mtbr member
    Sep 2010

New question here. Love the MotoRaptor 2.24 Race, want something a bit fatter

Been running the Motoraptor 2.24 Race front and rear for a few years on my Yeti AS-R and have been very pleased with them. I now have a Santa Cruz Blur LT2 which I love, and which came with a Nevegal 2.35 up front. I like the extra width/volume of the Nevegal for rolling over tricky rock gardens and such, but I find that the front washes out unexpectedly much more easily than the motoraptor did in loose/sandy terrain (I mostly ride on the Front Range of CO and many of the trails have a fair bit of sand and marble-sized granite). The Nevegal freaks me out in the loose stuff.

So I'm looking for something like the Moto but with more width/volume to better match the extra travel of the Blur LT. I don't really care too much about rolling resistance - I'm rarely on pavement. And wear isn't too much of a concern. I'm pretty light and rarely flat, even when I run pressures as low as 20 psi. Conditions are pretty dry here for the most part. Would like to keep the weight below 800g. Not running tubeless right now, but plan to convert my rims eventually.

So far I've been looking at the Weirwolf, the Mutano Raptor, and a few of the Specialized offerings. The Spesh Eskar 2.3 S-Works and the 2.3 Clutch Control in particular look promising.

Any advice with the above or other suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks,
    Sean

mtbr member
    Try a 2.4 Motoraptor if you can find one (they're becoming harder and harder to find these dayz). If you can't find one I'd highly recommend the single ply Minion 2.5 DHF. I run the 2.35 version on my BLT but they run narrow so I'd get the 2.5 next time. Another option is the 2.35 Muddy Mary which may actually be better than the DHF (still testing mine but so far very impressed).

Have FUN!

G
    Last edited by Gman086; 09-08-2010 at 08:11 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

I should be studying...
    Definitely avoid the Mutano Raptor 2.4... very low tread, washes out easily, more cush than traction. The Weirwolf 2.3 & bigger on the other hand... are all grins!
    Formerly known as iceaxe