mtbr member
    Nov 2009

New question here. Mavic CrossMax 29er, disc

Plan to get the Mavic CrossMax for an Intense Spider 29er. At 225 lbs I have read mixed reviews about the strength and possible over-flexibility of these wheels. On the other hand, some riders have said the wheels are great and that it is all about having the wheels properly tensioned.
    Any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Saddletramp

mtbr member
    I used those rims on my Jet 9 with no issues. When I first started using them I was close to your weight with all my gear. I never had a problem with them and would still be using them if I could convert the front wheel to QR15. But when the Jet was recalled I stepped up the RIP and got a longer travel fork with a thru axle. Now I just need to find a new frame for the Mavics

One minor whine: its a biatch to get tires on, I know it is part of the design...

Mavic CrossMax 29er, disc-img_0093.jpg

4142009BITs001.jpg

Name:  100_2192.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  70.4 KB

11 is one louder than 10
    At 205-210, never really had any problems with mine. Easiest tubeless conversion out there.

I went back to King hubs with stans rims. I simply missed the fast engagement of the kings. Sure, the kings and flows are a bit stiffer, they are also a bit heavier and I do notice.

The Crossmax 29er is a nice wheelset. The Crossmax 29er was a faster wheelset than my kings, a bit flexier (but not bad like many will lead you to believe) and slower engaging. The kings are faster engaging, a bit heavier and a bit stiffer.

The servicing of the Mavic hub is also pretty darn easy. Spokes on the mavic are quite pricey and hard to find if you break one, that said I never broke one.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    I ride a Spider 29er and was considering the CrossMax wheels. I ended up with Industry Nine wheels. In summer race weight is between 130-135, plus gear stuff. I have only had the I9s for a little more than a month, so far so good. I love them.

The big factor for me is I have more tire options on the I9s since they use Stan's rims. I ride ghetto tubeless. With the CrossMax I think ghetto is a lot harder to do (it sure was on my 26er CrossMax SLs). I'm still considering the CrossMax 29ers for a second wheelset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by herothedog
    I ride ghetto tubeless. With the CrossMax I think ghetto is a lot harder to do (it sure was on my 26er CrossMax SLs).
    I had Mavic Crossmax SL's, and I actually never used a UST tire on them.

I ran only regular tires on them tubeless, but I first used a Stan's strip, and then later on switched to using a split 20" tube. If you do not use some kind of rubber strip to seal, then a regular tire which is not made to seal to ANY rim, may not seal properly, or seal up but burp easily.

I ran Panaracer Rampage tires a lot on my Crossmax SL rims using the 20" split tube and never had one burp that way. You don't want to pressure them up high though. Only about 35psi to check for leaks and shake the sealant, since you are not popping a UST bead tire into place.

Only downside for me was I ended up having the pawls break in the hub, and they did hub damage when they broke. I bought a cheaper set of Crossride wheels to replace them and in less than 3 months they did the same thing.

I read that newer Mavic wheels have different freehub design. Maybe it is more durable. The I9 sure looks like a more durable freehub design to me.