mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Mav 719's & Stans: Velox tape yes/no?

I tried searching but there are so many psts with both names in tem that I couldn't find what I'm looking for.

Anyway, has anyone converted 719's without their old rim tape left on? I was going to use the stans yellow tape in 2 layers instead.

I'm mounting Speci Captain & Purgatory, Control 2biss.

Thanks,

Mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Doesn't work well...

I converted a set of 719s quite some time ago. And you do need the original Velox tape in place. The space between the edge of the spoke bed and the bead hook of the rim is just to wide for even two layers of stans tape to fill up. I know I tried. You'll need the 22mm wide Velox, it needs to go from bead to bead. The problem is that extra space between the bead and the spoke bed needs to be filled a bit more than is possible with the yellow tape. Some rims you can get away with two layers and your fine. But with the 719 two layers isn't enough and three layers is to much, and it doesn't sit evenly as far as thickness goes. So you get spots that are okay and spots that are too tight, mostly spots that are to tight with three layers for tape.

I had the devils own time trying to set up the 719 with just the yellow tape and rubber rim strip. Put the velox in, installed the rubber strip over it and presto! Stans knows what they are talking about. So save yourself some headache and install the velox tape.

Oh and as a side note. Don't overlap the velox like you would normally for a tubed setup. Just cut the tag end of the tape so that it is as close as possible to the start end. The ideal is to have both ends just touching, but a couple of mm of gap won't hurt anything.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    awesome squash. Thanks for the info. I was looking into getting the rim strips and the shops around here only have the kit, with sealant and tape. I figured I'd only go that route if I can remove my current rim tape. I already have a big bottle of Stans.

I'll just get the strips and save the extra $20. Thanks again.