jct
    mtbr member

losing spoke tension?

greetings.

question for you guys...
    i have a rear wheel that was supposed to built up with high tension. when spokes lose their tension, can it cause a crunchy type noise when under heavy load ie muscling up a steep climb?

the wheel in question is geared king hub laced to flow with DT double butted spokes 3 cross. 32 hole. ridden exclusively SS for about 1600 miles.

when i pluck the spokes, there's definitely some on both sides of the wheel that appear to have lost some tension/ping. however, the wheel spins pretty true.

thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    "supposed to built up with high tension"

Have you actually measured them or had your LBC measure and record them for you?
    Your quoted comment above is kinda like saying "They say...". Who are THEY and what did they base their statement on? Otherwise it is kind of a weak 'fact' to go on.
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

mtbr member
    If you get a tension meter on the spokes and confirm that there is uneven tension and the wheel is still very true then it was never properly tensioned in the first place.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmodavis View Post

Have you actually measured them or had your LBC measure and record them for you?
    Your quoted comment above is kinda like saying "They say...". Who are THEY and what did they base their statement on? Otherwise it is kind of a weak 'fact' to go on.
    Total D-bag answer, can you just offer something positive? like the person below?
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmodavis View Post

"They" would be the builder who's currently out of the country and happens to be very reputable around these parts. I'd ask "they" but its not going to happen anytime soon.

Thanks for your "weak" reply.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Does the tension change when you dismount the tire? I'm willing to bet that although it may have been built with high tension, it lost a significant portion of it when you mounted a tire on that rim.

Tubeless setups are notorious for doing this as there is an interferance fit between the bead and the rimbed. So you have a tire trying to compress the rim and thus releive tension on the spokes. Get it retensioned and trued with a tire on it.

mtbr member
    You absolutely dont need a tension meter to check relative tension. You pluck them just like you did. This is a very reliable and accurate way to check relative tension.

If you get much different tones on the same side, but its true, it wasnt built right. It shouldnt make noise though. Not sure what would cause a crunchy noise.

jct
    mtbr member
    thanks alien and one pivot.

i seem to remember plucking them when i got them and noticing that each side was pretty similar in tone.

when i say they are true, i mean that my rotors don't rub!! getting them in a proper truing stand my reveal something entirely different.

i'm going to swing by the LBS after work.

thanks again.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    You absolutely dont need a tension meter to check relative tension. You pluck them just like you did. This is a very reliable and accurate way to check relative tension.

If you get much different tones on the same side, but its true, it wasnt built right. It shouldnt make noise though. Not sure what would cause a crunchy noise.
    Crunchy noise is most likely spoke elbow movement at the hub flange when pedaling hard. Good plan to have someone check it out for him.

I've re-tensioned a few mass produced 29er SS wheels that had 3-4 drive side spokes lose tension (one broke spokes at the elbows). Still going strong a year later and, getting a twice weekly mashing @ 34 x 15.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you're up for a bit of a re-build I would suggest putting linseed oil on the threads of each spoke, then re-tensioning. They'll never go loose on you again.

Problem is you need to gradually de-tension each spoke until you can remove the nipple and then re-tension the wheel. There is a commercially available product called something like spoke prep??? but linseed oil works great for me and it's a couple of bucks for a litre (or quart I guess).

Some wheels are worse than others. The DT hoops that came on my 08 SJ Pro Carbon were Brutal! I had to tighten those buggers every month.

mtbr member

losing spoke tension?

Quote Originally Posted by SJDude View Post
    If you're up for a bit of a re-build I would suggest putting linseed oil on the threads of each spoke, then re-tensioning. They'll never go loose on you again.

Problem is you need to gradually de-tension each spoke until you can remove the nipple and then re-tension the wheel. There is a commercially available product called something like spoke prep??? but linseed oil works great for me and it's a couple of bucks for a litre (or quart I guess).

Some wheels are worse than others. The DT hoops that came on my 08 SJ Pro Carbon were Brutal! I had to tighten those buggers every month.
    I can't hate on it yet since I've never tried it, but what the hell is up with everyone's fascination with linseed oil? From polishing bikes to prepping spokes to sealing a countertop, this stuff must be the nectar of the gods!

Aside from that I would re-tension it as well. Properly prepared spokes are very resistant to what you describe...