mtbr member
    Mar 2006

New question here. mavic chain disc?

do all mavic wheels come with a "chain disc"? I recently purchased a mavic wheel set. When I got home and looked at the manual it showed instructions to put on a chain disc before the cassette. My wheel set does not have a chain disc. I would like one, it appears to protect the spokes from a chain that jumps off the cassette. Did the LBS forget to put it on (I was BSing with the mechanic when he did it) or did mavic forget to put one in the box?

Thanks!
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by rekibtm
    do all mavic wheels come with a "chain disc"? I recently purchased a mavic wheel set. When I got home and looked at the manual it showed instructions to put on a chain disc before the cassette. My wheel set does not have a chain disc. I would like one, it appears to protect the spokes from a chain that jumps off the cassette. Did the LBS forget to put it on (I was BSing with the mechanic when he did it) or did mavic forget to put one in the box?

Thanks!
    Spoke protectors are lame (so mavic didn't include one). Properly adjusted limit screws are way cooler (and work better).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is your cassette loose?

On my Crossmax XL, the plastic gizmo is more than just a spoke protector, it also acts as a spacer and is required for the cassette to be proprerly snugged up.

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Is your cassette loose?

On my Crossmax XL, the plastic gizmo is more than just a spoke protector, it also acts as a spacer and is required for the cassette to be proprerly snugged up.
    What? Are you sure? Many of my teammates ride Mavic's...I've never seen one of them with a spoke protector (even crossmax XL's). It would seem ridiculous to use that brittle weak plastic as a cassette spacer.

what...?
    I'm using that little plastic spokie thingie as per my LBS on my XMXL's for exactly the reason Phil stated. It snugs the cassette down better. MY bud's XMXL's did not come with one, however, and his Sram cassette fits fine. My Xlands don't have it either and the casette fits fine.........so, what is the dealio with that thingie?

I also thought those cheezy plastic spokie covers were a waste, but Shiggy believes it is a necessity

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    my sram cassette seems to be fit fine with out the cahin disc. I was curious about having it to protect my spokes if the chain jumps over the largest cog. The mavic chain disc appears to be small and not so dorky as the big spoke protector. But I guess a properly adjusted b screw keeps the chain on properly. My chain has jumped off in the past and ruined my spokes. I guess the b screw was not adjusted properly.
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

bump and grind
    You mean the low limit screw. The b-screw will not keep the chain from jumping into the spokes.