mtbr member
    Jan 2008

looking for real stats on 2010 Weirwolf Race 2.1

Has anyone got their hands on the 2010 Weirwolf 2.1 Race. Looking to see it mounted up and what the weight is. Seeing that the TCS 2.3 is heavier then expected dont feel like dropping 50 bucks on a tire I wont use. Any help will be great, a ride report would be awesome.

Thanks
    Parlee Z5
    Alliance 29er

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

compared to 2.3 tsc

Quote Originally Posted by KenDobson
    Has anyone got their hands on the 2010 Weirwolf 2.1 Race. Looking to see it mounted up and what the weight is. Seeing that the TCS 2.3 is heavier then expected dont feel like dropping 50 bucks on a tire I wont use. Any help will be great, a ride report would be awesome.

Thanks
    Just took a look at those in my shop. Much lighter than the 2.3 tsc (sorry didn't weigh it).

It might be what you're looking for in a race tire but compared to the 2.3, the tread is different. I wouldn't buy it w/o holding it first.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Do you happen to have a photo of the difference. Are you sure they both are the 2010 models? Thanks
    Parlee Z5
    Alliance 29er

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Just mounted up a pair of 2010 Weirwolf Race tires (both 2.1) on Mavic 517 rims . Prior to installing, I put them on the digital scale and they weighed 696 and 706 grams respectively, which is well within the 700 gram listed weight.

They felt burly in my hands and once I installed them, these initial impressions seemed to be right on. Much more volume than the original 2.1 Weirwolf (which I liked a lot). I had less than a quarter inch clearance between the right seatstay of my '03 Santa Cruz Superlight and the 2010 WW tire. (I will admit the dishing on my back wheel is off just a wee bit, though. Still, a big 2.1 tire). Sorry all, I didn't take casing or tread measurements with the calipers for this tire.

Just riding them around the neighborhood the tires seemed to roll much slower than the Prowler MX 2.1 tires I took off. The new Weirwolfs have a much more all mountain feel to them. Being more of an XC/ agressive XC guy, I ended up returning them and picking up another pair of Prowlers.

So, I think you need to check your prioritities before purchasing. Really aggressive riders with longer travel bikes will probably dig 'em. Lighter XCish riders who do long loops, lots of climbing, and technical but not insane downhill stunts may find the new WW's to be a bit too much tire.
    Last edited by hkmeup; 04-09-2010 at 01:22 PM.