mtbr member
    Jul 2011

looking for hardtail enduro tire choices

So im looking for a new set of tires for my hardtail, its built up as a AM/enduro/light FR bike, usually ride around colorado and moab, though i have a 6 inch enduro/freeride bike, i like to take the hardtail to the resorts every now and then as its super fun in the bike parks. and i want to try a couple enduro style races this year.

I had the 2.4 black chili trail kings on it at first, they were awesome on descents but just way too big, heavy, and slow rolling, killed the quickness feel of a hardtail. then i went to some old 2.5 DHR's i had lying around, those were a little better but still a little too much girth and weight.

so im thinking either 2.2 black chili trail kings front and rear (the 2.2 is supposed to be a lot faster rolling, and its a lot lighter)

or a 2.4 black chili x king front and rear.

or a 2.2 trail king front, 2.2 x king rear.

muddy mary front big betty rear.

and i was also looking at the specialized butcher control, and purgatory.

ive always ran tires as a pair, never a different front and rear, but id really like to try it.
    i always like having a super responsive grippy front that turns in really well, but gradually loses grip rather than has tons of grip then suddenly looses it. and i like the rear to be a little loose turning in, but be easy to control and bring it back if i need.

so having a grippier front, better rolling rear could suit me pretty well.

anyone have some advice? ridden any of these tires?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Stay away from an X-king if you want any sort of reliable grip. Hate those tires, but it may work as a rear...also check out the Kenda BBG - great all around dry weather tire, and it corners/brakes like a dream while still being fast rolling.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by donkeykong0 View Post
    Stay away from an X-king if you want any sort of reliable grip. Hate those tires, but it may work as a rear...also check out the Kenda BBG - great all around dry weather tire, and it corners/brakes like a dream while still being fast rolling.
    yeah ive been reading more reviews on the x-king, seems like something id only want in the rear. I' think at the moment im really leaning towards front and rear 2.2 trail kings, maybe a 2.3 barron in the front.

what about the mountain king II (newer version) as a rear?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Mountain King II on the rear pairs up pretty well with a Trail King front and rolls noticeably faster than a full set of 2.2 Trail Kings. It does get bounced around a bit more than the Trail King in the rough stuff so the rear end will get loose easier, making it harder to hold a line. Generally speaking, it trades off some grip for more speed, but the most noticeable difference to me is how the Trail King feels more planted and secure.

The 2.3 Baron on the front is also a sweet match with a 2.2 Trail King rear. Slows things down a tad, but when things get wet, sloppy, or super loose, it just keeps gripping like you wouldn't believe. I really like this tire, but for 99% of my riding it's just too much tire and I'm better off with something faster & less grippy.

As for the X-King, dear god no, not even on the rear. To me, the X-King is more of an XC race tire than anything else, it simply doesn't come close to the grip of a Mountain King II and is completely outclassed by the Trial King. Once the trails get steep or loose I have to slow way down on the X-king to avoid sliding out.