mtbr member
    Dec 2010

... and if we just ... Marzocchi 22 Tire clearance??

Hey guys,

I'm currently running a Marzocchi 22 RLO fork on my hardtail and it is rated at 2.2 max width tires. I have a 2.1" WTB Weirwolf on the front now, which I like but would like to replace/experiment with later on. Can anyone else comment on this fork and the largest tire they've safely ridden on it?

I'm looking at trying the 26 x 2.2 Specialized captain sport because I like the round profile, but I hear the captains are large for the 2.2 size rating. Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by merc13000 View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm currently running a Marzocchi 22 RLO fork on my hardtail and it is rated at 2.2 max width tires. I have a 2.1" WTB Weirwolf on the front now, which I like but would like to replace/experiment with later on. Can anyone else comment on this fork and the largest tire they've safely ridden on it?

I'm looking at trying the 26 x 2.2 Specialized captain sport because I like the round profile, but I hear the captains are large for the 2.2 size rating. Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks
    While with the 22 it is only recommended that you use up to a 2.2" tire, you may be able to go slightly bigger. The problem is the variation in measurement between tire manufacturers as you've noted. The 2.2 Captains do run a bit large. But it's not the tire width that is so much the issue as the tire height. Some tires are taller from the rim to the outside edge of the tread than others. And that is the key measurment, and that's what you have to check when installing a tire that is at the maximum recommended width. Unfortunately I don't know of any tire manufacturer that publishes tire height from bead to top of tread. So what you have to do is measure once the tire is installed and properly inflated. Or have someone that has the same tire, wheels, and fork give you a check.

Here's how to do it. Install the tire on the wheel, install the wheel in the fork. From there remove all air or with a coil fork remove the top cap on the spring side so that the fork can be fully compressed. Measure from the bottom of the crown to the top of the tire. For the Marzocchi 22 you MUST have at least 4mm of clearance between the crown and the tire. If you have the crown/tire clearance, and the rest of the tire clears the brake arch, lowers etc. you're good to go. If not, then don't use the tire. Anything less than 4mm clearance and the tire will make contact with the crown if the fork if fully compressed (bottomed out) while riding. The results of that contact are not pretty.

Unfortunately this requires you to have the tire, or know someone that has your exact set up with the tire that you want to try, and can check it for you before you purchase the tire. Or, if you are lucky, find an LBS that will mount the tire and check the clearance before you buy. I know we'll do it at the shop I work at if a customer requests it.

The bottom line is, it's almost impossible to tell you that the Captain absolutely will fit the 22. The tire should be installed, inflated to your desired riding pressure, and then checked. The 2.2 Captain "should" be okay with the 22. But there's no way to guarantee it.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for all the info Squash! I didn't really think of the height as an issue, but it might certainly be.