deez nuts

Mavic Cross Max SLR vs. DT Swiss Tricon 1550

I am trying to decide which wheelset to put on my new Yeti ASR5 C.

I was leaning towards the DT's because of the 142x 12 bolt thru option. (stiffer, stonger rear) They are a little heavier and you need a set of adapters for 6 bolt disc's or I would need to buy splined rotors...which is another expense. They are pretty close in price. Not many people have the DT wheels so I'm not sure about durability. Super high spoke tension...looks interesting. Finding a spoke should I need one, could be more difficult than with the Mavics.

I liked the Mavic SL's I had and they have been plently durable with the only exception being the pawl issue. I think Mavic has sorted out the pawl issue with the new hubs right? Mavic tubeless is the shizz.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Shaft

H2o-Bar
    Mar 2006

Tricon Wheelset

After years of dealing with Mavic's freehub maintenance issues I decided to go with DT's new Tricon wheelset.
    I haven't mounted them yet (waiting on frame) but I too plan on using the standard 6-bolt disc's. I was stoked to see that they came with the 6-bolt adapter. Not so sure when my frame will arrive but I'm ready to get them out in the dirt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by H2o-Bar
    After years of dealing with Mavic's freehub maintenance issues I decided to go with DT's new Tricon wheelset.
    I haven't mounted them yet (waiting on frame) but I too plan on using the standard 6-bolt disc's. I was stoked to see that they came with the 6-bolt adapter. Not so sure when my frame will arrive but I'm ready to get them out in the dirt.
    Got any pictures of the Tricons?

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    I've had a few rides w/ my XM 1550 Tricons, and yes, they do come w/ a 6 bolt adapter! I'm running the 135x10mm rear and 15TA front configuration on a Mojo SL. On my other bike, I have an XM819Disc Mavic rim w/ a DT Swiss 240s Hub. AFAIK, Mavic is still using their older hub design on the SLR, SL and ST models. Seems only the Enduro rims and others have the new, faster Pawl system.

The Mavic SLR rims are XC rims/wheels, and have a more narrow rim diameter, 17mm, and Mavic recommends only using tires between the widths of 1 - 2.1", The Tricon wheels, are made for Trail use, have a 19.5mm diameter, and can accommodate tires between 1.7-2.4" diameters. I'm currently running 2.25" tires, f/r.

The Tricon's feel much stiffer, but, that may be, due to the TA configuration. Spokes, well, your right there, the Tricon wheel use a proprietary spoke system, so, changing out spokes may be somewhat of an inconvenience. However, having said that, my Mavic rims still have the original spokes on them.

If cost isn't a factor, you may want to consider the Fulcrum Red Metal Zero wheels, heard they are very nice, and have a faster engagement system that most hubs. Also, I think they are affiliated w/ Campy, which makes Super high end road components. But, these wheels are very expensive, that's why I went w/ the Tricons.

Here are some pictures:
    All Ibis Mojo SL (Super Light) Bike Builds Here!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinK
    I have an XM819 Disc Mavic rim w/ a DT Swiss 240 hubs
    Heya Kev, I'm thinking of building up 819's on 240 hubs, can u tell me how this wheelset weighs? Also what spokes did u uses? Cheers, would love a real life weight on this before pulling the trigger!

parts leftover
    Quote Originally Posted by lzyboy
    Heya Kev, I'm thinking of building up 819's on 240 hubs, can u tell me how this wheelset weighs? Also what spokes did u uses? Cheers, would love a real life weight on this before pulling the trigger!
    They'd weigh around 1895 together without skewers or axles with DT Swiss competition spokes.

mtbr member
    I was in the same boat as you but between the Mavic SL's and Fulcrum Red metal 1. I read great things about the DT wheels sets but dont know of anyone running them. I ended up running with the RM1 and have been very pleased. They seem to be lighter ( I havent weighed the two) and stay true better.

Good luck
    ~Dont taze me Bro~

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I am running the Tricon 1550s and I love em. I weigh 170 and rode them in the Downieville classic XC recedsntly. They held up great on some AM type terrain. Very stiff, good tubless performance.

Repairs are a pain with any new wheel system. DT swiss has made repair kits available. They are not cheap, $100 for a set of 8 spokes, nipples and boats.

stiffness - 9
    repair cost - 6
    weight to performance -10