mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Looking for good tires for wet slimy rocks.

I don't have a lot of confidence in my Rocket Rons when the rocks and roots get slimy. With fall coming-which is fairly damp in my area, the rocks get pretty slimy and don't get a chance to dry out. So I am looking for a tire that will help keep me upright. Bonus points for tires that don't weigh a ton and roll well..... Any suggestions?

Steve

mtbr member
    Bontrager XR4/XR3. Spec Purgatory/GC. Those are popular around here on slippery rocks and roots.
    Do the math.

MTB B'dos
    Um, OP, whcih compound do you have Trailstar or Pacestar? If you've got Pacestar, no wonder, that is absolutely horrible on anything wet, Trailstar is a lot better - new Addix compound changes things there a bit. For me, for what you describe, anything Maxxis 3c, most likely the HR2 or DHF. Get a dedicated mud/wet tyre, they will perform better than other tyres designed for dry use.
    Curious what version on those Bonti tyres you're using LR that you find they work in the wet? I tried XR3 Team Issue and they were down right scary as fock on anything wet and slippery.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Bontrager XR4/XR3. Spec Purgatory/GC. Those are popular around here on slippery rocks and roots.
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Um, OP, whcih compound do you have Trailstar or Pacestar? If you've got Pacestar, no wonder, that is absolutely horrible on anything wet, Trailstar is a lot better - new Addix compound changes things there a bit. For me, for what you describe, anything Maxxis 3c, most likely the HR2 or DHF. Get a dedicated mud/wet tyre, they will perform better than other tyres designed for dry use.
    Curious what version on those Bonti tyres you're using LR that you find they work in the wet? I tried XR3 Team Issue and they were down right scary as fock on anything wet and slippery.
    I find SE3 to be superior. They should be same rubber as the team XR but they're a favorite.

Also consider there are 2.4 inch versions now. I have SE3 29 on rear of two bikes and the new SE4. The new SE4 is seriously fast feeling for a true knobby and great at a site that's pretty much greased sharp rock and roots.

My best solution for wet slimy rocks is Hodags on the fattie.

Nothing is perfect. My recent seasons love for the Bontrager 3 and 4 is mostly about overall versatility. My region has bare igneous rock, sedimentary rock, blue groove packed dirt, sand and all the crap glaciers left behind or pushed into hills. They pretty much work for all of it. They don't pack with mud as fast as other quick tires.

I have not owned and only tried the 2.4 "3" tread. The 2.4 versions of "4" treads take the Bontrager speed and give you some Maxxis sideways performance. They're tires that feel pretty good when things move around under your feet.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'll second the xr4 in the 2.4 size. I run it in the rear here in Pa during the fall and winter months.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think that a wet rock/root tire is different than an advertised mud tire. Lower profile tread with soft rubber seems to work best for me for the wet roots/rocks. But this doesn't work as well on slimy cake batter mud in flat turns.

The taller knobs on spiky mud tires feel like they squirm too much on roots/rocks.

On One Chunkey Monkey and Smorgasbord are good wet rock/root tires and made off the Ardent casing but have short knobs and soft rubber.

MTB B'dos
    Damn, can't believe I forgot the Smorgasbord and Chunky Monkey, such a great tyre combo and EXCELLENT in the wet/slippery stuff. BONUS, they're about the least expensive tyres you can buy, just don't try to ship them to an address that doesn't match your CC, On One won't do it

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl View Post
    I think that a wet rock/root tire is different than an advertised mud tire. Lower profile tread with soft rubber seems to work best for me for the wet roots/rocks. But this doesn't work as well on slimy cake batter mud in flat turns. The taller knobs on spiky mud tires feel like they squirm too much on roots/rocks.

On One Chunkey Monkey and Smorgasbord are good wet rock/root tires and made off the Ardent casing but have short knobs and soft rubber

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the responses.
    I have been running the RoRos for a few years and haven't kept up on tires. I started looking around, and there are a lot of choices out there! Didn't really even know where to start and will check these suggestions out.

My tires are the Pacestar. would the newer compound make a very noticeable difference?

I am leaning against big knobs as mud isn't really a big issue, and my current rims are probably a little narrow for the 2.4s. (older set of Roval SLs )

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Beaver 2.25 is excellent in my experience.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Hans Dampf in soft compound will be really good as long as it isn't too muddy.

mtbpete
    With wet roots and rocks a soft compound rubber works best. Kenda has some of the grippiest compounds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What is your opinion of the spech Purgatory and Ground Control?

I was able to get a demo bike with a Purgatory on the front and a Ground Control on the back. Both in the Control version. Seemed to hook up well climbing and cornered well. I used a 2 mile loop to set up suspension and tire pressure. The loop is fairly flat semi twisty single track with a little bit of roots n stuff. Got a PR on it the second lap. On that lap, was impressed at cornering grip compared to my RoRos and seemed to be able to carry speed through the corners. The demo is a similar bike though about 3 lbs heavier-wheels and tires.

Today I did a quick ride in some roots after it rained the tires weren't quite as impressive and didn't SEEM like they were any better on the wet roots than my tires. Should have brought both bikes.....

MTB B'dos
    I think you came to your own conclusion about those tyres and it matches what I found.... not too bad in the dry, not too good in the wet

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebiker View Post
    What is your opinion of the spech Purgatory and Ground Control?
    Today I did a quick ride in some roots after it rained the tires weren't quite as impressive and didn't SEEM like they were any better on the wet roots than my tires. Should have brought both bikes.....