83 feet less per minute
    Jun 2004

Lunar Lite tube/Scorpion Air Lite

OK, I'm through with this experiment. Two flats in two rides and I can't find any hole in the tire. Could have been a thorn, but they aren't that common here and when they are, they're very visible on the trail (green). Both holes were in the top of the tube in the middle of the tread. The scorpion is pretty thin and so is the Lunar Lite tube (0.45 mm). I have put my Spec. Enduro Pro 2.2 back on the rear and will try the same trail. For the moment, I still have a Scorpion on the front, but I have put a Spec. MTB tube in it as well as the rear (BTW, they weigh 165 grams as opposed to the Lunar Lites 105 grams).
    Any one else have this experience with the Scorpions?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Not with Scorpions but with other thin tubes. It can be very hard to find a small thorn or piece of wire in the casings and it does not take much of a point to puncture a thin tube.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

ballbuster

I use Lunar Lites....

Quote Originally Posted by paddlefoot64
    OK, I'm through with this experiment. Two flats in two rides and I can't find any hole in the tire. Could have been a thorn, but they aren't that common here and when they are, they're very visible on the trail (green). Both holes were in the top of the tube in the middle of the tread. The scorpion is pretty thin and so is the Lunar Lite tube (0.45 mm). I have put my Spec. Enduro Pro 2.2 back on the rear and will try the same trail. For the moment, I still have a Scorpion on the front, but I have put a Spec. MTB tube in it as well as the rear (BTW, they weigh 165 grams as opposed to the Lunar Lites 105 grams).
    ... and almost never get flats. I use them with Pythons, either Airlites when racing, or Gold Elites for normal riding.

LLs are really touchy about having a clean rim and inside of tire, tho, so be super careful when first mounting them. I switched to 3M strapping tape and Electrical tape for rim strips, and now I don't even get wear induced flats from a cloth rim strip after 6 months like I used to. They are also prone to rim pinching when mounting them. When they go from a rim pinch, they explode pretty hard leaving a 5 inch rip.

I heard that scorpions with their thin casing and open tread pattern are really prone to flatting, so that could be contributing to your flattiness (flatulence?).

Do It Yourself
    The Lunar Lights get a lot of pin holes which usually just translate to slow leaks. You can pump up the tube and dunk it under water to check for leaks. You can patch them. I much prefer the Rema vulcanizing glue patches to the "glueless" sticker type. Also check around the base of the valve stem.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Answer...Go Tubeless

Quote Originally Posted by paddlefoot64

Forget all that and go tubeless w/ Stan's. The one time I thought I flatted, Stans' sealed it up. I didn't even have to use a tube to get back to my truck. Keep those tubes in your camelback just in case you have probs out in trail or sell it someone changing their flat.