mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Mavic 117 vs Sun Mach IV

I just bought a 2004 model Specialized Rockhopper (International) that came with Sun Mach IV rims as opposed to the catalogue quoted Mavic 117's.

I have no experience with either rim's. What say you guys? Good, bad or ugly? They're mounted on the spec hubs though.

I need to go bark at the dealer for a number things related to the build quality anyways, so, should this be added to the poo list? Or should I smile with my thumbs up?

Top of the poo list is that a brake block hit tire side wall on the way home from the dealer!

No broken bones however.

Feedback would be appriciated.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Poo
    I just bought a 2004 model Specialized Rockhopper (International) that came with Sun Mach IV rims as opposed to the catalogue quoted Mavic 117's.

I have no experience with either rim's. What say you guys? Good, bad or ugly? They're mounted on the spec hubs though.

I need to go bark at the dealer for a number things related to the build quality anyways, so, should this be added to the poo list? Or should I smile with my thumbs up?

Top of the poo list is that a brake block hit tire side wall on the way home from the dealer!

No broken bones however.

Feedback would be appriciated.
    Both low end budget rims. I had 117's which I never had any real problems with. I have a feeling that the Mavic 117 are probably more expensive rims, but am not sure. I'm just saying that cause I believe I saw some Kona bikes using the sun mach rims and then some higher models using the 117. But am unsure.

I don't think it is really anything to complain about, and probably not your bike shops fault(most likely the Manufactuer, they will probably have something in the catalouge saying how they can change the specs of the bikes without notice..).

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Thanks for your reply bike freak

Thanks for your reply, Bike Freak.

I noted a link at the bottom of the posting page about a similar issue for someone revolving around a Rockhopper Pro earlier last year. So, I'd assume that this is not an uncommon thing, given that it covers different sales territories. The other person was based in Canada I believe, I'm based in London, England.

Perhaps someone else could confirm this. But, at the end of the day, I just want the better rim

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Both low end budget rims. I had 117's which I never had any real problems with. I have a feeling that the Mavic 117 are probably more expensive rims, but am not sure. I'm just saying that cause I believe I saw some Kona bikes using the sun mach rims and then some higher models using the 117. But am unsure.

I don't think it is really anything to complain about, and probably not your bike shops fault(most likely the Manufactuer, they will probably have something in the catalouge saying how they can change the specs of the bikes without notice..).