it on the decents. Again, the wheels have held up well. I've heard others complain about spokes pulling through or problems w/ the hubs, but that hasn't happened w/ me.

If the weights you have listed are accurate, then it seems like the Enduros may be a better bet. I thought there was a larger weight difference between the two, though.

I've been very pleased w/ the Crossmax wheelset. I've only ridden the SLs on 2 occassions, but one of them was a race. Even at their weight (I think about 1500), I didn't notice any unwanted flex. They felt really good.

I would think that the Crossmax SL disk would be fine for you, as well. They are a nice bit lighter, but, of course, more expensive. I got my SLs on ebay for a couple hundred less than retail. So that may be an option.

Anyway, good luck.

Craig T

mtbr member
    Sep 2003

Thanks

I was worried about flex. Especially with the radial spokes as opposed to the traditional laced spokes on the Shimano hub. But you sound like you ride and weigh the same as me. The SL's may be a little too light for my liking.

I agree, there is not much weight savings between the XL's and Enduro's, but those are the weights straight from Mavic's website. I'm getting a pretty good deal on the XL's as part of my build kit, so I think I'll take them over the Enduro's.

I'm riding a pair of XT/3.1's right now on my current bike and have been happy with them. That is one of the only reasons I'm still considering them. But I think it's time to expand my horizons and try the Mavics. Who knows, if they die, I still have my old wheels to go back to which are still in pretty good shape.

Thanks again.

Colon

persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Colon
    To start, I'm 195# and 6'2" tall. I ride XC trails that range from 7-30 miles long over rocky and sometimes sandy Arizona terrain. I compete in some 24 hour races (beer league) but nothing overly competetive. I typically lug another 5# along in my camelback.

I'm stumped which wheelset I should get for my next bike (an Intense 5.5).

1. Mavic Crossmax XL Disc (1805g) $649
    2. Mavic Crossmax Enduro Disc (1835g) $499
    3. Shimano XT Disc Hubs with Mavic X3.1 Disc Compatable Rims (2011g) $285

At my height/weight, will the CrossMax's be too flexy considering their radial spoke lacing? Is it worth the extra $150 to upgrade from the Enduro to the XL's?

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Colon
    If you're still considering your options... from what I can see (which is far from everything) it appears that you've narrowed your choices to $650, $500, $285 and set out to compare the three on equal footing.

At the $500 to $650 price range you've got a lot more comparisons to make than just XT/3.1-XM 819 Disc.

I would suggest the following:

Chris King ISODisc hubs
    Sapim CX-Ray Spokes
    Rim of your choice (Mavic, DT Swiss, I like Bontrager for my purposes, etc.)

This set can be had in the $500 range and can be built to suit your needs perfectly, &, IMO, outperform the Crossmaxs from day one.

Depending on rim choice (my ISODisc, CX-Ray, Bonti Mustang Disc Tubeless combo is calculated to weigh 1598 g -- that's 87 g lighter than the Crossmax SL Disc's 1685 g weight) your wheels will be very close in weight to the Mavics. But, I didn't build mine from scratch to save weight.

Hand built wheels just perform so well and have a tremendous lifespan. If you go with King hubs you'll be able to build new wheels around them when the current rims wear out. Of course, you can probably do this with the Crossmax hubs too. The catch is the Mavic hub lifespan won't equal the King's and you're locked into whatever rim/spokes they're offering -- and they aint cheap either.

As far as the handbuilding goes, you can DIY or you can find a competent wheel builder. If you don't know of any in your area or they're not price competitive they're are several great ones who are members here. Just snoop around a little and you'll see some fellow MTBRers who make a living building wheels.

Make no mistake. The Crossmax is a very good wheelset. I'm not saying otherwise. You could do much worse. I also believe you could do better for the money.

Best of luck.