mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Magnesium cast wheels - should I bother?

Hi Everyone,

Just saw online today a store in my area selling 26" cast magnesium wheels for bicycles at $200 a set. I really like the design and the fact I won't have to true any spokes. One of my bikes is in need of new wheels because I can't handle the "HJC" garbage on there right now.

I'm tossing between a set of Mavic XM-319, Alex Rims DP20's and this thing.

Magnesium cast wheels - should I bother?-tnm26-w.jpg

Weight wise, I dunno how much a normal wheelset weighs but... it says front wheel is 1.68Kg (3.70lbs) and rear wheel is 1.88KG (4.15lbs).

Is that a bit on the heavy side? It's going onto an electric mountain bike if I do take the plunge and buy them. My e-bike already weighs around 28KG (60lbs-ish) with normal spoke wheels.

So to buy or not to buy?

Thanks.

transmitter~receiver
    Not to buy.

What is "HJC"?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Fat-tired Roadie
    That's a lot on the heavy side. A lot of complete sets weigh what the front alone does.

Given what you're using them for, wtf. On a conventional mountain bike that I powered only with myself, I'd choose the XM-319s from your list, assuming non-sucky hubs.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Not to buy.

What is "HJC"?
    HJC is the brand of wheels I have now. Pretty generic stuff. Model is DA-300. The rim braking surface is worn in pretty hard. At least there are disc brake provisions in place.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    That's a lot on the heavy side. A lot of complete sets weigh what the front alone does.

Given what you're using them for, wtf. On a conventional mountain bike that I powered only with myself, I'd choose the XM-319s from your list, assuming non-sucky hubs.
    The XM-319 come with Shimano Deore hubs from what I can see. Only problem is that they use centerlock for mounting the disc rotors compared to my usual 6 bolt affair. The Mavics are $170 for the wheelset which is a good price IMO.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think Deore is a perfectly good hub. Some people complain about breaking a lot of freehubs. Your mileage may vary.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I think Deore is a perfectly good hub. Some people complain about breaking a lot of freehubs. Your mileage may vary.
    I only found out these were breakable when I walked into a bike shop and a Trek bike needed a whole rear wheel replaced because the freehub broke. Apparently it had some lower end freehub so the Joytech ones didn't fit said the store owner.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Yeah - Deore-compatible freehubs are all over the place. So you should have no trouble getting a replacement. However, if I broke them every six months, I would run out of patience. As it is, the M475 on the back of my rain bike is several years old, though probably not terribly high-mileage, and in its second wheel after being on my old mountain bike for the first half of its life. It's doing fine. I'm somewhat hard on gear but I'm not a big guy - 146 lb today - so there's some context. And of course, there's just one of me, so I'm not much of a sample set. Point being, I'd buy Shimano again, especially over Joytech or one of the other generics.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Was planning to go with either a Shimano Alfine 8 or Nuvinci N360 with the Mavic wheelset. So basically one nicely laced up from factory front rim and a store laced one for the rear IGH. Only then I find out a Nuvinci N360 is 2.5KG by itself :O

Alfine is slightly lighter at nearly 2KG.

My god.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I would argue that rear hubs start at around .4 kilos, MTB cassettes can weigh about that much, and you're saving weight with both derailleurs and one shifter removed from your drivetrain.

Also that your power assist's gotta be pretty heavy, you have power assist, the frame itself's gotta be pretty heavy, and you can't race this bike anyway.

So I think this is an even sillier bike to worry about weight on than usual and the net increase in weight to use an IGH is probably not that much.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I would argue that rear hubs start at around .4 kilos, MTB cassettes can weigh about that much, and you're saving weight with both derailleurs and one shifter removed from your drivetrain.

Also that your power assist's gotta be pretty heavy, you have power assist, the frame itself's gotta be pretty heavy, and you can't race this bike anyway.

So I think this is an even sillier bike to worry about weight on than usual and the net increase in weight to use an IGH is probably not that much.

Hope that helps.
    I suppose you're right about the weight issues now that I think about it. It already weighs in at 30KG as it is... I think I'll just discard the weight nonsense and go all out with the IGH. I was originally concerned about battery drain but then again I'm pretty light at 60KG so that shouldn't be too much of an issue anyway.

Thanks.