super absorbent

Looking for mate to Panaracer Fire XC Pro UST

Me: 165 pound weight weenie type. Not overly neurotic about weight but like to keep things lean if I can.

My bike: Scalpel 2000 with full XTR, Mavic tubeless rims and Hugi hubs.

Where I ride: Pacific Northwest(Portland, OR) - damp most of the year, dry as a bone in the Summer.

My bike originally came with some Michelin Wildgripper Comp S tires and I've put enough miles on them to warrant some new rubber. I do a lot of riding on pavement and fire roads during the wetter months so the Wildgrippers have seemed OK for the most part. The front, however, didn't seem to inspire me with the most confidence when blazing down sketchy fire roads or around loose corners on trails.

Well, I recently found a good deal on a Panaracer Fire XC Pro and decided to pick it up on a recent order along with some Eggbeaters. I placed the Fire on the rear since the tread on my back tire was disappearing the quickest. I've only managed to put one shortish ride on my new tire along a fire road since I've had it since the wet and cold weather seems to have returned with a vengeance after 3 weeks of sun and 70 degrees(doh!). Anyway, the Fire seemed fine but I really haven't had a chance to fully put it throught the paces.

My questions are these: Should I mate the Fire on the rear with another Fire up front? Should I move the Fire to the front and run the Wildgripper(or something else) in the back? Should I keep the Fire in back and run something new up front? Tubeless is obviously a necessity. If possible, I'd like something comfortable, well-handling and on the lighter side - not too much to ask, eh?
    The more complicated it is, the more that can go wrong.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Fire Mate

Here are some opinions from a long-time Panaracer fan, and fellow Oregon (Hood River) resident:

1. The fires work great on the front and rear in most conditions, though they are awful in mud, packing up badly.

2. You could buy another fire, or put your existing fire up front, and mount a trailblaster in back (if available tubeless--not sure).

3. I have heard the cinder is a better front tire than the fire, but am not sure if it is available tubeless.

FWIW, I always ran the fires in the "front" direction on both ends of the bike for less rolling resistance. Once the back was half-worn, I would reverse it to the "rear" direction for better traction until it was toast.

mtbr member

try the Cinder up front

Quote Originally Posted by ChipAllen
    Me: 165 pound weight weenie type. Not overly neurotic about weight but like to keep things lean if I can.

My bike: Scalpel 2000 with full XTR, Mavic tubeless rims and Hugi hubs.

Where I ride: Pacific Northwest(Portland, OR) - damp most of the year, dry as a bone in the Summer.

My bike originally came with some Michelin Wildgripper Comp S tires and I've put enough miles on them to warrant some new rubber. I do a lot of riding on pavement and fire roads during the wetter months so the Wildgrippers have seemed OK for the most part. The front, however, didn't seem to inspire me with the most confidence when blazing down sketchy fire roads or around loose corners on trails.

Well, I recently found a good deal on a Panaracer Fire XC Pro and decided to pick it up on a recent order along with some Eggbeaters. I placed the Fire on the rear since the tread on my back tire was disappearing the quickest. I've only managed to put one shortish ride on my new tire along a fire road since I've had it since the wet and cold weather seems to have returned with a vengeance after 3 weeks of sun and 70 degrees(doh!). Anyway, the Fire seemed fine but I really haven't had a chance to fully put it throught the paces.

My questions are these: Should I mate the Fire on the rear with another Fire up front? Should I move the Fire to the front and run the Wildgripper(or something else) in the back? Should I keep the Fire in back and run something new up front? Tubeless is obviously a necessity. If possible, I'd like something comfortable, well-handling and on the lighter side - not too much to ask, eh?
    I run the UST Fire XCPro 2.1 on back and the non-UST Cinder 2.25 on the front.
    I find the UST much better than the non-UST Fire XCPro.

Up front, the non-UST Cinder hooks up and tracks better than the non-UST XCPro. It may be partially due to the size difference (from 2.1 - 2.25). I don't think the Cinder comes in a UST model yet. Hopefully there will be more UST Tires available soon.
    It's not how good you look......it's how well you ride !

super absorbent
    Thanks for the input guys. Hey kosmo, what happened to our sunny 70 degree weather?
    The more complicated it is, the more that can go wrong.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

With a deep, guttural, Austrian accent.....

Quote Originally Posted by ChipAllen
    Thanks for the input guys. Hey kosmo, what happened to our sunny 70 degree weather?
    Hasta la vista, baby!

Start building the ark!