Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Loose Stan's 3.30 Front Hub - Suggestions?

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  geekonabike 
#1 ·
I have a relatively new Stan's Crest wheelset with the 3.30 hubs, and the front is starting to have some play in it, most noticably on rocky or bumpy sections where I can feel that something in the front end is loose/rattling/knocking almost like if the headset was loose. It is indeed the front hub, and I have the standard q/r closed with the proper amount of force, and I know Stan's is very explicit in saying not to overtighten it, so I'm looking for suggestions. Everything still rolls smooth, so I don't see how it would be a bearing issue, and everything else on the front end of the bike seems solid.

If you have suggestions and/or expereience with the issue I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

#5 · (Edited)
I have a brand new set of ZTR Arch EX wheels and noticed this on both front and rear (first ride was just this morning). My bearing caps are tight, can't pull the front out by hand and I have not investigated further yet. Wondering maybe if the caps fit too tight and aren't fully sitting down on the bearings. I'm going to try contacting Stan's, too.

Edit to add: The rear caps were a little loose and a pair of 5mm Allen keys seems to have fixed it. The front caps I pulled out, cleaned and lightly greased. Hard to tell if it helped, there is still a little play that I can feel between the caps and the hub body. I'm guessing it's a matter of tolerances in the body, caps, bearings and inner spacer.

#6 ·
My 330 front has the opposite problem, too tight. It all roles fine until you clamp the QR. Any QR force at all & it has a several tight spots. Mine has the 9mm end caps. Thinking out loud, it sound like to axle riding on the inside of each bearing is too long on mine & could be too short on yours. Got to be talking thousands or less here but I'm thinking about sanding mine down a little & see what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.