mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Mavic Crossmax Enduro Disc Wheelset

Anyone have a good or bad review on these wheels??

Mavic Crossmax Enduro Disc Wheelset

I can get a brand new set w/ XT rotors for about 375.00....I have been wanting to get a pair of crossmax for sometime. They are about 36gram heavier than the XL's, I dont think that it matters much, just one less beer for me on the weekends.......

Never used tubeless before either, good? bad? ugly?

thanks!!

mtbr member

Great wheels

I have had a set for about 9 months and they are great, you can run tubeless without a rim strip or with UST tires, the stock valve stems are cheap ( I broke one while pumping up a tire with a mini pump) Spring for the Stans all metal valve stems. I had the spokes tensioned once and have never knocked a wheel out of true. I have heard some issues with the freewheel sprawls, but I have not had a problem and the whole mechanism is serviceable (info on Mavic'x website) with no special tools. Go for it!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    So far so good. I have about 1000 miles on them and they are doing well. I too have heard issues with the freewheel body, but that was mavic specific vs. enduro specific. I have met one other rider who claimed that spokes would come out of the hub end with big hits. He said that he had to unscrew the spoke, reinsert it into the hub, then retension it. Apparently it happened to him on a few occations. I have never had this problem, nor heard of it from anyone else, so I don't know what to make of that. Tubeless is the way to go, but pair it with stans sealant to make it truly effective. I had to true the rear once, but that is the norm for most wheels as they bed in.
    Grammar and spelling errors are complementary.

banned
    content deleted as it could possibly offend someone some where some how some time
    Last edited by 29Colossus; 03-22-2007 at 06:54 PM.

mtbr member
    correct me if i'm wrong here, but my undestanding is that the differnece between the Enduro's vs the XL's are the spokes and the fact the front hub is convertible to 20 MM.
    Are those the only differences (besides the resultant heavier weight for the Enduro's)?
    Thanks
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0