Master
    May 2009

Mavic 819 vs Notubes ZTR Olympic 347

I am about to build a new wheelset around Hadley hubs. I've come down to either Mavic 819s or ZTR Olympic 347s. I weigh 135, no more than 150 geared up. What do you recommend and why? What are you experiences with each.

I would consider my riding style as All Mountain. Thanks for all your help!

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by non_vtec
    I am about to build a new wheelset around Hadley hubs. I've come down to either Mavic 819s or ZTR Olympic 347s. I weigh 135, no more than 150 geared up. What do you recommend and why? What are you experiences with each.

I would consider my riding style as All Mountain. Thanks for all your help!
    The Olympics are a pure cross country rim.

The 355 or Arch would be better fit for that sort of riding, even at your weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    819s are much stiffer and stronger...and heavier.

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    Apples and oranges. The olympics are not an all mountain rim.... at all. I wouldn't trust them for anything 'all mountain', even at your weight.

JMO, YMMV.
    Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte

Master
    May 2009
    What about the 355s vs 819s? Would that be a better comparison. I know there is a difference in weight, but does anyone have any experiences with the 355s? How do they hold up? Do they stay straight and true? Thanks for all your info!

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Frs1661
    Apples and oranges. The olympics are not an all mountain rim.... at all. I wouldn't trust them for anything 'all mountain', even at your weight.

JMO, YMMV.

I second this. I weigh 170 and ride like a grandma's grandma and still needed to get my olympic 347 wheels trued about every month and a half.

Master
    May 2009
    Well that answers my question about the 347! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    With its sealed spoke bed and narrow width (for its weight) the 819 is a strong rim and very foolproof. I never had to mess with any of mine. The Arch is lighter and stiff/strong enough to get close, though the 819 is still a slightly more durable rim IMO. At 185, I'd easily use the Arch. Well, I do but in 29er size so it wil be even stronger in 26.