mtbr member
    Apr 2004

... and if we just ... Looking for some street tires for my Mesa GSD

I am starting to train on the street and my 2.1 VelociRaptors are no street tire. I love them for the trails and such but I need a good street tire. I am looking at the Kenda Kwest 100 psi tire. It seems like a fast rolling high psi tire. I am running stock 26 inch TD-17 rims.

Can I do better for around $20-$25 a tire.

The street terrain will be asphalt, concrete on residential and semi-highway roads.

Any tips or ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 00 DUCK
    I am starting to train on the street and my 2.1 VelociRaptors are no street tire. I love them for the trails and such but I need a good street tire. I am looking at the Kenda Kwest 100 psi tire. It seems like a fast rolling high psi tire. I am running stock 26 inch TD-17 rims.

Can I do better for around $20-$25 a tire.

The street terrain will be asphalt, concrete on residential and semi-highway roads.

Any tips or ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks!
    I have that Kenda tire on a bike, and it's a fine commuter, but my favorite non-knobby for 26" is Michelin Rock in 2.1. That size is hard to find at this point, and LBS guys who share same love of that tire now like Conti Traffic in 2.1.

I like the big tires if not knobby because they have so much cornering power and still work off of pavement. The Kwest really is nice, but you just have more fun with a fat tire. I like the Kwest more than Ritchey Tom Slicks I have and Specialized Fat Boys I had. I also had a Conti slick. The slicks are just too scary when you have sand and dirt between pavement and tire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wm. L.
    I have that Kenda tire on a bike, and it's a fine commuter, but my favorite non-knobby for 26" is Michelin Rock in 2.1. That size is hard to find at this point, and LBS guys who share same love of that tire now like Conti Traffic in 2.1.

I like the big tires if not knobby because they have so much cornering power and still work off of pavement. The Kwest really is nice, but you just have more fun with a fat tire. I like the Kwest more than Ritchey Tom Slicks I have and Specialized Fat Boys I had. I also had a Conti slick. The slicks are just too scary when you have sand and dirt between pavement and tire.

Those Wildgripper Rocks look like they'd work great. However, I'm having a time finding them online. I think you gave me some good choices to look at. After seeing those, the Kendas are off the list.

Thanks!

Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention that I am 5 ft 11, and 225. I don't know how much that matters in the scheme of tires, but I'd thought I'd check.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Check These Out

Quote Originally Posted by 00 DUCK
    Those Wildgripper Rocks look like they'd work great. However, I'm having a time finding them online. I think you gave me some good choices to look at. After seeing those, the Kendas are off the list.

Thanks!

Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention that I am 5 ft 11, and 225. I don't know how much that matters in the scheme of tires, but I'd thought I'd check.

Before I bought a road bike this year, I have these tires on dedicated Mustang rims:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=TI707A26

They are Hutchinson 1" inch airlight slicks made specifically for 26" MTB wheels. I have been using 650 CC tubes w/ put any problems. On my hardtail, I would kick major butt on ashphalt. But, since getting my OCR1, well I am just that much faster

Seriously, get these and a dedicated rims. They roll fast and have very good control on the road. max out the PSI and you will be flyin.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Another good suggestion. However, those are a little too slick for me.

Can anyone recommend any tubes? Do I neeed any special tubes for the michelin Rocks?
    Or will just about anything do?

I found some of the Rocks at mud sweat & Gears. They are the 26 x 1.75 size tires. I didn't find any at 2.0.