always licking the glass

Looking for a good match to the Rekon 2.6

So as Iím getting tires sorted, Iím finding Iím getting away from the DHF, despite riding on it for years.

For my hardtail, Iím running 3.0 and 2.8 HR2s. For my DH rig, Iím running DHR2 2.4 WT front and rear.

Now for my trail bike, I really like the Rekon 2.6 in the back. Iím debating on trying the butcher (2.6 or 2.8, since the butcher isnít as high volume as the Rekon or DHF Iím looking at the 2.8) for the front, something with enough volume to match the rear.

I have the DHF 2.6 on it right now, and while I like the bigger volume compared to the 2.5 WT, it feels like it gives out on the corners a lot and Iím gonna find myself in the ground from the front wheel sliding out.

Iím curious if itís an air pressure thing: Iíve run them from 20-24.

Thereís no 2.6 DHR2, or that would be perfect.

Any thoughts?
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Writer, MTB4Her.

mtbr member
    I now run the Forkaster front/Rekon rear 2.6 (on 35mm inside rim). And have run the DHF, Highroller II, Rekon, Nobby Nic in 2.8 on 40mm inside rim . I like the 2.6 Forksaster better then all of them. I will be picking another Forkaster to put on the rear. It has great grip in all conditions.

Barely in control
    The Butcher 2.8 has shorter knobs than the 2.6 - 5mm vs 6mm. Just so you know.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by RSAmerica View Post
    I now run the Forkaster front/Rekon rear 2.6 (on 35mm inside rim). And have run the DHF, Highroller II, Rekon, Nobby Nic in 2.8 on 40mm inside rim . I like the 2.6 Forksaster better then all of them. I will be picking another Forkaster to put on the rear. It has great grip in all conditions.
    Ok, cool. What do you like in the front? I'm going to try the DHF 2.6 in the front again once I get my Derbys back on. I figured out part of the problem is I need to be running more reasonable rims than ones that are 28mm IW..:/

Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    The Butcher 2.8 has shorter knobs than the 2.6 - 5mm vs 6mm. Just so you know.
    Yep. The wider the tire, the shorter and more spaced out the knobs seems to be the thing. But both feel like crap if you run the pressure below 28psi. The sidewall on the gripton is too soft and folds over pretty fast.
    Writer, MTB4Her.

MTB B'dos
    AFAIK you're a lady, right Stripes, so guessing geared up you don't even hit 150lbs? If that's the case, those pressures are WAY too high, heck geared I'm about 180-190lbs and I run my DHF 2.3" on i29 rim at about 19-21 PSI depending on the type of trail and speed I'm riding. My friend who's about 170lbs geared runs his 2.3"s on i35 rims at around 17-18 PSI. To me the DHF beats the DHR2 for flat out performance and is more predictable and can be pushed harder.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    AFAIK you're a lady, right Stripes, so guessing geared up you don't even hit 150lbs? If that's the case, those pressures are WAY too high, heck geared I'm about 180-190lbs and I run my DHF 2.3" on i29 rim at about 19-21 PSI depending on the type of trail and speed I'm riding. My friend who's about 170lbs geared runs his 2.3"s on i35 rims at around 17-18 PSI. To me the DHF beats the DHR2 for flat out performance and is more predictable and can be pushed harder.
    Yep definitely female but a bit off on weight. Iím 195 lbs now with gear. Down from 200.

Iíll put back on the DHF 2.6 and rekon 2.6 once I put back on my derbyís.
    Writer, MTB4Her.

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    Yep. The wider the tire, the shorter and more spaced out the knobs seems to be the thing. But both feel like crap if you run the pressure below 28psi. The sidewall on the gripton is too soft and folds over pretty fast.
    I'm using the 2.6 on a 30mm rim at 18 psi. 170 geared up, feels fine. Haven't mounted the 2.8 yet.